It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
(female)

Flowermember HB User
Period after 14 months

Hi All

Need any help.

I had my period yesterday and my last one was 14 months ago.
I have no symptoms of menopause.

Is this normal or is there anything wrong with me.

Would appreciate your comments and advice.

Thanks

Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Period after 14 months

If you have no other symptoms, I'd say this is normal. Doctors used to say menopause occurred after a year of no menstrual cycles but I believe they have since revised this to 18 months.

My periods stopped for over a year only to return again briefly...but I've had no problems, no symptoms, and a clean bill of health.

Bethsheba

Flower, I just noticed that you are new. Welcome to the boards!!

Last edited by bethsheba; 11-01-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

Flowermember HB User

Thanks Bethsheba
I'm new and it's nice to be here.

Flower

Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I hear this too, many have no periods for 14 months or more and then getting it back. If you feel good, I wouldnt' worry about it. Of course it you start to spot and have continuous bleeding for more than a week, I would consult your doctor about it. Are you taking any hormones? How old are you? Have you been told you are in meno or post?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
(female)

Flowermember HB User

Hi Ainfante
I'm 53.
2 weeks ago my gyne. said I'm done.
I don't even know whether I'm meno or post meno since I haven't got any symptoms and he did not mention it
But I noticed that 2 weeks before my period, I was ovulating. I haven't taken any heed of it.
Just wonder if I should now begin to use any birth control.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Old 11-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well that's the thing. If you're ovulating, then you should use birth control. I wouldn't say that you would ovulate every month, but you never know, r ight? It's not over until it's over! LOL I was reading an article about how 100 years ago, women went into menopause no later than 45 and their life span after that was not long. Today, we go into menopause a lot later and live a lot longer. I would use precaution just in case since your body has showed no sign after 14 months that it wants to be post meno. Keep me informed.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

Flowermember HB User

Forget to mention that I'm not taking any hormones since I have no symptoms.

So it seems that I will have to take birth control for another year to be on safe side.

BTW where am I now...post meno or meno??

Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi friends,

I'm SO confused too.

My Dr says I'm in menopause and yet I haven't missed any periods though I did have menopause symptoms; hot flashes, insomnia, blood pressure spikes, panic/anxiety etc.

So she put me on hormone therapy and it has helped the symptoms but my period is very regular within a week or two and most months right at 28 days.

Am I ovulating? I don't know. I'm being "careful" though I doubt I could get pg without medical intervention as our fertility greatly declines after 50 and I'm 53! However I DO NOT want a child at 53 or 54!

Flower, was your period "normal"? Mine are.

I just wish this would end. I'm tired of it. I swear if I live to be 90 I'll still be having my period!

By the way, welcome Flower. The ladies here are very kind and supportive.

Chantal

PS. Hi Andrea and Bethsheba!

Last edited by Chantal231; 11-03-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: edit syntax

Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I'm with ainfante here. It's not over until it's over...and yes, I met someone who became pregnant at the ripe young age of 55, . So, if it were me, I'd be using bc!

Hi Chantal,

Based on what your doctor is telling you, I'd be confused, too. Are you sure you understood what the doctor was telling you? Regular periods are not menopause! The good news is, though, they indicate healthy ovaries, at least that's what my obgyn told me. Just keep in mind that hot flashes, insomnia, blood pressure spikes, panic/anxiety etc. are symptoms that are common with many other conditions...and may not be at all related to the change of life!

Quote:
...I just wish this would end. I'm tired of it. I swear if I live to be 90 I'll still be having my period!...
I know how you feel...I had a couple of periods after more than a year of being period free....it's been another period free year for me so hopefully, this time, it will be permenant, .

Having had regular periods for almost 40 years, menopause is the very, very best thing that has happend to me physically and I'm going to embrace it!!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 11-05-2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typo, a biggee

Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
(female)

Flowermember HB User

Chantal
Iím as confused as you are.
LolÖ..can we be in meno and yet not missed any period with meno symptoms. Never heard of such things.

