It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
(female)

KEC51 HB User
Red face Stomach Upset with perimenopause

Have been reading about everyones nausea but not sure if this is the same. Would sure like to hear from someone if it is. I am 50 and have had 3 bouts of hot flashes and severe night sweats over the last year. With each time this happens, I wake in the morning with a very upset and girgling stomach. It is not like I need to throw up but just a real sick feeling that things are not digesting right. My gut gets very loud and I can actually feel things moving as if it is either too fast or sluggish. This is the worst in the morning but can bother me throughout the day-feel the best at night. I am not having my periods when this is happening. I have had CAT scans, Upper GI with small bowel follow thru, blood work, stool tests, endoscopy etc. My internest says it is irritable bowel but I am thinking it is the beginning of menopause. I rarely ever feel bad if I am having regular periods--no periods equal hot flashes, night sweats and a sick gut. It is so disruptive, I can do nothing when I feel this ill. It is difficult to plan anything because I never know how I am going to feel in the morning or throughout the day. The hot flashes get worse as the day goes on. I have been taking HRT for 6 days with no relief. I have read that many people are having nausea as if they are pregnant but this is more like my gut is just not working correctly. Anyone out there with a diagnosis of irritable bowel and menopause symptoms? I am at my wits end. I bounce back and forth from being depressed because there is always something wrong with me to being anxious. Often when I eat it will bring on a hot flash or my stomach will start up with the churning.
It is interesting to read things on the internet and nausea is not listed as much of a symptom of menopause-----please help--hot and hopless:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

erynnsmama HB User
Re: Stomach Upset with perimenopause

Hi my friend

I too am having terrible stomach issues. I am 51 and haven't had a period in 6 months.
I have been on anti depressants for 18 years, but just weaned off three months ago.
I have just gone thru some really stressful events ie; hubby got laid, off, we are losing our house and our health insurance, we had to move 40 miles away into a rental (5 miles from the town i was born and grew up in though).
Lots of STUFF going on.
It always hits me in my stomach.
Xanax just at night to relax seems to really help me, but i started on estrogen yesterday, and this morning my tummy is really yucky this morning too.
How you doing today?

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-19-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

KEC51 HB User

Thanks for the reply. My stomach is better today but I have had 2 1/2 weeks of stomach upset-particularly in the am. It seems like if I take something to slow my bowels down (valium usually) then I will feel better for a bit. I have lost weight though over the last month and it sure does get old. Woke up this am with the bed soaking wet. I have now been on hormones for 7 days without much relief so calling the doctor for ANOTHER appointment. I probably need a larger dose. I hope all your troubles work out for you. I know that when I am stressed out about things I definitely have GI problems. That is where all my stress seems to show also.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

klogfo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEC51 View Post
Have been reading about everyones nausea but not sure if this is the same. Would sure like to hear from someone if it is. I am 50 and have had 3 bouts of hot flashes and severe night sweats over the last year. With each time this happens, I wake in the morning with a very upset and girgling stomach. It is not like I need to throw up but just a real sick feeling that things are not digesting right. My gut gets very loud and I can actually feel things moving as if it is either too fast or sluggish. This is the worst in the morning but can bother me throughout the day-feel the best at night. I am not having my periods when this is happening. I have had CAT scans, Upper GI with small bowel follow thru, blood work, stool tests, endoscopy etc. My internest says it is irritable bowel but I am thinking it is the beginning of menopause. I rarely ever feel bad if I am having regular periods--no periods equal hot flashes, night sweats and a sick gut. It is so disruptive, I can do nothing when I feel this ill. It is difficult to plan anything because I never know how I am going to feel in the morning or throughout the day. The hot flashes get worse as the day goes on. I have been taking HRT for 6 days with no relief. I have read that many people are having nausea as if they are pregnant but this is more like my gut is just not working correctly. Anyone out there with a diagnosis of irritable bowel and menopause symptoms? I am at my wits end. I bounce back and forth from being depressed because there is always something wrong with me to being anxious. Often when I eat it will bring on a hot flash or my stomach will start up with the churning.
It is interesting to read things on the internet and nausea is not listed as much of a symptom of menopause-----please help--hot and hopless:

Thank you for asking this question, I have been having stomach problems too. And when I have searched the medical web sites - I did not see stomach upset as a symptom- I did some research because a friend of mine, was relating a story about a women who thought she might be pregnant because of her stomach upset - she went to her doctor and he told her she was in peri-menopause - Anyway I am glad you asked the question- I feel much more at ease with my symptoms.

Last edited by klogfo; 06-22-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: correct my spelling

Old 06-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi everyone,

Another upset stomach here.

