It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Scary heart flutters

Ive had heart palipatations my whole life, but not like this. It's not that they are strong, it's that they are constant, for a solid week I've been having these flutters, crazy beats and a feeling of emptiness in my chest. It's hard to explain, sort of like I'm soooo sensitive that anything can trigger big palipatations. I cut down on coffee but no change at all. Is this a peri menopause symptom? I know that palipatations come and go, but I've had this steady for the last week! It's beginning to scare me. I'm 51 and still have my regular periods, do you think this can be the hormones? I have a doctor phobia, so I really don't want to go, but it seems if they get worse I might have to. Can anyone relate?
Mary

Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Scary heart flutters

hello mary. yes, palpitations are one of the symptoms of meonpause and perimenopause, and probably one of the scariest, especially if you don't know that they are a symptom (which i didn't when i first started getting them).
they are due, it is felt, to estrogen dominance and progesterone deficiency at this time in our lives when our hormones are fluctuating all the time. progesterone has a calming effect on us so when we're lacking in it then these palpitations/flutters can happen.
they will go altogether eventually, but sometimes will stop for a while only to come back again. if you're worried though, go and see your doctor and have him/her put your mind at rest. mine started when i was still having periods too, and frightened me to death at first. once i knew what they were i just tried to ignore them, and now, 3 years without a period, they have just about gone. i maybe get an odd one every few weeks but don't even think about them now.

sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
(female)

Thank you for the reassurance Sue, I wanted to hear from someone who could relate. I've always had them as I'm an anxious person to begin with, but now they seem constant. The only relief I'm feeling is when I sleep.
I will see the Doc if I can get myself to make an appointment, that's another issue.

Mary

Old 01-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

I get heart palpatations also. I am 49 and on the pill. I have them almost everyday. I notice mine mostly at night when i am just relaxing sitting on the couch watching tv. Sometimes they are worse than others..I can take my pulse and actually tell my heart skipped a beat. I don't feel out of breathe or anything like that but it is somewhat bothersome. I am thinking about asking to wear a heart monitor for a day or two to see what that shows...i have my yearly exam coming up real soon so i will bring it up then.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I use a progestrone cream called Pro-g-yam from the health food store. I rub 1/4 tsp into my skin each day. It has 2% Progesterone and really helps eliminate alot of the symptoms. Like hotflashes, funny feelings, maybe some of my anxiety. I plan on getting some soy nuts and other soy products that are suppose to be really helpful. I used to get alot of heart palpatations but the cream really does help.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

I've wanted to get that cream for ages, I'm going to go get some.
I don't want to go on any medication. I do take an ativan about once or twice a month and find that it really helps me sleep and calms me right down. I know it can be adictive so I'm careful not to take them often.
Mary

Old 06-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
(female)

Kenzelle HB User

I have been experiencing these flutters, skipped beats and adrenaline rush feelings for the past year or so. I went to a cardiologist and all seems normal, of course my heart is just fine while he is listening! I have tried evening primrose and black cohosh which help the hot flashes only. I also tried cordyceps and that has helped the flutters to diminish but not disappear. I had an endometrial ablation for constant spotting and whacky periods and it has been the best thing! I am thinking of trying the yam cream, I'll post the results when I can.
K

Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I, too, suffer from heart palpitations. I am being seen by a cardiologist right now. What's one more in a steady stream of doctors?

I wore a holter monitor for 48 hours and have been diagnosed with "inappropriate sinus tachycardia" (IST). I will have a stress echocardiogram next week. There were a couple other things like tricuspid regurgitation and a soft systolic murmur but nothing to really worry about at this time, I believe. This seems to be another one of those diseases that the medical community is having a hard time with....like fibromyalgia. After reading what I can find, I am frankly surprised that my cardiologist is so forward thinking. Has anyone else got this?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I have episodes of atrial fibrillation which sounds pretty much the same. It is not life-threatening on its own but about one in six strokes are a result of cardiac arrhythmias. For this reason alone, it is worth having it looked into. I have had 2 cardioversions, where (under sedation) I am defibrillated with the paddles to jolt my heart back into rhythm. They tend to arise at about menopause in women, and you never get really free of it. I have had to take warfarin to reduce the risk of clots forming and causing a stroke. Sera.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User

I just recently went through that, and still am..My doc had me on a 48 hr monitor and found that I have some extra heart beats that is making me feel like this. I never had problems w/ my heart or high BP and now I am all out of whack. When I would get them it did seem to be more so when I would relax just to sit down and watch TV, and it felt just like if your on a roller coaster and that feeling of that initial fall off the top of the ride...Needless to say i don't like roller coaster so this drives me nuts. My DR assured me that the extra beats are nothing to worry about, but he still says I am not going through menapause...HMMMMMM??????....I am 44 well might as well say 45(in a week) still have my periods but go through all the symptoms.....

He done an ultra sound of my heart and says it looks good, other than I smoke too much...LOL....Definetly a bad habit......

Closed Thread