It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Laura_45 HB User
Two Years Past One - There is Hope!

Hi... I used to post here 4 years ago when my journey began in full force. I am now 2 years past one-year-since-last-period. Things have definitely gotten better, thank God almighty!! I had a rough one. Thankfully there were some very nurturing people here to reassure me that I wasn't going crazy. My energy has come back quite a bit, however, not like it was before all this started. I never expected it to return 100% with age and all. The body behaves a lot differently without so much estrogen. I still get headaches once in awhile and get the occassional cluster of hot flashes. In fact, I'm just a lot warmer in general, than I used to be. When I was going through peri, I was cold quite a bit. Anyway, one other thing is, the stress. I can't take much stress or drama at all anymore. I took a look at the people around me and decided a few of them had to go. Wow. I guess I didn't see them for what they were because I was too involved with feeling awful. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but maybe with time that too will get better. I also had a female doctor who gave me the facts as she saw them and said most women, 2 years before their last period and 2 or 3 years after, are the hardest. And I found that to be true for me as well. So take heart if you are within that window of your journey. Of course you won't know if you are 2 years before, but if you are skipping several months at a time, then you are right on the doorstep of your last one. Also, I begged my regular man doctor for BCPs when my hormone levels were bouncing and he flipped out. He said that's too much hormones for this particular stage in life. I find out several years later it's because the medical community is now trying to connect HRT use in menopausal women with breast cancer. So think twice before you ask for HRT. I even tried the bio-identical type and honestly, it didn't do much good. In fact, I think it made me feel worse.

I'll hang around here for awhile in case I can be of help to anyone, answering questions or providing feedback. I like to give back and I am grateful for those who were here for me when I needed help.

Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
(female)

babsbaby HB User
Re: Two Years Past One - There is Hope!

Hi Laura,

I'm peri-menopausal - well I think I am. I can't remember when my last period was as I never really take any notice of it. My whole life I've never bothered about when my period was due as it never caused any problem (guess I was quite lucky) and it seems that my menopause is going to be the same way. I have hot flushes which last a few seconds but that's about it. Do you think this sounds OK or am I in for one hell of a sock maybe 6 months down the line ??? eeeek.

Barb

Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Laura,

I'm 53 and right in the middle of it all.

I was on the bcp until I had problems with my blood pressure and heart rate. So now my Dr (female) has me on continuous conbined hormones: the vivelle dot patch and prometrium. However, I can tell my hormones are still low.

I've had just about every symptom there is. The insomnia, stomach issues and general fatigue are the worse. Also the woozy head is a bummer too.

Please tell me it gets better. I hate the insomnia. It's weird I can sleep all day and then be up all night. My body is really a mess.

Thanks for coming back to lend your support. I feel like this is a journey to he** and back. Hopefully I'll come back!

Chantal

Old 08-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi ladies, I've been eaves dropping on your posts, and very interesting for a peri-menpausal 47 yo.
Could someone please tell me what is bcp? e.g. I was on the bcp . . . . . is this the birth control pill? And why would that be taken during menopause?

I'm a bit new to the menopause board, and feel there's lots to learn.

Currenly I'm administering progesterone cream daily, no periods, and when there is a period, very very light and scanty.

Big problems with anxiety and depression, now taking Effexor + Seroquel.
Is it possible that menopause too is contributing to my current health woes.
2007 Dx Hashimotos, 2006/8 Dx BPD tendency, 2008 Dx CFS + Vit D defic. gee what comes next? a coffin . . . . . .lol (sarcasam 0000)

regards, waratah

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-25-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
(female)

babsbaby HB User

Hi there W,

Where do you use the progesterone cream ??? It seems that you ladies have big concerns with menopause - I'm just hoping that it doesn't happen to me because it's all doom and gloom. Except for a couple of hot flushes I am exactly the same, full of energy, sleep great, laugh a lot, eat healthily, exercise. Maybe it's the exercise that keeps it at bay? mmmmmm

Barb

Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
(female)

shoshik HB User

Hi everybody,

My sister in law is 53, and she's been using Peruvian Maca with great success. She was quite poor with all the hot flashes and migraine, then she found Maca over the internet, and started with 2 pills a day at the beginning, once she felt good, she reduced it on 1 pill a day. As far as I understood, Maca is effecting hormonal glands to produce the hormones in a balance.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

