It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
Wondering if these ladies (or any others!) are dealing with these symptoms

I'm wondering if Molly123, Katidid, Nornie, Littlejmb, Ainfainte, Liverpool Sue, Twanger, Ann, Julie, Chilijava, or any others here (sorry if I missed any of the old-timers!) are dealing with the intense shaking and hot flashes upon waking each morning? Also, the burning feeling in the feet or lower legs? And, do any of you have trouble with digestion? If so, what are you taking (or doing) to help with these symptoms?? AND...how are you feeling overall?? I remember hearing that Hellasrules passed away a while back, and I still think of her and how much she conributed to this board...

Thanks everyone!
viktik

Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User
Re: Wondering if these ladies (or any others!) are dealing with these symptoms

Hey, I have hot flashes....but not at any specific time.

No burning in my legs , or digestive issues, that I can attribute to Peri.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Hey Viktik, Yes Hellasrules passed away almost 1 year ago (Dec. 26th), I miss her so much and she did add a lot to this board. I do have the internal shaking going on and not sure what to do to stop that. I went back on my hrt because my hot flashes and night sweats were just getting to bad to deal with but I am currently trying to wean back off them and of course notice the HF and NS returning, along with some moodiness. I do have digestion issues and take something to help with it.

I hope you are feeling better. I am sure some of the ladies that have been here in the past will be checking in soon too.
Julie

Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Viktik,

I posted here a lot with the others and still keep an eye now and then on the boards, but it has been awhile.

It will be 2 years come Feb since my last period so I am in meno now and have to say it is better generally. Sometimes I still get some of the symptoms that plagued me when I was in peri. ..bloating, the long pms feelings, anxiety and some digestion issues. But have to say the latter was worse for me in peri. Where are you along this road? In peri or in meno now?

I never had the intense shaking as bad as others, but did experience them and so empathize with you. I do have a bit of hot flashes but again not a biggie for me. I dealt more with cold flashes in peri more than hot flashes. The anxiety issues were the worst for me and that still resurfaces. I take xanax if I have to but have never taken it regularly.

You mentioned Hellas and as Julie said she passed away a year ago almost now and we miss her terribly. Her wisdom and humor are so missed.

Hope that the symptoms subside for you. I can say they are less but not gone completely , but now seem more bearable than before, guess as I know why it is happening and that hormones play such a part in everything.

Hang in there!!

Take care,

rmc

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-19-2008 at 04:18 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hello ladies. when you talk about 'shaking' what exactly is it? my head shakes, very slightly, and both my hands, my left in particular, which is more noticable when i'm holding a cup or something. i wouldn't say it bothers me and i would think very few people have noticed. and it's more pronounced in the morning. is this what you mean?
as for the rest, i'm just 56 and i'll be 3 years without a period in february and just about everything has settled down. no pms, no heart palps, the anxiety is diminishing greatly and the hot flashes barely there, although my whole body temperature seems to be higher than it used to be so i still have to be a little careful about what i wear. i've never had any digestive issues or feet or legs burning.
all in all, life is pretty good. how about you viktik?
sue

Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Viktik,
I can't say I've had most of those things; I did for a long spell have digestion issues and I took a good quality probiotic (from the health food store, refrigerated) and that helped me get back to feeling better, but it took a month or maybe a bit longer.
I still have periods every 3 months or so, but have more spotting in between. Faith (Hellas) used to tell me that it meant I was getting closer to meno! Not quite yet I guess lol. I also have fibroids, which sometimes give me fits period wise. Like Rox I have anxiety, which I take ativan for occasionally. There isn't as you know a cycle to most of this crap, this month I had really sore breasts, which I haven't had since I was pregnant 31 years ago...and that went away when I started a period. I used to wake up with horrible pounding headaches and a continual hot flash and once I got on HBP meds those went away, as did pains I was having in my fingers and my light night sweats. Like Sue I seem to be just 'warmer' than I used to be. For most of us on here it is a horrible time getting to the end, but we're still here, dealing with all the symptoms. I know from Rox and was glad to hear from Sue that after meno things start to get back to 'normal'. I don't know at this point if I'd know what that felt like! lol
I hope you get to feeling better, I know at times I've read women posting about all those symptoms you're having, I hope they come back and tell you what they did for relief.
And you are right, Faith did contribute alot to this board, helped many women and I'm sure shes in a better place and keeping her eye on us! I miss her.
Conni

Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hey Viktik,

An old timer here! Heard you've been asking about some of us! I am so sorry you are still dealing with all these horrible symptoms!! I haven't had my period for 3-4 yrs now. I actually started to feel fine after being put on Paxil (my meno symptoms were shortlived but intense - came and gone within a 5-mo period). I actually felt this "lift" taken away from me when I took the Paxil. I am still on Paxil and am afraid to go off even now mainly because I've always had anxiety tendencies. After not having my period, I did have occasional hot flashes but they seem to be gone now (knock on wood). I don't have any symptoms now except aches and pains these days - which are all manageable with OTC pain relievers, stretches and exercise.

I experienced most of my symptoms when I was 50 and if you recall, it all came on all at once for me. I had those intense 'internal' shakes at night, usually it would wake me up. It was probably the worst symptom I've ever experienced, it's this feeling of jitteriness/vibration running up and down throughout my body. Is that what you are feeling? Of course, my doc never heard of it being a meno symptom. I started taking magnesium (2X/day) which I think helped; also Evening Primrose. I took these two supplements and some others too (can't remember) for quite a long time, even after my period stopped. I'm no longer taking any except occasionally magnesium because I'm experiencing sciatica now and my right calf aches. During my bad meno days, I had brain fog too which I thought was a headache of some kind and OTC pain relievers didn't do boo for it. I realize more of what was going on with me afterwards than when I was actually experiencing it.

I also had the burning arms (not feet) which hurt like heck...would run cold water through my arms. I had the pins & needle feeling in just one foot. Again, at that time, I didn't know what they were and really what to do. I just dealt with it and thankfully it went away. I never and still don't have any indigestion problems. Know several of the other old timers did have indigestion problems so hopefully they will chime in here and give you some advice about that.

What is your meno-related regrime? What supplements/meds are you taking?

Just me,
molly123

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-19-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
(female)

Diane05 HB User

Hi, Viktik! Good to see your post! I don't think I will be a lot of help, as I didn't experience most of what you mentioned in your post. I do know that I have been officially in Meno for several years now, and still experience some of the symptoms of it! I still get extremely cold feet, but the rest of my body is hot, anxiety at times and some moodiness. Things are much better, but I'm not sure all the symptoms ever go completely away, at least for me that seems to be the case!

I hope you get some answers by others that have experienced your exact issues.

Glad you started this thread and good to see all the old gang replying, too. We need to all make an effort to post on here more often.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Hi Viktik!

How nice of you to remember and ask about us old timers! I've been post-meno for a few years now, and don't come here much. But I do check in from time to time to see if anyone has anything I could help with, or to see if there are any new ideas out there, especially for digestive issues. That has been my major problem. Hot flashes are still around but manageable, never had the internal shakes or burning feet. But digestive problems continue to plague me. I don't really take anything for it - tried various remedies like probiotics but it just never helped. The only thing I find that works best is to just eat the minimal amount - learning to stop eating while I am still hungry. I eat very small meals, and I've learned that there are certain foods I just have to avoid completely, even in small quantities. Seems like my list of "allowable" foods is getting shorter all the time, I'm not a fun dinner companion these days, but you do what you gotta do, right? Oh, and lots of exercise helps too.