I do think you should be able to know whether you are ovulating or not? Are you not wet, though?

My last period is Ďnormalí Ė 4 days
Iím clean as from today the 5th day.

Now when will be my next periodÖ. I Ďll have to wait for another year and see. It may come as a thief. Thus Iíll have to use BC for another year. Me too, I donít want to get pregnant though I know itís not that easy.

Thanks for your warm welcome and your support. You ladies are all nice here. At least I know Iím not alone in that boat.

LolÖ.It's not over until it's over...
Me too, I donít want to get pregnant at the age of 53.

Bethsheba

You said you had a couple of periods after more than a year.
Did you have your period on consecutive months.
Were you under BC during that time.

Are you under BC nowÖwho knows what your period may come at any time.

FLower

Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flower,

I think I had my second "round" of periods after about 14 months, but I can't be sure...I knew it was "normal" so I really didn't make any note regarding the events (on the other hand, if I had known it was going to be my last period, I would have thrown a party!!). If I recall, I had two periods in a row...hope I haven't jinxed myself by telling you this.

As for birth control, I used the pill for a few years when I was in my 20's..and have used other forms since that time. My sex life has been erratic, so it hasn't warranted daily bc (the pill) ...but I've always use protection!

When reading the posts regarding menopause problems, I can't help but wonder if the problems are more due to pill withdrawal than they are to menopause...but that's another thread.

Bethsheba

PS I'm 56, by the way, but started my periods early in life...ohhhh, mind is going....did I say in an earlier post that I've had periods for over 50 years?? Yikes! It's over 40, not 50! Scratch what I said about not having any menopause symptoms, !

Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Bethsheba,

Yes, I heard my Dr right. I see her again on Thursday and we're going to have a chat about all of this. I'm going to ask her what she is basing her opinion on.

I thought you were a bit off the mark when you said you'd had periods for over 50 years...LOL....gosh I know you're not that old!!!

How old were you when you had your last period?

I just want this to end.

Flower,

I'm glad I'm not the only confused woman on this board!!

I do not have any discharge during my cycle which leads me to believe I'm not ovulating. In fact I'm rather dry compared to what I was when I was younger. All of this leads me to believe I'm not ovulating, but then like I said I'm not taking any chances!! No bambinos for me at 53 heading for 54!!

Hang in there. I'm right here with ya!

hugs to both of you,
Chantal

Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

well, you can have it end. If you are on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) you can take it continually. I'm on Activella, have been for about 6 years and haven't had a period the entire time. I take a pill every day - all the same - no placebos. I started my cycles at age 10. At 56 I said enough!!!!!!!!!!! So I went to my gyno and told her I just couldn't handle it any more. I was on BCP and had been having peri symptoms for several years but the BCP were forcing me to have a period. She switched me to HRT and I haven't had one since. It's so nice!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
(female)

Flowermember HB User

Nice to be able to read all your posts.
In fact I was never interested in any Menopause forum I had my period again.

Chantal
You said that you do not have any discharge: does this mean that you may not ovulate and still have period or you just canít see it even you are ovulating.

In future if this happens again, I will take heed when I become wet. The last time I was only thinking that it was due to the scratching done by my gyno for a pap smear test.

As regards to HRT (hormone replacement therapy) I donít want to take it since I donít have any meno symptoms.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI guys. Flower, you are back in meno, lol out of post, lol See what happens, maybe u'll get ur period every month again, or on and off or nothing again ever. Either way it goes, right now I'd be careful unless you want a little Bambino (a), lol

Chantel, you are definitely perimenopause but you could also be in full menopause. Hard to say because you use hormones. Either way, you are at the age of meno. Remember, some women don't even go thru menopause until their late 50's. It's always a step unless surgically induced meno. 1. perimenopause which can last a very long time. 2. menopause and with hormones you can be in this stage as long as you take them and 3. Postmenopause, like me! hehe no period, but started a natural hormone.

Hey Bethsheba. How's it going? How are you feeling?

Andrea

Closed Thread