It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Bio Identical Hormones

I'm not sure if this is where I post this or not. I've had my hormones tested and I get the results next week. I may have to go on bio identical hormones due to perimenopause. For those of you that have taken them, I'm wondering two things: what, if any, side effects have you experienced on them (specifically testosterone)? And, secondly, does health insurance cover these? Thank you for any replies.

Last edited by kittywitty; 11-02-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Question for the ladies re: Bio Identical Hormones

Hi there. Generally the insurance companies do not pay for this. There might be some coming to the forefront that this is a more natural way to combat meno symptoms. Maybe in the near future, who knows. I've taken progesterone for perimenopause made by a bio pharmaceutical company which I had a reaction too. made me too nervous. Then I used Natragest recommended by a chiropractor. It worked great. It was just progesterone though. Now I am taking Doctor's natural therapy which is natural estrogen (estriol) cream with natural progesterone. Just started as I am post menopausal 14 months. doing it for anxiety, irritableness and vaginal dryness. Also using it for osteopenia as my bone scan came up with this result. Im glad to hear your doctor is into bioidential hormones. I'm going to be 50 in a few weeks. How old are you?

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bio Identical Hormones

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think that they would cover them. I'll have to call them to make sure, though. I just thought I'd get a heads up from people on here first. I hope they're not too expensive. If so, I'll just have to keep taking matters into my own hands and going to the health/vitamin store. I just turned 38 this past June. My biggest problem is lack of sex drive. If I wasn't married, I could care less if I ever have sex again for the rest of my life. That's about how interested I am. I never think about sex. I'm just so afraid that taking the testosterone is going to make me hairy, give me a deep voice, make my hair fall out (worse than what it already is!), etc.

Last edited by kittywitty; 11-02-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

LOL on the testerone. I don't think it will make you hairy if you use minimal. It will help a lot on your sex drive. Are you in menopause?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm most likely in perimenopause. I get my test results back tomorrow. I have a friend whose aunt was on testosterone pills and they made her hairy and gave her a deep voice. She's off them now, but my friend says that she still has the facial hair. I already have an inherited mustache from my mother.

Last edited by kittywitty; 11-04-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante-

Just wanted to post an update for you on my situation. Regarding my blood work: Estrogen is slightly low, but the doc said it was nothing to be concerned about. Progestin is significantly low. And, finally, my testosterone is very low (as I suspected). My insurance won't cover the compounding testosterone cream that she wanted to prescribe me. It would end up costing me $50/month, which I don't have. So, instead she prescribed Prometrium (bio-identical progesterone), which my insurance covers. Her hope is that if the progestin raises, balancing with the estrogen, that the testosterone will raise as well. However, I've opted not to fill the prescription because of the horrible things I read about it. Apparently, there's a risk of blood clots, pulmonary embolism, or breast cancer with using it. These are supposedly rare risks, but I prefer not to take the chance. Also, the list of side effects both 'most common' and 'rare' was a mile long. Chest pains was listed under 'most common'. That sounds pretty serious to me. I'm someone who's very sensitive to side effects, even the 'rare' ones. So, I went to the health store and bought something called Progesta Care. It's a natural progesterone cream. I've only been using it for about a week so I can't really tell a difference yet. I'll keep you posted, though. I go back in three months to have the estrogen and progestin retested.

Last edited by kittywitty; 11-13-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi,

I took Prometrium which by the way is made from yams.

It is bioidentical to the progesterone our bodies make as opposed to the synthetics.

I didn't have any bad effects from it but it didn't work for me as I am not in menopause as my Dr first thought.

I don't know anything about the cream you're using but I wish you all the best.

This is not a good time of life and we need all the support we can get.

Chantal

Old 11-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks and good luck to you as well . You're lucky you didn't have side effects, because from everything I've read, they're pretty nasty. I'm so sensitive to medications (and even some natural things), always have been.

Last edited by kittywitty; 11-13-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #9
(female)

janajb2 HB User

I honestly don't like what I've heard about BHRT (Biodentical Hormone Replacement Therapy) Although I've been in full menopause for a year now, I've gotten by with the aid of Oil of Primrose and Black Cohosh. I'm reluctant to go on hormone replacement supplements, due to what I've heard regarding long term effects. But..this is simply my choice, and is not based on medical findings.
I do have a friend who uses BHRT with good results. She does stress that before anyone goes this route, they need to find a good compounding pharmacist who will not treat you without a full medical history from your doctor, so beware of anyone who offers you a quick solution without documented medical history. I wish you good luck with anything that helps!

Last edited by janajb2; 11-14-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Closed Thread