It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Barbs45 HB User
I never thought I'd ever feel healthy again.......!

Hi everyone,

I have'nt posted in a while.

I've been going through Menopause for almost nine years, an induced Menopause after a complete hysterectomy.

Recently I underwent numerous tests, glad to say they all came back normal.
Although, it did still leave me feeling unwell and confused.

My doctor reviewed my medication, as my general health has also suffered badly during Menopause.

It was discovered that certain medications I had been prescribed had affected me badly.

I suffer from High Blood Pressure and High Cholestrol that is being controlled by diet and medication.
Although other medication had been prescribed for depression Fluoxetine.

It turned out the Fluoxetine and medication for circulation problems made my condition worse.

My doctor advised me to stop taking the medication, this was less than a week ago.

The good news I feel wonderful, I haven't felt so well in a long time.
I don't know if I'm over the Menopause or the withdrawal of the medication has helped.
Either way I'm just glad I feel so much better.

All I want to add to my post, is I'd almost given up on life due to me feeling so unwell.
I'm so glad that finally there was an end to my suffering.

Good luck to you all who are going through this difficult period in your lives.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, just remain positive and seek all the help you can.

We are all worth it and should not suffer in silence, we owe it to ourselves to keep healthy.

Best wishes to you all,
Barbs.X

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: I never thought I'd ever feel healthy again.......!

hello barbs. i'm really glad for you that you've come through it all and are feeling so much better. makes you realise how awful it was sometimes, when you feel so completely different when you're through it doesn't it? i shall be 3 years without a period in a couple of months and have to say i feel great too, everything having settled down, even the hot flushes are barely there now.
can i ask, have you stopped taking the meds for high blood pressure? i too have high blood pressure and am wondering what would happen if i were to stop taking them - i guess the blood pressure would shoot up again.
all the very best to you,
sue

Old 11-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I took take prozac and now that I am usng a natural estrogen progesterone product, I'm wondering if I need the prozac any longer. When I up my dose of the natural product combined with still taking prozac, I feel sort of hyper, nervous etc. but when i cut my nat. hormone therapy down, I don't feel nervous,e tc. with taking the prozac. Just wondering if I should get off of it. Kind of scared coz I do not, i repeat do not want to feel how I felt 4 years ago with perimenopause.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
(female)

Barbs45 HB User
Thumbs up Re: I never thought I'd ever feel healthy again.......!

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies,

You should both consult your doctor regarding medication.

I myself am still taking medication for my high blood pressure, I'll be on that for the rest of my life.
My doctor advised me it's the most positive treatment for me to help control my blood pressure.

It was various other medications that were causing me the problems, as i mentioned in my last post.

I've also stopped taking HRT, which was Evorel patches.

I do hope that I'm over the worse now and it doesn't come back with a vengeance.

I can only remain positive and enjoy feeling well again, something I never ever thought would happen.

Good luck to both of you.

Best wishes,
Barbs.X

Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbs45 View Post
...My doctor advised me to stop taking the medication, this was less than a week ago.

The good news I feel wonderful, I haven't felt so well in a long time.
I don't know if I'm over the Menopause or the withdrawal of the medication has helped.
The good news is that the withdrawal of the medication has helped...I don't know which med you've stopped taking, but some stay in the body for 6 weeks or longer so it is possible that you may feel better and better as time goes on.

What meds are you currently on?

Bethsheba

Old 11-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
(female)

Barbs45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
The good news is that the withdrawal of the medication has helped...I don't know which med you've stopped taking, but some stay in the body for 6 weeks or longer so it is possible that you may feel better and better as time goes on.

What meds are you currently on?

Bethsheba
HI,

I'm currently on medication to control my blood pressure and my cholestrol.

I was always on those medications since first entering Menopause.

HRT and anti depressants have been withdrawn from my medication regime.
Those drugs above being withdrawn, appear to have improved my health this I no longer take them.

Sweating and tiredness being the main issues.

Thanks for your reply, hope this clarifys what I meant.

Best wishes,
Barbs.X

Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbs45 View Post
...I'm currently on medication to control my blood pressure and my cholestrol.
You may wish to thoroughly review the side effects of those meds, the high/low blood pressure boards and the cholesterol boards may be a good place to start. Many, many, many symptoms are actually side effects of these medications...I say this with first hand experience...and despite my doctors denials.

I really doubt that your problems were due to menopause...that's not to say they didn't appear at the same time...but if the sweating and tiredness continues, and if you've (don't rely soley on your doctor to do this) ruled out possible side effect of the blood pressure and cholesterol meds (which I suspect may be the real causes of your problems), you may want to investigate the possibility of Lyme Disease.

Too many women (and their doctors) blame their problems on menopause when the problems are often caused by other things.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 11-12-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
(female)

Catherine19 HB User

Hi Barbs45
So glad to hear you are feeling like a new person again! It uplifting to realise that all these rotten syptoms do eventally come to an end.
Catherine19

Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
(female)

LisaH1960 HB User

Reading Barbs’ original post reminded me of how important it is for all of us to take charge of our own healthcare, and this is especially true if you are seeing multiple doctors for one or several conditions.

Sure, MD’s have the education, training, and (hopefully) experience, but they are every bit as human as we are. They forget things, make silly mistakes, have good days and bad days just like the rest of us, and sadly, they are becoming increasingly overworked.

It wasn’t long ago that the general public didn’t have ready access to information on diseases and treatments, and we pretty much had to take the doctor at his or her word, right or wrong.

These days, there is a vast reservoir of information right at our fingertips, and considering whose health is at stake here (ours), we’d do well to take advantage of it. Research your symptoms, check the diagnosis, and educate yourself about any medications or treatments you’ve been prescribed so that you can be aware of any possible side-effects or interactions.

If you are told something that doesn’t seem to make sense, ask for an explanation. If there appears to be a contradiction, ask for clarification. If your doctor or practitioner becomes annoyed that you’d have the nerve to question them, walk out the door and don’t look back. There are plenty of decent doctors out there. Find one who will respect you.

It is your health that is at stake here, and if you don’t look after your own best interests, who will?

Take care!

Lisa

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa,

Excellent post and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-19-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Closed Thread