It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

pud HB User
Does anyone else get days when they feel both physically and mentally ill??!!

Hello again everyone,
Haven't been on the board for a while as have just been to Spain for a week's holiday. This morning I woke up and thought "oh no, it's gonna be one of THOSE days again", days when I feel really very poorly, both physically and mentally, for no apparent reason. All I can do is look after myself well on these days, and fortunately my husband is understanding.
I have been taking the generic version of prozac (fluoxetine) for 3 weeks while weaning off my old anti-depressants, which just stopped working in the menopause - anxiety been bad in the meno. I have felt a bit better in some ways with this, but was told after 2 weeks I would feel a big change - haven't yet! Maybe they need longer.
Said to my husband, and a close friend who rang me this morning, that I can't believe the way I've been since in the menopause. Only for the fact my doc has done blood tests and I know I'm not ill (well, suppose I am really because the hormones are poweful chemicals and they are all going bonkers!), but I'm not ill in the way most people interpret it. How can these harsh little chemicals make you feel so absolutely lousy, and more importantly, I wonder how long it goes on for? (mine has been about 18 months now).
Anyone can reply on any of the things I've mentioned above.
Much love to you all.
Pud
xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
(female)

poplar HB User
Re: Does anyone else get days when they feel both physically and mentally ill??!!

I feel the same way today! I am on prozac also and xanax. I just don't want to do anything at all cause I feel like I am in a fog all the time. I don't want to clean, go to the grocery, go anywhere for that matter, I can't concentrate enough to even read a book. I am up and down all night using the bathroom or feeling hot. I haven't had any test for meno I am just guessing thats what it is because I am 50 and I don't have any periods. The thing about that though is I had a ablation last January to stop heavy periods and it stopped my monthly all together so I don't know if I am not having periods because of the procedure or menopause. So yes I do feel like you do and what are we going to do and when will it end?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Does anyone else get days when they feel both physically and mentally ill??!!

I am 43 and in the perimenopause. But it all feels bad to me. I am in a fog. Forgetful, somedays everything feels crummy mentally and physically. I have had cramps and bloating for days. I think my period is starting slow today and will only last a couple of days. Today I am dizzy and slow. Good grief! I felt nauseated then raveness...ate terriable just now...had grape pop, chips and salsa, a pack of little debbie chocolate ho ho's and some chicken noodle soup. UGH! I am craving salts and sugars right now. I just did myself in. I feel like a nap. I usually take better care of myself. Somedays I don't care.
I too find it hard getting out and running errands. Some times I stay at home and just surf the net in my comfy chair...I don't know... I am just going through weird hormone things with plenty of anxiety.
There is a cycle because I just made it through my night sweats part of the month...I don't know... help! I know you can relate...some of you can! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I am a little different because I had a hysterectomy at 35 but did not know for sure when my perimenopause was starting. And then suddenly 6 years ago, boom, all the mood swings, hot flashes, night sweats, all hit me at once.

I havae done fine with estrogen only, but I wanted to try and wean off of it.
Under a doctor's supervision I got off. I am now 58. We thought it was time. Nope!
suddenly I was back in the middle of all the night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, no energy, lackadaisacal (sp) & just not myself at all. I cannot stay asleep at night. That might be why I feel so drained.

So I decided life is too short for me to feel this way. I want to be able to feel happy with my grandchildren and my husband etc, and jog and do all the things I want to do. Not being on the estrogen has been the pits.

I am pretty unhappy about this. but I am taking .5 until the symptoms abate and then .25 or else one pill every other day--to get to the lowest dose. My dr said she didn't think it was even worth it to take such a low amt. But my aunt is 83 and is STILL on a low dose every other day and she is sharper than a tack. Aslo there is no history or heart disease or breast cancer in my mother's family.

Is anyone on this thread on any hormones? what about women who say they never had a hot flash---is that possible?

Last edited by golfhat; 06-13-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
(female)

Buzzbabe3 HB User

I dont think I have had the traditional hot flash...which is why I get a bit worried...would think a normal hot flash might make me think that this is really meno...I still get my cycle and the only type of hot feeling I have gotten...has been in hte last few years...every now and then I felt really warm when noone else did...it would last a few minutes but no awful sweaty thing...But man the other symptoms I have...well I might trade them for an occasional hot flash..although you all make them sound pretty terrible...but I get this internal shaking trembling thing...and weird feelings in my head. YUCK! I get the anxiety and have the trouble sleeping...Thank goodness I saw these symptoms as an addition to the 34 Menopause Signs and now I have seen a ton of boards on the internal trembling thing...so I am part of that FUN club...weeeeeee...I just keep on...try not to let it get above me and keep fighting it.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
(female)

