It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

ween HB User
Just turned 45 in November

Hello:

I turned 45 last month and in the last six months I have become gassy and have more frequent bowel movements. I have never had any problem with any of these things in the past. I have panic attacks, racing heart and sometimes in the morning when I am in the shower I have to hold onto a handle because the joints in my knees feel wobbly. I have problems with insomnia and usually have a glass of wine before bed to help me go to sleep. I'm still on birth control pills and have never had much of a period whatsoever (although I never had no fertility issues). I am very thin (5'6" and 110 pounds). I am an athlete, but have slowed down on my workout because of all these symptoms. I've also experience a lot of obsession about my mortality (worrying about my death, etc.). Is this menopause? I've been googling colon cancer and the like and somehow ended up here.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Re: Just turned 45 in November

I don't know if it's the age or what. But I had my worst perimenopause symptoms in my 45th year. Last spring I went through some weird heart thing. My heart would just race for no reason. Even in the middle of the night - just start racing and wouldn't calm down. I felt constantly nervous and out of breath.

After a few doctor visits, finally a holter monitor and echo were ordered to see if there was something going on. All of my blood work came back fine. No thyroid issues (which you should have checked out to be sure it's not that). All tests came back normal. I was told it was stress I finally settled on it being hormone issues associated with getting closer to menopause. And if you search on here, you will find a lot about heart palpitations, panic attacks, general anxiety etc.

Maybe you could talk to your doctor about changing your BC pill. You may have been on it for a long time, but your hormone levels may have changed and a different kind might help calm some of your symptoms.

I hope things get better for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Welcome ween, Hate to say it but it sure could be peri menopause. My digestion has been worse and I have had some panic attacks and anxiety. I take fish, flax and borage softgels daily (2-3 a day) and it has helped with the anxiety and panic. It also helps you sleep better. Also worry seems to come with it, research is good but can drive you nuts in thinking you have all these difference diseases when you really don't. Take care.
Julie

Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

Yes, these are symptoms of peri menopause. Hormones are either racing or declining and this happens on and off during those years. It gets even more stressful. I entered a new level of perimenopause. I'm almost 52. My friend who is 58 and is now in menopause told me that I'm getting much closer to menopause. I was always very regular and could predict not only the day I would get my period, but the time of day. Same thing with ovulation. I knew not only the day but that morning when I became pregnant with my second child. Then in my mid 40s my periods were more unpredictable. Any time in a 10 day period I could get it. Now I've reached where I can have 5 days of spotting and then a period. Or I can spot early in the month and have a period 2 weeks later. I carry protection with me everywhere I go. I can have periods where I have to wear the biggest pads and sometimes I can go with only the smallest of pads and have it only 3 1/2 days.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

ween HB User

Thank you irisrose, ichot and johands. I've been freaking out and just needed to talk to someone who has experienced the same thing. I started having a complete anxiety attack while I was driving on I-66 today. I will take your suggestions to heart and see what I can find out.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Ween and other ladies! I can relate. I am 44 and feel like I have been in perimenopause for a couple of years now. Everything is changing. It's so frustrating.

For me the period part so far has been easy. Mine have gone from 5 days to 3 and they are very light. But they have become more unpredictable. Sometimes early, sometimes late.

I have more anxiety and panic attacks. Lately they have been escalating. This is the part I hate the most. I do have night sweats right before my period starts. Seems like several days before it starts I feel all wacko. I just have weird feelings, weird body symptoms. Anxiousness is a big one. I was just reading in a Menopause book that we begin loosing Progesterone and there are several things that happen to the body when that happens and two are anxiety and nervousness. I think I have a drop in Progesterone right before the period because this gets out of control for me. I have made trips to the ER for it only to find there was nothing wrong with me. This just makes me so upset not knowing how to cope with this and feel better.

This past year I have developed some acid reflux issues that I never had before. I went in for an endoscopy a couple of days ago. The doctor found nothing wrong in there. Now I am reading that digestive disorders start happening. Ugh! So I have really been watching my diet for coming up on a month now. I needed to loose weight anyway. I have lost 12 pounds and I feel better too.

I am just searching for a way to go throught perimenopause and menopause without losing my mind. I just want to cope and feel the best I can. The anxiety is the worst. I would lost to hear any suggestions anyone has. THanks!

Closed Thread