It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

kraazee HB User
I am confused....I am 38 the dr's say I am in post menopause???

hi, I just joined..and I am really confused and want to see if someone out there can help me.

Here's a brief summary of what's going on:

First let me start out my saying my sister went into Peri at 36 and Menopause at 40 so it's familia. So at 36 I had my levels checked and they said (which I now think is wrong) that I was in peri - So I knew menopause was coming early for me.

Now at 38, 3 months ago or so I started having all the "menopause" symptoms - so I went into my dr's office to have her run my FSH LH and thyroid levels.. My FSH was off the charts! she sent me to a reproductive endochronologist - ran some more tests - and it turns out I am in (or was in) ..this is where I am so confused...POF (premature Ovarian Failure) - all through my late 20's and 30's I have had the POF symptoms - so that part is starting to make sense - BUT now they tell me I am in POST Menopause...

Okay my mom and I just talked about this tonight - we thought back through the past 3, 4, even 6 years or so together - where my mood swings would be so wacky - my friends nicknamed me "goldfish" b/c my memory started to go..my skin had been so unbelievably dry, the texture of my hair completely changed..to dry and falling out, and being so tired all the time - OMG and the anger i was feeling sometimes...would scare me - and I'm a really happy fun person....

So you get the gist right? I know it's possible that I could have been in POF for years (they say it starts as early as 28) - but was I in menopause all these years - and didn't even know it? This is where I am so confused..How in the world can I be in POST menopause already?

Being in "Menopause" they say the definition is "you don't get a period for 12 months in a row" But knowing that I was or still am in POF how would I know? as of April of this year I have now been 7 months without a period! They even put me on progesterone to see if I had any lining to shed - nothing nada!

I just had a bone density test - already losing bone in my lower spine. Had an Adrenal test (which btw is no fun) - everything came back ok...had a scare with a lump in my breast - so far everything is negative but going for a biopsy consult this week - so They won't allow me to start on estrogen yet.. grrrr I am on 1600mg calcium + vitamin D - My body does not react well to estrogen from past behavior- looking for alternatives if anyone knows of any? Then they say I have to be on progesterone (I think) too - I don't get why?

Okay I've taken up enough of your time lol - my brief summary got a wee bit lengthy - but thought I should put everything (or just about lol) in this post in order to get much needed great replies....thanks for reading :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: I am confused....I am 38 the dr's say I am in post menopause???

well gosh, that's a lot to go through and at such a young age.
just so you know, 'menopause' just literally means 'stopped periods', so with you having premature ovarian failure, your periods ceased and so you were, if you like, 'in menopause'. some ladies are sent into menopause when they have a total hysterectomy, no matter what their age. you say you were 7 months without a period in april this year, so now you're over that magic 12 months without one and therefore considered to be 'post menopausal'. that's all it means.
i hope i've understood you right, and have explained myself right too. you seem to be being monitored very well for any problems with being pretty young to be post-menopausal, so i hope things go well for you.
sue

Closed Thread