It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

Lynda1960 HB User
I have been prescibed Gabapentin for hot flashes, need some input on this drug :)

Hi

I am new to this forum and am seeking answers, I have read alot of posts and I am glad I found this venue

I have just been told recently I was in menopause I'm totally okay with this as I knew it was coming, the big indicator was the hot flashes, which is okay for the most part but my doctor has prescribed Gabapentin, ( for the most part I am leary about what goes into my body in terms of pills) and the research I have done on this drug is vague in terms of menopause. I am also on 350mcg of Synthroid a day (underactive thyroid) and I wonder if the two drugs together will conflict and yet I can't find any info on that either, so if anyone out there has any information to help me cope with the new way of life please let me know

Thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: I have been prescibed Gabapentin for hot flashes, need some input on this drug :)

Hi Lynda,

I was rxed Gabapentin (nuerontin)for hot flashes as well. It was recommended for me because I can't take hormone replacement d/t breast cancer hx.

It DID help my hot flashes but the side effects were rough on me and I had to stop taking it. It made me very dizzy, even at a very low dose and after taking for several months. Then when I stopped taking it, I had withdrawel symptoms for 48hrs. - Nausea, headaches (which I never have), mentally fogginess and just feeling very out of it. - coming off the drug was kind of a scary experience for me, and I would never take it again.

BUT, on the other hand, I go to another site, and many of the women taking it, tolerate it just fine and have no problems at all. - So I suspect my body just doesn't do well with this drug.

I DO KNOW, that nuerontin has a short half-life and it is very important to take the dose "on time" or you may have withdrawel symptoms or not feel well, till you take the next dose. You might want to ask this question, on the nueropathy or fibromalagia board, as I think it is used for pain and other similar issues, as well.

Good luck and hope it works for you.
Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
(female)

Lynda1960 HB User
Re: I have been prescibed Gabapentin for hot flashes, need some input on this drug :)

Thank you Leea for your input, I have the Rx and have taken the initial 3 100 mg at night and found I was totally out of it the next day. I didn't like how I felt and to be honest it kind of scared me. From some of the research I have found I have decided to not take it, and your input has helped as well. I would rather suffer through the hot flashes, than have withdrawl probelems later. Thanks so much again for your input on this.

Closed Thread