I'm sorry you are still feeling poorly, but I'm sure it will slowly start to get better for you. It just takes awhile. Getting through meno requires patience and fortitude! If I recall you are a singer, right? That is so neat, and I urge you to keep at it - it's good for the digestion, too, and getting really involved in something you are good at and passionate about will help you get to the point where your symptoms start to alleviate.

Keep writing, that helps too. And us oldsters will try to stop by here more often!

Take care,
Nornie

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Sue, you asked what the "shaking." For me it is a very intense internal vibration, it feels like my bones are vibrating, or all my muscles are dancing around. I can get up and walk around and it sometimes helps but usually it will come back when I lay back down to relax. I pray you don't have to deal with that.

Julie

Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi everyone!

Thank you ALL so much for your responses so far...it helps, and really means a lot to me!! I'm so glad that most of you seem to be feeling a little better. That gives hope to those of us who are still suffering. I have been without a period now for almost two years, and I thought that by this point, I would feel better, but those hormones just can't get situated in my body! I was genetically predisposed to stomach problems, and I have read that whatever you had BEFORE peri and meno will be 100 times worse when you are in it. So, the upset stomach, nausea, and the digestive problems have been the dominant symptom I have been dealing with. On the few days now and then that I feel almost human, I am always so thankful, and I long for the day when I can enjoy life again! Here's what I take on a daily basis, and some of these seem to help with mood and anxiety, and some help with the hot flashes: Vitamin B100, Vitamin B12 under the tongue, Complete EFA, which is Flax seed, Borage seed, and Fish oil, Calcium, and a low dose Ativan for the anxiety and sleep problems. There really doesn't seem to be anything out there that helps with my worst symptom. The things the doctor has prescribed for it makes me too groggy and out of it, and since I have to work, I can't take them. Oh, woe is me! Anyway, thanks again for your kind concern. Let's keep checking in with each other!

viktik

Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Hi Viktik, I am sorry you have these issues after two years period free. I'm sure you have probably tried a digestive enzyme? I take them daily and find they really help me. Doesn't make things perfect, but helps. Have you ever found out if your stomach is high in acid or alkaline? Sometimes knowing this can help you figure out what foods to eat. Hope you get better each and every day.
Julie

Old 11-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Thanks so much Julie! I did try a digestive enzyme a few years ago, but I should try it again. I'm willing to try anything if there is a chance that it might help me to feel better! My diet is pretty bland for the most part, but on the days that I feel a little better, I can add a little more variety. Cheese and crackers, cottage cheese, yogurt, baked chicken, and fruit get a little boring at times! I pray that I will "turn the corner" soon and start to feel better, AND I hope for that for ALL of us going through this difficult transition.

Happy Saturday!
Vikki

Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User

hi viktik
<removed>
well i must say my symptoms are still as bad as when i used to post, it is nearly 2 1/2 years since i had my hysterectomy and my endo still cant seem to get my levels right.
unfortunately in the past year i have had some events that set me back a little, i had surgery to take my gallbladder out and also my father died recently.
i keep hoping it will go away someday, i am sure it will but i just wish it would hurry up.
hope you get some relief soon

andrea

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Hi Viktik,
I haven't checked in for a long time but for some reason, I did tonight.

I am 5 years post and things are going well. As you know, I had every symptom on the meno list and each one would last for several months and then dissappear, only to be replaced with another one.

This went on for about 3 years.

I am happy to say that the only one that remains ( knock on wood) is, every once in awhile, I will have a hot flash. Usually, it is when I am anxious or something.

I did not take anything for meno although I sometimes think I should have.

I am now walking 4-5 miles a day and have the post meno zest that I thought was just a bunch of balony.

I would say that it took about 4 years after my last period for things to get tolerable. That is not to say that my anxiety is still a little high. It is, but it does not take over my life as it did.

That is the last symptom to go. I guess that is because we go through sooooo much. Who wouldn't be anxoius?

Hang in there ladies. I was a complete mess and thought it was all over. But, things improve and you will get there.

Closed Thread