It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

SternFan HB User
This can't be right!!! help please!!!!!!!!!

Doctors say I'm in Perimenopause hum!
so it's normal to go a few months without a period
then bleed so much ( Clots alot ) that I find it hard to even talk
from weakness
this is unbelievable
Have any of you experienced this ? and been told this by a M.D.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: This can't be right!!! help please!!!!!!!!!

Sternfan, I am sorry to read that you are having such awful bleeding. Yes to answer your question, this happens and its part of the perimenopause. When you go a full year period free you are in menopause but until then you can have a few months here and there without one and then have such awful bleeding like that. I have had so many questions answered here and found so many women with knowledge. Keep checking in and asking questions. Take care and I hope it gets better soon.
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

anything is 'normal' in permenopause. i went through a fair few months of periods where i had to change pads every 15 minutes to ensure i didn't leak everywhere, i could literally feel the blood continually running out of me. i also had a few periods where i passed large clots too, i remember one month they were the size of my thumb. none of it is pleasant, and it can be quite frightening, but believe you me, it's all quite normal for this time in your life.
this was all when i was in my late 40's - early 50's, and i'm 56 now, 3 years without a period and still here to tell the tale.

sue

Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
(female)

SternFan HB User

Wow! thank you so much for answering my questions
I have clots the size of small apples when I'm in the shower they just pour out sorry I know it's gross
and the weakness feeling like I have the flu, light headed feeling like I'm gonna pass out nausea... this is normal
I mean I couldn't even get out of bed yesterday

Should I go to the Doctor and check my iron?

thank you again

Old 12-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

I would have your iron level checked, if you are bleeding that much you could be low. I would first add iron rich foods like spinach, and beets. Try and not worry as it is all part of the process and always know you can check in here and get support. Take care,
Julie

Old 12-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
(female)

nidgy HB User

I agree with the last post - I had the same thing happen in peri and once I started taking iron supplements, the heavy bleeding and clotting stopped. I didn't take them all month as they are constipating. I would take one about every 4 days or so and increase the week before my period was due.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i doubt very much it was the iron which was the cause of your heavy bleeding and clots stopping, this is not what iron does. iron is taken if you are anaemic due to losing a lot of blood, or some other cause. i certainly wouldn't suggest ladies take iron supplements to stop heavy bleeding or clots, but would agree with julie that if you are bleeding heavily it is worth having your blood checked. also bear in mind that a little blood can go a long way, and what seems like gallons is actually very little.

sue

Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i've just done a bit of checking up and the average blood loss during a period is 35-40mls, which is about 2 tablespoons. that's the average period. a period is considered to be a heavy period if you loose about 80mls, about 4 tablespoons. not really very much is it? sure causes us ladies a lot of grief though doesn't it?

sue

Old 12-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Sue you are right, a little blood goes a long way. I always had heavy periods and I would swear I lost way more the 4 Tablespoons of blood. Interesting. Felt more like 4 cups.
Julie

Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
(female)

nidgy HB User

I agree with the last post - maybe some women lose 4 T. Some months I would wake up in a pool of blood... definitely more than 4 T. Iron supplements were the only thing that stopped my blood loss and clotting.

Closed Thread