I've been drinking Pepto Bismol just to get through the day.

I'm on day 7 of HRT too and so far not much relief. I think we need to give it more time.

Chantal

Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
(female)

KEC51 HB User

Have been taking HRT for about 10 days now with little relief. Just got back from the Dr. and they are changing my dose and said if this didnt work they would add an Estrogen patch. I have been to the Dr. so many times that I asked them today if I could have a reserved parking space HA HA...I would sure like to get thru a night without a wet bed. My stomach issues are better but not sure if it is from the hormones or from taking medication to slow down my bowels. Maybe both. I know that I never had the stomach upset until I had the hot flashes and night sweats. I too have searched the internet and there is not much out there about stomach problems with menopause or peri-menopause. I have read through about every post on this sight however and it seems to be a more common problem than it is let on to be. I have had some relief just reading others posts and being able to post my own. My husband looks at me as if I am nuts. I keep thinking if he could be in my body for 24 hours it would scare the H---l out of him. They just dont have a clue how absolutely desperate and terrible you feel.
KEC51---Thanks for hearing from everyone--it does help.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
(female)

danmia HB User

I have been telling people about my stomach issues related to menopause for over 2 years now. I have had horrible symptoms, empty feeling espeically in the morning, nausea, IBS, horrible gas cramps it is by far the worst symptom I have. I also now take Prilosec which helps at least with the acid and heartburn I used to have. But this is just miserable, I can't go anywhere without the fear of it happening, I hardly eat anything now because it just seems to start it off even more plus I have no appetite. It is a comfort to see that others are having the same problems but honestly I just wish there were more doctors who recognised this as a real symptom of menopause.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
(female)

VRL HB User

I really had to dig deep to find information on stomach upset with menopause. It isn't widely advertised but it is true. Its like the worst pregnancy! It was serious with me. I lost 35 pounds so far. The things I found that helped (my arsonal) were OTC Emetrol (for nausea), Pepto and plant based digestive enzymes. I also take prilosec. I limit my wheat also.
Just so you know, it could be something more serious, but if it isn't you are not alone. I suffer with this. Its worse in the morning and fluctuates throughout the month.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
(female)

smvdelv HB User

I can so relate to this post. The stomach issues are what has brought me back to the boards today (I know I always feel better after reading posts on here). I have been struggling with stomach issues for over 10 years off and on - but more "on" now (I am going to be 51 in a month). Many years ago, I was diagnosed with IBS, which, in looking back, I know I had from childhood. A few years ago, I went through a bunch of tests - everything from a colonoscopy to CTScan, Endoscopic Ultrasound, vaginal ultrasound, to name a few! EVerything came back fine.

I am now going on 3 months without a period, only to start spotting again yesterday and today. Of course, this sends me into a panic, thinking I'm dying of some awful form of cancer. I wish I would just get my period or not get it, but the spotting freaks me out. Add to this the major gas, gurgling and diarrhea (which is brought on, I'm sure from the worry - a vicious cycle!) , and I'm an absolute mess.

A few years ago, I did start to keep a journal just to see if there is some sort of pattern to when the nausea or IBS stuff happens. I do seem to be worse mid-cycle, but now, after not having my period since April 24th, I have no idea where I"m at!

The whole peri, and menopause thing stinks, but I guess, in the big scope of things, it could be much worse. I am just the kind who can never think it's just menopause or IBS - it always has to be something catastrophic, and I hate feeling this way.

Hang in there, ladies. At least we have each other, right?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi,

I'm freaking a bit here too.

I have IBS and a redundant colon (extra colon) and recently started continuous combined HRT.

Two days ago my lower stomach became tender to push on. I have had some nausea too. The weird thing about the tenderness is that sometimes it seems to go away. My stomach gurgles and I have gas.

Can anyone relate? I'm not in pain, thank God.

I guess IBS can cause this.

Chantal

Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
(female)

Chelle2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEC51 View Post
Have been taking HRT for about 10 days now with little relief. Just got back from the Dr. and they are changing my dose and said if this didnt work they would add an Estrogen patch. I have been to the Dr. so many times that I asked them today if I could have a reserved parking space HA HA...I would sure like to get thru a night without a wet bed. My stomach issues are better but not sure if it is from the hormones or from taking medication to slow down my bowels. Maybe both. I know that I never had the stomach upset until I had the hot flashes and night sweats. I too have searched the internet and there is not much out there about stomach problems with menopause or peri-menopause. I have read through about every post on this sight however and it seems to be a more common problem than it is let on to be. I have had some relief just reading others posts and being able to post my own. My husband looks at me as if I am nuts. I keep thinking if he could be in my body for 24 hours it would scare the H---l out of him. They just dont have a clue how absolutely desperate and terrible you feel.
KEC51---Thanks for hearing from everyone--it does help.
The creepiest symptom I had when I was perimenopausing was nausea. Wow. There was barely NOTHING on the internet about it, so I know how you feel. My doctor ended up explaining to me that my peri-menopause was happening VERY RAPIDLY and the decrease of hormones was what was causing the nausea. He said some women get migraine headaches and others get the nausea. But there sure isn't enough written about this.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
(female)

