It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

nidgy HB User
Smile Back to my old self again - no more night sweats and hot flashes!

Just thought I would post in case anyone is looking for a natural way to stop hot flashes and night sweats. I tried everything from combo menopause formulas to evening primrose oil to a prescription of clonidine from my doctor without success. A friend suggested I try black cohosh all on its own (not in a combo). I started taking 40 mg - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. After 4 days I noticed that all night sweats and hot flashes stopped. I am now taking 1 in the morning and 1 at night and if I continue to not have flashes I will lower it again. The black cohosh that I am using is the extract not the whole leaf/flower etc. I cannot take the whole leaf/flower as I get headaches. I feel back to my old self again... even the vaginal dryness has resolved somewhat. Now I just need to lose the 10 lbs I gained immediately once my periods stopped. Hope this helps someone because it sure helped me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nidgy For This Useful Post:
julaam (08-11-2012), shadowlulu (12-07-2011)
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: Back to my old self again - no more night sweats and hot flashes!

I am using the remifemin (black cohosh) one in the am/one in the pm. It has helped me alot, with hot flashes, as well.

The most interesting thing I noticed was I had developed that "thick in the middle," menopause waist, from lack of hormones. Within 2 days of starting the cohosh, my mid-section was much leaner and has stayed that way, ever since.

Amazing
Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

nidgy HB User

I feel really good since the night sweats and hot flashes have stopped. Something like that can disrupt your whole life. I was forever pulling clothes on and off and not getting much sleep at all. I was even getting depressed with the whole situation as I was thinking about individuals that told me they had flashes for years. Depression isn't something that I normally had a problem with. Hopefully I will lose the weight as well. Thanks for the post.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

kymi7 HB User

That's great. Thanks for the information. What about swelling. I can't take the bloating especially in my face...........is there something you have found for that?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

nidgy HB User

Face swelling? I had swelling in my thighs, hands and a doughy belly! I would try potassium or green tea. Potassium will counteract any high sodium levels in your body. We are suppose to get 3000 mg a day, a banana is around 500 mg. so you can see most people are deficient. Green tea is a diuretic and will help with water retention. The only drawback is that you might pee a lot. I am borderline diabetic so I also use chromium GTF and I have to watch my thyroid - which is why I take kelp tablets. All of these might help target a lot of menopause concerns. Like the past post Black Cohosh has helped my stomach flatten somewhat.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

I am interested in trying this black cohosh. Can any of you tell me if the label says that it shouldn't be taken by anyone with kidney problems? So many of the labels on these vitamins say "SHOLDN'T BE TAKEN IF YOU HAVE KIDNEY PROBLEMS" I am also prone to kidney stones. Had a total hysterectomy 14 months ago at age 58 and since I have not had a nights sleep. Can't take much more. Willing to try supplements, can't take hormones. thanks!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
(female)

nidgy HB User

The only warning on the label says: Not recommended during pregnancy. If you are taking any other medications consult your health professional. Each capsale contains: Black Cohosh extract 2.5% 40 mg Directions Take 1 capsule per day preferably before meals or as directed by a health professional. Keep out of reach of children.

Closed Thread