It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
After reading all the bad stuff about taking estrogen, I gave up.

Doctor gave me r/x for combipatch and after reading everything about it from the pharmacist, I said no way! So I ordered this natural creme with estriol and progesterone. I'll let everyone know how it works. It got good reviews.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: After reading all the bad stuff about taking estrogen, I gave up.

ainfante,

Yes, reading those package inserts can bring up some scary images! Manufacturers are required by law to list all those scary possibilities, and you are smart to get out your reading glasses and read the tiny print.

Keep in mind that the estriol and progesterone in the creams that you ordered are simply different forms of the stuff that's in the patches. The stuff that you ordered may be closer to the forms produced naturally by our bodies when we were younger, but it's still HRT, just in another form.

There are lots of women who have used one form or another of HRT and done well. Women who have risk factors such as family history of heart problems or cancer are advised not to take any form of HRT. And many women find that none of the brands bring them relief or that there are too many side effects.

I recognize that you are concerned about the risks as listed in the package inserts, and you've certainly heard of the tests that show that there is an increased chance of problems amongst menopausal women who take HRT. My own interpretation of those tests (totally unscientific and just my opinion!) is that there was not enough screening to eliminate women with risk factors, so that there were lots of women who should not have been included in the tests at all.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think that if you can find a form of HRT that improves your life without a lot of side effects, AND you get regular checkups from your gyno, you might find that taking HRT will help.

I certainly hope that you can find something to help you through this phase of life, whether it's HRT or something else, because I know that the symptoms of our bodies adjusting to the drop in hormones can be crazy-making.

All the best to you as you make these decisions in your life. Remember, any time that you start any form of HRT, you can stop or switch to another form or dosage at any time.

{{{hugs}}} -- Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Andrea and Rheanna,

I agree with you 100 percent, Rheanna, on all points.

The women in the study were not properly screened for comorbid conditions and they were too old.

Andrea, you have to do what you feel is right for you. I have been scared too but thankfully I have a friend who has her master's in nursing and has done a lot of research on hormone therapy who has helped me sort things out. Also my Dr has been and still is very helpful and up front with me.

I wish you the best whatever road you decide to travel.

Hugs to you and Rheanna,
Chantal

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

You guys are so sweet. Glad to have found you two. I did start the natural estrogen/progesterone and so far so good! I will keep you all posted. Thanks again, and I will remember your posts incase I switch.

Andrea

Closed Thread