It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

NailLady HB User
Smile New and looking for some advice :)

Hello, I'm very new here and this is my first post. I just turned 48 a week ago and have just gotten the worst period of my life. I'm not on BC and I very rarely have cramps, my cycles are pretty much like clockwork every 28 days and I've never had any issues till now.

I skipped my period entirely in November, and December's made up for it big time. It started out like usual but I was just sitting here watching TV a few nights ago and blew my nose and felt a discharge between my legs. I ran to the bathroom and it was like Niagara Falls. This happened again last night. In between, my period settled down to practically normal, or very light.

This is the first time this has happened and I suspect it won't be the last. I was a little freaked out by it to be honest but I figured it comes with the territory.

What I want to know is...is there some kind of HT or BC or any other kind of procedure availaible to me if this keeps happening? Have any of you experienced this as well? I plan to monitor it for a few months to see if it keeps happeing before I do anything but I can't live my life in fear that this could happen at any given time, in a public place, at work, etc. I have a fairly active lifestyle and this would seriously put a damper on it.

Any advice or feedback would be most appreciated I am so new to all of this and I don't have anyone I can ask right now. I do plan on seeing my doctor in the New Year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: New and looking for some advice :)

Hi NailLady, Sorry you didn't get a response. It sure sounds like the starting of Peri and many ladies have had the really bad bleeding some months and hardly any another month or skipping a period completely. Some also starting taking BC to help but I would ask your Dr. and see what they think about that. For me I had a hysterectomy so didn't go through things exactly like this. I know that isn't much help, sorry. Take care.
Julie

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

NailLady HB User

Julie thanks for replying I know everyone's experience is different. I know that what I'm going through is probably some kind of 'normal' too. I am wondering what kinds of options there are for controlling this type of bleeding. It has happened 3 nights now, all around the same time, around 8 pm. Today it is heavy as well and I feel bloated and crampy but not horrible. I'm not planning on going out for New Year's Eve tonight but if I were, I would probably cancel my plans, it's that bad when it happens.

I think my biggest thing is I am a scuba diver and I have a huge trip planned for May. There is no way I could (or would want to) function with this problem on this trip. My doctor is on holidays until next week so I'll have to wait till then to make an appointment. In the meantime if anybody reading this has any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear about them!

Thanks again for reading.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

I so understand not wanting to have this bleeding while scuba diving or doing anything for that matter. I know of nothing to help control the bleeding, my friend has had the same thing happen and it did get better a few months later.
Julie

Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

jammyslisa HB User

Naillady,
The same thing happened to me when I was about your age. I might skip one or two periods and then I would have a monster one! This went on for about a year until I saw my gyno. She did a D and C, I had some fibroids. After that she put me on a hormone, I think it's progesterone (I have the generic version, so I'm not sure). She said although I was still making hormones, my ovarys were not as sensitive to them as they used to be and that I needed to stay on the meds till I went into menopause. I am still on the hormones a couple of years later, I take them for 12 days, 14 days into my cycle. When I saw my gyno yesterday for my annual, she said when I miss two periods now (I'm 51) to give her a call and I could stop taking the hormones.

Anyways, the hormones have stopped the inconsistency of my periods. Check with your doctor and see what he/she tells you.

Lisa

Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
(female)

NailLady HB User

Thank you Lisa for your reply. I can't imagine how you handled that for a whole year! I know I can't. I'm glad you were able to find something that works and I will definitely keep it in mind. Happy New Year!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
(female)

usedtobenormal HB User

hi, this is so weird as i was sitting on my couch tonight talking to my daughter and i suddenly felt wet. When i stood up my white dress i was wearing was soaked at the back with bright red blood. When i went to the toilet it just kept gushing out and there was also longish thin blood clots. I was not experiencing any pain. I had started bleeding the day before with quite normal bleeding 23 days after my last period ended. I was freaked out by this as i had not experienced this type of gushing bleeding before or clots. My periods have been quite irregular in timing in the last 6 months. i decided to look on the net to see if i could find any answers and came across this site with your post and after i read it i felt so much better knowing it is more than likely another part of this awful pre menopause stuff. i turned 50 in May and since mid June i feel like my whole body and mind is changing and it is really annoying me. i dont think i have a day where i have felt normal since then and i am over it but it is great to find sites like this where you see that you are not the only one feeling this way.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #8
(female)

NailLady HB User

Wow usedtobenormal.....that's pretty much my experience too. I'm glad you found my post. I'm so grateful for the power of the internet !

I'm sure you were just as freaked out as I was. I still haven't been in to see my doctor. He doesn't return from vacation until next Tuesday so I can't even call to make an appointment till then. It is now Day 18 and I am still bleeding, although it has tapered off quite a bit. But I had probably 2 or 3 more episodes of heavy bleeding and clotting since my last post.

I do know that I was absolutely fatigued and exhausted during the heaviest bleeding and now I feel back to normal. I am taking a daily multivitamin with iron.

Are you going to see your doctor? Perhaps we should compare our notes on that. I do hope you post back here to let me know how you're doing/coping and I hope you are not too distressed about it.

Closed Thread