It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

Chantal231 HB User
In need of support, encouragement

Hi ladies,

As I posted earlier I am having digestive issues that my Drs think are related to perimenopause. I'm 53 and still having regular periods.

I have problems with reflux, nausea, soft stools and constipation. I've been checked for gallbladder problems and everything came out OK.

Now my Dr wants me to have an upper endoscopy AND colonoscopy. They are scheduled this week and I'm TERRIFIED!

I will be given Propofol for the procedures but I have a long and somewhat twisted colon and my biggest fear is the Dr will perforate me and that I will feel everything.

Can anyone help me? I'm a wreck. I have a headache and I can't sleep or relax thinking about everything.

I know a lot of you have had these procedures.

Thanks.

Chantal

Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
(female)

Momofoneathome HB User
Re: In need of support, encouragement

I just had a colonoscopy done 3 weeks ago. It wasnt bad at all. I was like and terrified of what might happen. But it all went well. Believe me, you wont feel a thing. I was out of it. Dead Sleep. I woke up and it was over with. They put you all the way under for the colonoscopy. Not sure about the other. I'm 50 and now dealing with liver problems. The colonoscopy was a breeze. Actaully after the cleaning out, my acid reflux has not been as bad and my tummy felt better then it ever had. I think I need that cleaning out. ha ha. Good luck and dont worry. I know thats hard to say but it will all be over with soon and you will wonder why you worried so much. Stay busy like i did. I did lots of spring cleaning in the winter. ha ha. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi Chantal,

I have dealt with ALL of the symptoms you mentioned, to a very high degree for a long time now. I had a colonoscopy almost a year ago now, and I too have a twisted colon. I was petrified of the whole procedure, and the prep stuff I had to drink was putrid. Once I got through all the prep, and I got to the little hospital room, and told the nurse how nervous I was about "going under" for the procedure. She and others there were so kind and reassuring. I knew I was having the procedure done by the most respected gastroenterologist here, so that helped my anxiety a little. When they wheeled me into the room, the nurse said to turn over on my side, and that was the last thing I remembered! The next thing I knew I was back in my little room, and the nurse said, "It's all over and everything is fine." I did not feel a thing, and you won't either. Please don't worry about it, because they will make sure that you don't feel anything. As for the upper endoscopy, I had one of those years ago, and have an overactive nerve in my stomach. So, my stomach problems have been with me all my life. Menopause just made them 100 times worse! Let us know how do you, and try to stay calm. When it is over, you will be so relieved!!

viktik

Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Thanks ladies for your support and words of encouragement. They mean a lot.

My procedures are tomorrow so today I have to drink the putrid stuff.

I'll let you know as soon as I can how things go.

Thanks again.

Chantal

Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal231 View Post
Thanks ladies for your support and words of encouragement. They mean a lot.

My procedures are tomorrow so today I have to drink the putrid stuff.

I'll let you know as soon as I can how things go.

Thanks again.

Chantal
Chantal231,
What time is your test? I will be praying for you. You will be fine and won't know about anything that's going on. I had my colonoscopy last week (they gave me Versaid and I really like it ). The worst part is drinking that yummy stuff. Just chug each glassful as fast as you can and have plenty of toilet paper. Oh, one thing I always do and it really helps--by the time you get close to the end of it all--my rear-end would be raw--so at the very beginning when your BM starts to be watery--after I wipe, I use mentholatum on my rear-end and I put quite alot there--it might burn a little but that doesn't last long and it keeps it from scaulding which really hurts.
precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi precious,

I have to be at the hospital at 8:30am.

I'm on eastern time.

This is going to be a long day. I'm already hungry!

Thanks for your prayers and concern.

Chantal

Old 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Chantal, How did it go? Praying it all went well today and you are feeling great. Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you today.
Julie

Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
(female)

precious49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal231 View Post
Hi precious,

I have to be at the hospital at 8:30am.

I'm on eastern time.

This is going to be a long day. I'm already hungry!

Thanks for your prayers and concern.

Chantal
Chantal,
I saw a post of yours on another thread. I've been praying for you since about 5:30 central time. The thing of it is--you won't remember alot of this day or at least I never do--good drugs--Just know that I will be thinking and praying about you all day. As soon as you wake up--let us know how you're doing. precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi everyone,

Thank you SO MUCH for your words of support and encouragement!

I had both tests today and all went well!

I checked in to the hospital around 8:30 am and they were ready for me. I was anxious and scared and as a result my BP was a bit high as was my heartrate. My anestheseologist Dr (who is wonderful) immediately came to my bedside assuring me all would be well and gave me a shot of Versed in my IV which immediately took the "edge off" and I began to relax.

Soon I was wheeled off to the operating room and briefly spoke with my surgeon (another great guy) who reassured me too that all would go well. Once in the operating room I was given Propofol and I remember nothing until waking up in recovery!

Precious, you are so right about the "good drugs".

My tests were fine. No signs of anything bad! Thank God! My reflux has not done any damage to my body and my colonoscopy was normal except for one tiny polyp that was removed. My Dr said he thinks the polyp which is being sent for testing is benign.

Thank you again for you support, encouragement and prayers! The worst was truly the prep procedure.

My symptoms are most likely hormone related as I am in peri and my hormones are going nuts right now.

I wish menopause would come but I guess for me it will be late.

Hugs to all,
Chantal

Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
(female)

precious49 HB User

Chantal,
Praise God--I'm so thankful that you are doing good and that all turned out so perfect. And yes, I really like Versaid !!! I think that when you have to have these tests again in many years--I pray--that it will not concern you as much.
I hope your bottom is not in too much pain--that prep always scaulds mine. I always feel so good after that I don't want to eat. Now you know that inside is all clear and that will give you peace. I'm just Praising God this morning for helping you through this.
He is an Awesome God. precious49 God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Chantal! I am so happy for you! That all is well and you got good news. I do think we are both going through this because of peri and meno. ha! When I was having my endo. a couple of weeks ago my blood pressure and heart rate were way up there. I told them how nervous I was. It is perfectly normal to be wound up before having these procedures. I am just glad those drugs knocked me out. I am thrilled that you are ok!! Hurrah!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #12
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Thanks, Tammy, I knew you would understand about the anxiety.

It was interesting that after I was "knocked out" my BP and heartrate dropped significantly to well within normal limits. The Drs and nurses commented on how my anxiety was definitely the cause of the high BP and tachycardia.

I just wish I could get my periods under control then life would be much better.

Hugs,
Chantal

Last edited by Chantal231; 01-23-2009 at 04:46 AM. Reason: correction

Closed Thread