It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
my shaking at night solution

Awhile back we all had posted about night shaking and that feeling of jumping out of the skin feeling. I also was experiencing severe cramping even though my calcium, magnesium and potassium levels were normal. It was so bad one night my dr told me to go to the ER because I was having some chest cramping and palpatations. I reluctantly went and had all kinds of testing. The ER dr said I was hyperventilating which would temporarily drop the potassium levels. He gave me meds to add to my collection of anti-anxiety mediciations that I didn't take. Well, one night shaking and sweating I sat down at the computer and started searching. I came upon sites about the side effects of Splenda. I have been using the flavored syrups in my coffee and oatmeal which are sweetened with Splenda. I thought it was worth a try. It has now been about 6 weeks. I am extremely confident in saying now I was reacting to the splenda. No more symptoms. My hot flashes have cut down to half of what they were. I feel relaxed for the first time in years. I have switched over to the stevia to sweeten my coffee. My hubby has no problem with the splenda, but check out artifical sweetner side effects if you are experiencing problems.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

LisaH1960 HB User
Re: my shaking at night solution

Wow Mel, that's very interesting. I recall reading some pretty scary stuff about Aspartame (NutraSweet) a while back. Quit buying the diet Coke after that.

So glad to hear that you were able to sleuth out a solution for your problem. It's good that people take the initiative to look after their own health, rather than relying solely on the doctors. Not that they're necessarily bad, but we have more time, and a greater incentive to be tenacious.

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Mel52, your husband might think he is having to problems with Splenda but I think down the road he might find he really is. I have done some reading on Spelnda and it doesn't look like a good thing to be using. I also was using the flavored syrups and have gone off them. I agree that switching to Stevia is a good choice. During menopause we need all the help we can get. Thanx
Julie

Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

What about Sweet&Low? I use it in my iced tea, and wonder about it's effects? I am beginning the night seats and hot flashes myself, and never considered what my sweetener might do?

Very good work, figuring that out! Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am so glad you posted about your reaction to Splenda. I take a real big stance on this. I believe all artificial sweetners are poisonous. If you research them you will find out how terriably bad they are for you. Aspartame even has Chlorine in it. I just can't believe they have been able to get away with serving this to the public. I become VERY ill when having any of that in my drinks. I become shaky and develope a migraine headache within and hour. I even had it put in my coffee at the salon by accident and became very ill.
I wish people would be more proactive about this. I am positive that is why you were shaky, ill and felt terriable. You can know that is your answer!
I hope you are better now and stay away from that, it's in diet soda's and in alot of those flavored waters. Read read read everyone!

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
Nature woman (11-11-2010)
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

WOW! Ladies, this is so eye opening!! I have been using Splenda in my tea every morning, as well as in my cereal for a long time now. My shaking has been just awful lately, and now that I know about Splenda's unpleasant side effects, I will stop using it as of right now! I am shaking terribly this morning, and I just had my hot tea with 4 packets of Splenda! MEL...I am so grateful for your research and for sharing your discovery about Splenda with us. Thank you, thank you!

Viktik

Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I believe the connection between the Splenda and the shaking is coincidental...and that your symptoms will come back again with time.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

bethshaba, I do have a little shaking that did start up again. I have not had any cramping or other symptoms since I stopped using the splenda. As much as I LOVED sweetening my coffee with the splenda sweetened syrups, I won't use it again regardless. I can put cinnamon and vanilla in the coffee instead and use stevia as the sweetner. I have read enough about it. I wasn't really a coke person anyway, especially since I have osteroporosis, but if I absolutely want a so-called treated I bought a six pack of Zevia which is a drink made with stevia. It is possible the fat free pudding I share nightly with my husband sweetened with aspertine might be the cause of my slight trembling. I don't know. I do know so far, a major amount of my problems disappeared when Splenda was eliminated. I don't pretend to be a know all just searching for some calmness. If you have suggestions I am open to them. Please...... If you know a way for me to start having periods again, I am game. This menopause is the PITS! running a close second to getting old.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was just reading your post about lyme disease on another thread. I will have to check that out thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Not everyone is the world has Lyme disease. lol The artificial sweetner problem has been proven. Just do your research. You will see the poisons that are put in there. They aren't meant for the human body. So most likely you shakiness and ill feeling is from this poisonous sweetner.

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-18-2009 at 05:44 AM.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I used to use splenda in my coffee daily for around 2 years and experienced headaches every single day attributing the cause to be stress. Gave it up and NO MORE HEADACHES. I tested myself the other day at eat n park after not having splenda for a little over a year now...I put a packet in my iced tea and BAM a headache developed within seconds. DUH how didn't I piece it together before. Splenda is toxic and not all humans will develop the same symptoms. It's best to stay away from ALL sweetners(and additives, artificial colorings, trans fats, HFCS).

Old 02-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

The FDA addresses some common myths about artificial sweeteners, including spelenda, in the following link:

[url]http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdsugar.html[/url]

Apparently, splenda is made from sugar, isn't digestible, and contains maltodextrin...this sweetner was approved by the FDA after over 20 years of study.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-18-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
.... I do know so far, a major amount of my problems disappeared when Splenda was eliminated....
Spenda is made from sugar so there may be a connection...but I don't know for sure.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I now use a half tea spoon of real suger(per cup) in my coffee now and experience NO headaches.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't really trust the FDA 100%. They let me down on other issues in protecting my health. Check out other sites, collect information and then make your own conclusions. If I thought it didn't contribute even partially to my problems, I would be sucking up a good cup of joe with all my goodies in it.

Closed Thread