Hi Barb,

From what I've read, there might be some correlation to how bad your puberty transition was and how bad your menopause transition will be. When I started having periods at age 12, I got very sick every month. This didn't let up until I started taking the pill at age 16. I started getting sick every month again in my mid to late 30s and started peri at age 40. Watching my daughter, who is 30, I would say the women in my family are hormone sensitive and I think this has a lot to do with how good or bad ones journey might be. With any luck, you'll get by without too much trouble. You're in the right place being here, because you have learned all the symptoms to look for. My mother's generation didn't have peri-menopause so all they know about is night sweats and hot flashes. Sometimes I think peri can be worse for some women (me) than actual menopause.

You lucky person!

Laura

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-25-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

Hi Chantal, (love your name!)

Ya, I forgot to mention the stomach problems. Mine got worse just after I stopped having periods and didn't get any better for about a year. I still have problems from time to time. Main thing for that is eat smaller meals so your stomach doesn't get really full and try to limit things like dairy, high fat foods, high protein, spicy and acidic foods. Don't avoid them, just cut back at meal times.

I had the same insomnia problems. It was all I could do to get to work before 9:00am and my start time is 8:00am. I had to stay late to make up for it. Then I would be so exhausted when I got home, I would fall asleep, sometimes skipping dinner. I wouldn't wake up until 10pm and then couldn't get back to sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning. It was AWFUL! The ONLY thing that snapped me out of that was getting a dog... I am serious. I live in a condo, so unless I want her peeing in the bedroom, I have to get up and let her out, then she barks because she wants her breakfast. But I live alone so there wasn't anything else to motivate me to stay on a good schedule, not even sheer will. So... I feel for you on that one. It may or may not get better. It runs in my family too, so if it runs in your family, you may have a time with it.

My body was a real mess too and it was depressing. That's why I thought I'd come back here and lend a little support, even if just to say "It DOES get better!!" I know that will make you feel better, so hang in there! It takes about a year or two after you stop having periods.

Laura

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-25-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

BCP = birth control pills. I think I may have misrepresented when I said something about taking BCPs during my journey. I thought I was in peri when I was actually post-meno according to the folicle test. I was still having gushing periods twice a month. It just took awhile for my periods to stop even though my ovaries had already quit working.

I had big problems with anxiety and depression too. I probably would have been dx'd with BPD if I had sought help for the emotional problems. Instead, I just hunkered down and went through it. Talked a lot on the phone to one or two close friends. Smoked a lot of cigarettes in my garage. Bad, yes, I know, but I quit, so... everybody has their own ways of coping. My dad and step mother both passed away during my transition. I also bought my first place and had two job changes, so there was a lot keeping me keyed up. I probably could have used an Rx, but my body was in such a state of shock and doesn't do well with meds anyway. Gawsh, I'm getting all wound up just remembering it... YUCK! Anyway, I don't know about the Hashimotos, but I wouldn't be surprised if all this eased up for you once you get 2 or 3 years past your last period. If you are hormone sensitive at all, you'll probably have a lot of odd things happen during your transition. You'll feel like you need a coffin... I did!

Hope this helps!

PS: There's a tendancy on internet boards to either tell someone "go see a doctor, to be on the safe side," vs. "I had that and it wasn't anything at all" - keep in mind, of course, every body is different, so you'll have to use your own best judgement based on your particular set of circumstances.

Laura

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-25-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
(female)

waratah HB User

Hi laura 45,

Gee, thanks for that post, It's nice to hear others menopause stories too.
And I wouldn't be at all surprised if 'the change' is contributing substanially to my current overall health woes.

But just knowing that IT DOES GET BETTER - well now, that's something to look forward to. Many thanks
Kind regards, waratah

Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
(female)

babsbaby HB User

Hi Laura,

It's just not fair is it ? Men don't have anything - uh. You're probably right about the transition thing. I was at school (age 14 or 15) when my period started and I didn't bat an eyelid - just went home and bought good old Dr White's hehehe. Also my mother only ever mentioned the hot flushes and saying "just wait til your time comes" - Oh thanks mum !! She did tell me once that she was having a really bad hot flush so she decided to stop and look in a shop window until it passed then when it did pass she realised what she was looking at "outsize mens underpants" - cor did I laugh.

Well you sound like a real trooper so good luck to you and all your female family members.

Barb

Closed Thread