It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

1amanda HB User
Need Advice...

I have been struggling with severe meno symptoms for 15 years..at age 43 horrible anxiety and panic attacks...I am now 58..still have anxiety , bad hot flashes...

in the 15 years I have tried all the herbal remedies, have been on a variety of AD..celexa, zoloft....have done HRT for 6 months and 2 years on bioidentical...doctor has advised to be off all hormone treatments due to high risks....

I have been med free for 3 years....have huge hot flashes, anxiety, no energy.....poor quality of life...

I am slim, have no med issues,other than those meno related...

what would you try next? keeping in mind that when you come off the meds then all the symptoms return as before....

thank you....

Old 01-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Need Advice...

Amanda,
I think most of your issues are anxiety/depression related rather than menopause. I started meno about the same time you did. I was on "natural" hormones for about 2 years and then weaned off. The fact that you are still getting hot flashes, anxiety, etc. seems to point to emotional issues. Ask your doctor to check your hormones and see if you've entered "post" menopause and then deal with your anxiety/depression with meds and therapy. I wish you well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Sorry you are feeling bad Amanda1! I can relate. I am now 44 and going through all these things. I have panic and anxiety problems too. It's awful. What people fail to realize is that these are a part of perimenopause. We are not making them up. It is the change and fluxuation of hormones. I was prone to this already but the change is making it WORSE! I am seeking everything natural I can do to help myself.

Hang in there! You aren't alone! Hugs!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

1amanda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
Please paraphrase in your own words what you read somewhere else. For copyright reasons, do not copy material directly from another website.
I had put it in quotation marks and stated the source...but ok...here is the paraphrase...

reseach done by a health board states that meno symptoms can range anywhere from mid forties to late fifties and beyond...that all women are different and that difference makes it all normal...

that says that if you have symptoms into your late fifties it does not mean that they are NOT meno symptoms and that you have other emmotional/psychological issues that need meds and therapy...it could still mean that the fluctuations in hormones could still be causing anxiety, hot flashes and other symptoms...

when all this began in my mid 40s, I had seen therapists, who said there are no clinical issues to be resolved, but a chemical imbalance that can be treated by HRT or masked by antidepressants....6 months on HRT was wonderful...I felt totally symptom free....the doc however felt it was a very dangerous course to be on for long term...

I have taken antidepressants for up to 3 years at a time and they lessened the symptoms once I got used to the symptoms of the AD itself...

so in summary...it is too simplistic to say that because I am in my late 50s that it can no loger be meno related and that I must have some emotional/psychological issues that are causing my anxiety and hot flashes

Old 01-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

LisaH1960 HB User

Hi 1Amanda. You’re right, my oldest sister is 63, and she is still suffering horribly with hot flashes and night sweats, plus the emotional rollercoaster. Her gyn said it’s not uncommon at all for some women to live with flashes the rest of their lives.

Of course hormones play a HUGE role in our emotional well being (remember PMS?), if going through menopause disrupts your hormone balance, you have three choices: Wait, and hope things mellow out, try to find some way to correct it, or simply get used to the ‘new you’.

Last summer horrible for me, and I reluctantly started HRT, which helped a lot with the hot flashes, but my knees and hips started to ache, whether standing or sitting, and my breasts got so sore that it hurt to take a shower. I also gained 10 lbs over the next four months. I was already considering quitting, when I read another news story saying that HRT doubles your chances of getting breast cancer.

I quit cold turkey about December 15th, and by Christmas, I was miserable, it seemed like the hot flashes were even worse than before, and I started to wonder which was worse, hot flashes or hormones. I started looking into natural remedies, and a poster in another forum suggested I try Wisdom Menopause Formula, so I ordered a bottle from Amazon.

I’ve been taking it for two weeks, and so far, it has worked better than I expected. The night sweats stopped almost immediately, and the hot flashes are so few and so weak that I sometimes have to ask myself if it’s ‘really’ a hot flash.

It could also be that I’m getting over the initial ‘shock’ of coming off the hormones, if there is such a thing. I’m almost tempted to quit for a few days to see what happens. At least I’m getting over the pain in my legs and breasts. The 10 lbs is another matter.

Lisa

Closed Thread