It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

Bonnie Scotland HB User
Talking New member saying hello

and hoping to find some answers to my questions re end of periods.

Here is a bit about me and query, I am 52, 53 this year. I had my last, very light period in June 2007. the year before I had 2 very light periods thats all. I am still taking the pill but intending to stop next month when supply is finished. I reckon that I have finished the menopause, no known symtoms now.

My questions are .....

Is there anything to look out for stop taking the mini pill, been on it for 5 years approx.

Is a full year enough time to warrant not taking any other precautions ?

Now before somebody says see your doctor.... I do not have one, here we have to go private (not allowed to join the system) and my spanish won't cover this at all.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

GBug HB User
Re: New member saying hello

Bonnie-- Just wanted to say "hi" and welcome. I can't offer any advice because I haven't been on the pill in awhile. I'm sure someone here might be able to help. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Bonnie . . . my doctor says if you are not on pills or shots and you still have not had even staining or spotting after a year, you no longer need to worry about other methods of protection, so you will need to use something else until that time just to be safe.

Being on birth control can skew results, so you will need to count the time from after you stop taking it.

I am on Depo-Provera since age 36, started peri-menopause at 48, and am now 51 and still on the D-P. He is going to do more tests later on to see if I can go off of the D-P but I am still spotting and staining, so I am still potentially fertile.

Lindaru

Last edited by Lindaru; 07-14-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: To add something.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

Bonnie Scotland HB User

Hello and thanks for the welcome and info.

Lindaru ... Have a I understood you correctly, if I stop the pill now I have to wait another year, taking other type of precations, before I would be considered safe ?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Have you had any spotting or staining since your June 2007 period? If you have, you still need to be cautious for up to a year after you stop the pill.

There is a drug store test you can buy called FSH for follicle stimulating hormone which may indicate whether or not you have completed menopause, and if you take this and it shows you have, then you need not worry at all.

My doctor said once I stop spotting and staining, I am going off of the Depo-Provera and for a year, I watch to see if anything happens. If nothing does, he will give me a test and examination, and most likely it will show I have completed menopause.

Best of luck!

Lindaru ;~)

Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
(female)

Bonnie Scotland HB User

Lindaru No bleeding of any kind since June 2007. I will look for more info on the test, thanks.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
(female)

Bonnie Scotland HB User

pdate, have not found any definitive answer to my situation as yet. Have decided to stop mini pill at end of current packet next week.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

bonnie, although it's not entirely impossible for a woman over 50 to become pregnant naturally, it's most unlikely, indeed extremely rare, and particularly in your own case with you not having had a period for over 12 months. i know it's easy for me to say, but i really wouldn't worry about the unexpected patter of tiny feet!!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Bonnie and WELCOME!

I was on the pill and my Dr took me off of it and started me on hormone therapy (formerly known as HRT). I wear an estrogen patch and take prometrium.

I am almost 53 and have had a period since stopping the pill. It doesn't necessarily mean I ovulated but going off the pill has been a "shock" to my body and hormone balance.

Prior to stopping the pill I, however, did have some spotting/staining from time to time.

As for protection I agree with Sue. However, I am being "careful".

By the way, my Dr has me on continuous hormone therapy in the hope that a year from now I'll be period free.

Chantal

Closed Thread