smvdelv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle2 View Post
The creepiest symptom I had when I was perimenopausing was nausea. Wow. There was barely NOTHING on the internet about it, so I know how you feel. My doctor ended up explaining to me that my peri-menopause was happening VERY RAPIDLY and the decrease of hormones was what was causing the nausea. He said some women get migraine headaches and others get the nausea. But there sure isn't enough written about this.
The best way for me to describe it is like when I was pregnant, and after doing some reading, it made perfect sense, with the hormones going nuts and all...

Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi smvdelv,

Since you have IBS too, have you ever had tenderness in your lower abdomen? It's not pain, just tender.

It's been worse since I've had the nausea and menopause.

My body is going nuts!

Chantal

Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
(female)

VRL HB User

I agree. There hasn't been enough written about the nausea and IBS with menopause. Yet it is very real.
The thing I did to ease my nerves about it all was keeping a medical journal. That made me realize my symptoms changed thoughout the month and even a course of a day. They were worse in the morning and returned at night. And I noticed what foods made things worse. Not blamming the foods as much as hormones. But if I avoided certain foods I felt more comfortable. It changes the way you veiw breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in-between.
I eat more rice, less wheat. No soy (hidden in a lot of products) or alcohol (spikes my estrogen) or MSG (causes my migraines).
I have to remind myself that if it was something more serious it wouldn't keep flucuating.
Hard not to panic when you feel so terrible. My system was NEVER this sensitive. Its like the worse pregnancy ever! You are right. It could be worse. But now the question is, does it ever settle down?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
(female)

KEC51 HB User

Back again. My Dr. changed my HRT and after about 5 days the hot flashes and night sweats went away which was a huge relief. The constant stomach upset has not. Last year when all of this started I had a colonoscopy, CT of abdomen and pelvis, tons of blood work, upper GI with small bowel follow thru, and a pelvic/transvaginal ultrasound. Everything was normal. Eventually after losing several pounds from not being able to eat it all went away for about 6 months. During those 6 months I was having fairly regular periods. Then, back came the hot flashes, night sweats, nausea and no periods. Then it all went away again for about 4 months. Then it all came back again. I finally went to the Dr. and demanded hormones. Finally after 2 different types of pills I got rid of the hot flashes and night sweats. One threatens every now and then but nothing like it was before. I have not had a period since early May. But.....my gut is still a mess. The Dr.s all told me I had IBS which I think is their catch all bucket for a diagnosis of "we dont have a clue what is wrong with you." I went back to the internist last week. He says I have lost 6 pounds since the last time I was there which is not a shocker seeing as how food is often repulsive to me. This las week they drew more blood (havent heard back jack) and I had a gastric emptying study done. (Havent heard back on that either but I am pretty sure it was normal based on what they said when I was there.) The Dr. told me if it was normal that they would repeat the small bowel follow thru to make sure that when I do a capsule endoscopy (oh yeah-had and endoscopy last fall) the camera wont get stuck on its way thru my small bowel. Said there could be a narrowing if I had any Crohns Disease.
My gastric symptoms are as follows. I can usually tell when I wake up in the morning if I am going to have a good day or a bad day. I generally have to have a bowel movement within 15 minutes of waking and may have to have another 1 or 2 throughout the day. My nausea does not feel like Iam going to throw up-it is more mid abdomen and just feels like everything is churning. Lots of loud bowel sounds. I can lay my hand on my gut and feel everything moving around. Sometimes all of this goes away after a bowel movement but then if I eat, it often come back. Have cut alot out of my diet--the good stuff--hamburgers etc--I ate a hot dog at the movie the other day and it made me feel ill for hours. I am so sick of being sick and tired. I too have a very hard time believing this is all hormones. Sometimes I fell like crying and sometimes I feel like screaming but mostly anymore I just want everyone to leave me alone. I am not getting done all the things I would like to because I feel so lousy all the time. I would like to hear more of a description of everyones stomach problems. Dont know why, I guess if we are all feeling the same way it is less likely I am going to drop dead at any second.
P. S.---never had the stomach upset if I was having regular periods.

Closed Thread