It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

Local Girl HB User
Newbie venting -- these periods!

New to this board. I'm 54 and for about eight years have been having symptoms of peri. First I had two horror periods -- they were so heavy I didn't dare go out of the house. Thankfully that didn't recur. Next thing that happened was over the course of about a year, my periods got really regular. I have always had weirdly irregular periods (normal for me). When I was in my "reproductive prime" I would sometimes go three months without a period! And now here I am, perimenopausal, and it's 28 days like clockwork .... go figure!

But then it started to get to be 26 days like clockwork, then 24, then a couple of months went by without a period and I'm thinking (hoping) "is this it, am I done with my periods?" and then I got my period. And within the last year or two they have gotten really looooong. I'll have a "normal" period, four or five days, and then I'll have enough spotting that I have to use a tampon for another week or more. Sigh!

Got the period on Dec. 3 (yes, I've been marking the calendar), and this time it was a "normal" period, about five days and it's done. So guess what? Today I get my period again! That's a 12 day cycle, ladies! LOL!

I'm just getting really bored with the menstrual cha cha cha! I'm ready for it to be over.

Can anybody relate???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

annao HB User
Re: Newbie venting -- these **** periods!

I too have had irregular periods for about 6 yrs now ( Im 50) The past yr has gotten much worse - will skip a month - 6wks then get it or get 2 periods in one month !!! Had a pelvic ultrasound last yr just to make sure everything was OK - It is very frustrating to never know when to expect it - I either get horrible cramping - fatigue , etc or absolutely nothing at all!!! Have also been experiencing anxiety/depression , etc. Was in the ER in Sept. for what was probably a panic attack - testing was OK only found a slightly elevated white count - my GP said that was nothing to worry about - Oh and... have developed breast cysts found in reg mammogram confirmed after additional testing and told probably hormone related- I feel like Im losing my mind!!! Anyway would like to make this transition as smoothly as possible - have you found anything that works for you?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: Newbie venting -- these periods!

I too have irregular periods. I have yet to skip one though. I will get my period and then a week later get another one that will last 7 days. I went to the doctor about getting 2 periods in a month and had the ultrasound and a biopsy. It is such a nuisance having 2 periods in a month, but thankfully this only happens about 3 times a year.

I also have the cysts in the breast. That has been going on since I turned 40 and I am now 51. I went off caffeine, chocolate, tea, soft drinks for 6 months to see if the cysts would go away, but they were still all there. So I am back to eating chocolate. The cysts are worse than the periods because when you get a new one, you have to go in and make sure it isn't a cancerous lump.

I haven't found anything yet to help with the irregular periods or the cysts.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

Local Girl,
You are right about where I am. I'll be 52 in the Spring and I started keeping track of my weird periods in October. It actually began getting weird last May, but I thought it was because I moved out of state and had never lived more than 10 miles from where I grew up. I could always predict my periods and I could tell you not only the day but the time of day my period would come. I accurately predicted the morning most likely to get pregnant with my second child. I think I was right on the money on that one. Anyway, since October I get these 4 to 5 days of spotting that turn into a period for another 5 or 6 days. The best advice I can give you is this: Keep a record. Take a sheet of paper and write down your spotting days and regular days. Make it so that you can see several months on one sheet of paper so you can compare. I just realized this morning that my spotting for both October and December started on the 25th of the month, went into a period and ended both times on the 4th of the next month. I don't know why November was different, but I only had 4 days of the period and then nothing until December. Anyway, keep track and see if a pattern starts up.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

I too am 54, and have been without periods for 2 years now, which makes me officially in menopause. However, I can tell you that in my case, I felt A MILLION TIMES BETTER when I was having regular periods! I have felt worse since my periods stopped than I ever have in my life. Every woman's body is different, so we all have different issues to deal with during this time of life, but I really miss being the real "me." I keep hoping and praying that I will "turn the corner" and feel normal again so I can enjoy my job, my friends, and my family. I never knew this time of life would be this hard. Hormones really do affect every inch of our bodies!!

I hope all of you ladies can feel better real soon! And please know that you are not alone through this journey...many of us understand what each one is going through.

Happy Sunday all,
viktik

Old 02-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

Local Girl HB User

Glad to know I'm not alone in this! I'm convinced this is "normal" for my time of life, and it really doesn't worry me. It's just really annoying, that's all!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
(female)

JPino9179 HB User

Annoying -yes, but I was worried a few weeks ago. I had gone a full year without a period and figured it was all over. I've been trying to finish this stuff for the last 3 years. Well, all of a sudden, I am having the period of all periods! I called my drs office and they said it was probably nothing to worry about, but scheduled an endometrial biopsy just to make sure. (And in case you have not had one of these - NOT the most enjoyable of procedures!!!) Anyway, the test results came back normal and the dr said it was probably just an abnormal balance of hormones. Well, guess what - I started bleeding again today! It just so happens that I have a follow-up aptmt today at the gyn, so we'll see what he says this time. I will be 50 next week and would just like this to be over with!

Closed Thread