It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

losingitat41 HB User
Perimenopausal Fatigue

Hi Everyone -

I have a few questions for all the perimenopausal women out there. I believe I have been in perimenopause for about three years now but only got tested about 7 months ago. My doctor suggested HRT but after reading about it, the high rate of cancer in my family, and the fact that I smoke I don't want to go that route. I also looked into bio-identicals but I live in a small area with no doctor or compounding pharmacy with a 150 miles so that's out of the question as well. I was wondering if anyone has used over the counter creams and if it helped. I don't have hot flashes in fact I'm freezing cold all the time [for this reason I try to avoid soy] I don't suffer from sleeplessness and I still get a period [although not regularly] The bestest issues I have with being perimenopausal is the debilitating fatigue, carb cravings leading to a 35 pound weight gain, lack of sex drive, and the freezing cold fingers and toes. The weight gain has impacted my self-esteem, the lack of sex drive has impacted my marriage, the coldness has impacted my heat bill, and the fatigue has impacted my whole life!

I have had tons of blood tests done and everything is normal other than my hormones so its not a thyroid problem or anything else. I just don't honestly know what to do anymore - I am miserable, my husband is miserable and I have no life - NONE! I am to tired to do anything! I'm sure some of you are thinking I'm depressed but I'm not - it has to be the preimenopause!

So can anyone tell me if the OTC creams help with fatigue? What type do you buy? How do you use it? How long does it take to start working? Any help would be great and thanks everyone for the help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Perimenopausal Fatigue

Welcome to the boards, losingitgat41!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingitat41 View Post
Hi Everyone -
... I don't have hot flashes in fact I'm freezing cold all the time [for this reason I try to avoid soy] I don't suffer from sleeplessness and I still get a period [although not regularly] The bestest issues I have with being perimenopausal is the debilitating fatigue, carb cravings leading to a 35 pound weight gain, lack of sex drive, and the freezing cold fingers and toes. The weight gain has impacted my self-esteem, the lack of sex drive has impacted my marriage, the coldness has impacted my heat bill, and the fatigue has impacted my whole life!...
These symptoms do not sound like peri...and the fact that nothing shows up on your tests suggests what you are experiencing may be something else.

Based on your symptoms I am going to ask if you and your doctors have considered Lyme Disease as a diagnosis?? You have five of the symptoms and the intensity of your symptoms indicates that something is going on...but I don't have to tell you that...

I will just say that a bacterial infection can cause symptoms similar to yours, and not show up on tests!! Although your doctor may have done a test for Lyme, the results of those tests are very unreliable. Lyme Literate Doctors often base diagnosis on symptoms and treat with antibiotics accordingly.

If you want to pursue this further, you may want to do some reading on the Lyme Boards.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

PS In some people with Lyme, reducing or eliminating carbs, controls the symptoms somewhat.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
(female)

losingitat41 HB User

Thanks Bethsheba -

I had my hormone levels tested and I am in menopause but thanks again for the suggestion - may think about talking to my doctor next time I see her.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Hi longistat. I had fatigue so horrible during perimenopause and menopause. Im taking a multiple vitamin for women from gnc, syntrinol ( a natural for high cholesterol) not sure if that's working yet. I had a horrible reaction to statin drugs, so lipitor and crestor are out for me! I also take an extra vitamin c, timed release that i got from gnc. take 500 to 1000 mg extra. take calcium, have magnesium which i haven't taken yet and cinnamon by nature made, helps with cholesterol and balance sugar metabolism. I now take a natural estrogen/progesterone creme that has helped a lot with fatigue. Fatigue is a normal reaction to the inbalances of estrogen and progesterone. hope this helps.

Andrea

Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

losingitat41 HB User

Thanks Andrea!

I have a question, if you don't mind - how did you know you needed an estrogen/progesterone cream instead of just a progesterone cream? I have been looking online for info and I'm so confused! I have signs of low estrogen on one test and the next test says I have to much - I'm just so confused!

Thanks for you help
losingitat41

Old 11-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi,

I find that I am either really, really fatigued or I have these bursts of energy.

As for what hormones are needed I think that it is often hard to tell as one test will show one thing and another come up with different levels esp. during peri.

When I'm fatigued I find I get depressed too. I guess that can be a normal part of peri. The depression is weird. I feel like I'm the only woman in the world going through this. Fortunately I can come here and read that I am not.

Our stress levels do not help with the fatigue and depression either.

Chantal

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I know I need both because I am post menopause. I am still entact so def need the prog to go withe estrogen. If you are still having periods, you just need the progesterone.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

losingitat41 HB User

Thanks Andrea for the quick rosponse! And thanks to everyone that has offered me help on this board - it's great not feeling like I'm the only one is the world going crazy :-)

I think I am going to buy a progesterone cream and see if that helps - wish me luck and thanks again!

Losing_it_at_41

Closed Thread