pud HB User

Looking at all your replies, it would seem there's so many symptoms of the menopause, not all of us get the "traditional" ones like the hot flashes, and oh how I love these women who when I explain how I'm feeling say "I never had any bother at all with my menopause"!! How lucky are they??!!
As well as swopping to Prozac (which I don't think is doing anything and in fact I think is making me worse) and trying to wean off my old anti-depressant, I've also got hrt, only been taking one month, but it hasn't done anything - except give me a period again! - so I'm stopping that after this month. I had them before and they seemed to work, but not this time, unfortunately. I am going to see my doc next week and think I will just stay on my old anti-depressants, even tho' they didn't seem to work in the meno, as I think I can cope with that and riding through the anxiety better than the way I feel now!!
Had a crummy day again today, stayed in bed most of it when my husband went off to play golf and my daughter returned to university. No motivation to do anything in the house, tired, internal trembling, just felt YUCK!
I am going to try and get on with some ironing now. Just as well we've all got each other on these boards as we really do understand what's going on.
Much love to you all.
Pud
xxx

Old 06-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
(female)

Buzzbabe3 HB User

Hang in there..sorry you are having a bad one. I am ok today...two days without the anti anxiety but not much sleep. Be thankful that you can just hang out for the day...sometimes we need that with no pressure from others to perform. I am fighting the anti dep thing...every doc i have talked to (3) mentioned taking it. I am worried that it will give me other symptoms to deal with and right now...NO THANKS! Going to increase the exercise...and pray...ALOT!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Some of the symptoms you describe sound like fibromyalgia. Check out those boards and see if you match with it. I had fibromyalgia (FMS) years way before menopause. A low dose of antidepressant before bedtime to get into a deep sleep which is needed to restore muscle to avoid the aches and overwhelming fatigue. I took Prozac and became extremely depressed within a week or two of taking it. I hallucinated on Zoloft. I ended up taking Pamiliar. It kind of helped??? I would sleep for maybe 4 hours. I stopped taking it after menopause. It just doesnt do it. I fall asleep watching tv. (thank goodness I hit the record button before I did or I would miss the the bachelor and American Idol finales) I get in bed and I am wide awake. Hot, cold, toss, turn.....I finally fall asleep for a couple of hours and then ta da it's time to shake and bake. I get up tired, spend the day tired and just try to be cheerful. My chihuahuas are always so happy so I have to focus on the good things. Menopause is horrible because of all the symptoms that go with it. Ha I still hang on to my tampons hoping beyond hope that maybe I can get my periods back...and go back to the good ole days. egads...We shall get through this.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User

I can so relate to all of these posts. I have days where I want to do NOTHING! I have no motivation. Some days are better than others. I haven't posted for awhile because I've been trying to focus on other things. But with all the BAD NEWS on TV these days..It just makes it easier to vent about my peri woes and I do believe it helps get things out. One thing I will share with all of you is that good nutrition is going to be KEY in helping us feel better. I have noticed a change..ever so slight but I think long term it will help and only get better. I am not sure I am allowed to say a name of a product on here. If someone tells me that I can..I will. But I've been taking some organic whole food prenatal vitamins and I've seen an increase in energy as well as an improvement in skin and hair. And as we all know with hormone levels going up and down it takes a toll on our hair and skin. I'll tell you guys what the brand is when or if I get the OK. But I think they are helping. Also, Omega 3's..and they have to be the high end stuff. Pharmacuetical grade. Don't get the cheap stuff. I've noticed with taking that my joints are not nearly as stiff as they used to be. Strecthing out is much easier. It's like I've been oiled properly. I'm taking this one day at a time. I clearly think the mental part of peri is harder to deal with than the physical. There are days when I just have to say this will pass because I feel soooooooooooo down and depressed. Eat right and exercise are my bits of advice. And prenatl vitamins..the good ones really do help!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
(female)

goupie HB User

I understan completely how you feel. I am 35 and just went through a hysterectomy and 1 ovary removed. I take prozac and xanax, though hope to soon be able to wean off of the xanax. I am 10 weeks post op and have been experiencing very bad mood swings, inability to sleep some days and other days I could sleep all day if you let me. I also have anxiety and depression which started at the age of 9, though I have never experienced any kind of the moodiness and tiredness I have experienced since my operation. I actually admitted myself into the phsyc ward last week because I just did not want to deal with life anymore. I have never been so down in my life, and the worst part is that no one around me understands. I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
(female)

kellybethga HB User

I'm 36 and had a hysterectomy (removal of ovaries as well) about 7 mos ago. I'm on hormones but trying to find the right balance. I've had all of the symptoms - night sweats so bad it feels like you've wet the bed, hot flashes, STILL HOT ALL THE TIME (like when I was pregnant). I've gained 21 lbs and I'm a physical and emotional mess. All with a 5-year-old at home. I feel fatigued a lot of the time, have shortness of breath. I take Effexor XR 75 mg, Trazodone 100 mg (for sleep) and xanax .5 mg as needed (but I need more!). I don't know if this will help anyone. I do find the trazodone for sleep EXTREMELY helpful. If I take this at bedtime I can sleep 9 hours.

Closed Thread