It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

wagnerll HB User
Red face Am I menopausal?

My doctor said it sounded like I was perimenopausal about 3 or 4 yrs ago. And now I suspect, after my body doing all kinds of weird stuff, that I may be changing from perimenopausal to menopausal. Yes, everyone says, "oh, you're a little young for that," but it is possible. I thought I was having heart attack symptoms about a month ago and went to the ER. My chest pain was more to the left and not really a crushing feeling, more like a really sore feeling. I also was dizzy and had a hot flash all at the same time. And then immediately after the dizzy thing my left arm was tingy and then numb, but only in the area above my elbow. They did all the typical tests for heart attack and blood clots. Everything negative! I have no family history of heart disease, yada yada yada.... I am not "at risk". So they send me home... no diagnosis!! Then ever since that incident, every once in a while my face will get really hot and feel flushed, but it won't really look red to anyone! Then the other day after eating dinner my stomach just burned the rest of the night. My periods have started to be irregular for a couple of months now. And they've changed from super-bad to tolerable. They were really severe for about 5 yrs! I even had a couple of months last year that I stayed in bed for a couple of days because of the pain! And I've had bad migraines for about 5 yrs also, which have actually gotten better in the last six months. Oh, and I am so emotional all the time that I can't even watch the news without crying! This whole thing is freakin' me out! It's like my body is on a roller-coaster ride. I don't know how much longer I can take it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Am I menopausal?

you are considered to be 'in menopause' when you haven't had a period for 12 months, so from what you're saying it sounds like you're still perimenopausal (the years leading up to menopause when things start to change but you still get a period now and again).
you don't actually say how old you are, just that everyone says you're a little young. i guess if you're seeing your doctor, he/she will decide if you're heading into 'early menopause' and advise if you need to take some sort of hormones to protect your heart, bones, etc., as that can be a problem if you have a very early menopause, which some ladies do.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

just been doing some research, and find that the average age for menopause is 52, but any time between 45 and 55 is considered 'normal.
before 45 it is referred to as early menopause, and before 40 it is referred to as premature menopause. these are treated differently.
i would say it's worth speaking to your doctor if you are concerned, and he/she can explain things and set your mind at rest.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Liverpool Sue said it so well here. These symptoms you are having sound like Peri and can seem like they go on forever but they will get better. I have been dealing with being dizzy or off balance and having hot flashes and night sweats for years now, some days are better then others. Many women have gone to the er when their heart starts pounding, it is also one of those symptoms. I would like to know how old you are? I have taken a hrt on and off and it has helped even though I really really don't want to be taking it. Take care,
Julie

Closed Thread