It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
(female)

mckenneys3 HB User
how large is a 3.9 centimeter ovarian cyst?

how large is a 3.9 centimeter ovarian cyst?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: how large is a 3.9 centimeter ovarian cyst?

Hello McKenney,

Anything under 5 cm is usually considered normal if the cyst is a simple fluid filled one. Women have follicular cysts on their ovaries every month. These contain the eggs and at ovulation time, the most mature follicle will open and release the egg into the fallopian tube. Then the shell of the follicle will remain for a short time and eventually regress back into the ovary. Sometimes these shells close off and fill up with fluid (corpus luteal cysts) and sometimes the follicles themselves remain on the ovary past the current cycle. These types of cysts are called functional cysts because they are a part of a woman's normal function. Normal cysts can be as large as 5 cm so if your cyst is a fluid filled cyst and is 3.9 cm then it will most likely be gone in 1-3 menstrual cycles. If you are menopausal and are no longer ovulation or having periods then it is a bit more unusual to have an ovarian cyst BUT keep in mind that they now know that about 20% of postmenopausal women have ovarian cysts and that unilocular, thin walled, fluid filled ovarian cysts are still common at this age and quite harmless.

Most ovarian cysts are completely benign but they cause us a world of worry (believe me, I KNOW). The important thing to know is first of all what kind of cyst it is (fluid filled, solid or a bit of both), secondly its size and thirdly to consider at what stage of life you are experiencing these things (pre or post menopause). Premenopausal women get cysts as a matter of course and although postmenopausal women are less likely to have cysts on their ovaries, it is now known (thanks to the ultrasound) that a large number of them also have ovarian cysts. At this age, however, it is prudent to keep a closer eye on them, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this information has helped you. Come back and let us know how things are going. All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread