It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

AylasMom HB User
Anxiety and depression in menopause

Hi everyone, I am new too. I don't hear a lot of people talking aobut the anxiety /depression part of menopause. Intellectually, I know my reactions and feelings are over the top but emotionally they feel very valid. I fine myself worrying about things I never thought to worry about before. And while anxiety doesn't disturb my sleep, I'm up anyway so why not wonder about - well, everything!
I have recently heard this vulnerable feeling is associated with a drop in testosterone, and as soon as I heard that I thought - "Yeah, that sounds right" . Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-22-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Anxiety and depression in menopause

Yes, they could both be related to low testosterone, as well as low progesterone. I'm extremely low in both and have depression, anxiety, irritability, mood swings, heart palpitations, and a low to nonexistent sex drive. Have you had your hormones checked recently? If not, that's the place to start.

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-22-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Welcome AylasMom,

Yes depression and anxiety can be menopause related, and wow how the mind can work and think on things that never mattered before. You are not alone. I was having anxiety and panic attacks coming on and I started taking fish, flax, and borage softgels and it really helped. Sometimes just knowing you are not alone can help the anxiety. Take care,
Julie

Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Ladies, I have been having alot of anxiety and panic. Tonight I am dizzy. I don't know if it's anxiety or allergies or if I am low on something. I am so frustrated trying to keep myself balanced. This is crazy!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
(female)

AylasMom HB User

They only did the FSH and LH, not each individual hormone and put me on Prempro - which I'm not liking very much. I felt better on Lo-estrin. I guess I need to go back to my doctor and see if she will order more thourough tests and then consider bio-identicals?! I never was a worrier and I never had PMS so this feelings seem so alien to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Yes, definitely go back and get a full panel done: estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid, DHEA, FSH, and LH. If she won't do it, find another doctor who will.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Hi TEdwards83, I have had issues with being dizzy for a few years now. I do have allergies and figure my dizziness issues are from allergies, but some days I feel like maybe it is all hormonal. I have had some tests done but without insurance I can only go so far with that. I hope you are feeling better.
Julie

Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Tammy,

I get dizzy, hot, light headed and sometimes sick to my stomach. I also get tired very easily.

I think it has to do with hormones.

There are times all I want to do is sleep.

Chantal

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
(female)

annao HB User

Hi tedwards83 - I just got a book called the wisdom of menopause by dr. christine northrup - I saw it on the Oprah show last wk. If is FULL of information regarding peri symptoms/issues even has a chapter on foods good to eat. I have started a low dose AD due to anxiety/panic symptoms - just didn't know what else to do???? Only 2 wks but it has brought some relief.I have never had my hormone levels tested tho - no doctor ever suggested that so I do want to get them checked.Wishing you well...

Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Ladies! Thanks for you posts. I appreciate hearing what everyone has to say. I do have that book "The Wisdom of Menopause". It is great! I have been studying it from cover to cover. I highly recommend it.

I think I have figured out two things I am going to do! One is I have an appointment this tuesday with my gynocologist to talk with him. If he agree's he is going to take my blood and check all those hormone levels. Then we will go from there. I want to try that bio indentical thing or whatever or some creams with the progesterone or whatever I need. I don't want to take pills!! Also I have been reading up on soy and how good that is. SO I bought some soy nuts.

Secondly I think I am deficiant on Calcium and vitamin C again!! UGH! I had this problem last year and was having all these freaky symptoms. I live in the midwest and am not getting any sun. I haven't taken my calcium and D in months. Now I am dizzy, tired, have ringing in my ears, muscle twitches, tired all the time, feel like crap. I had this last year at the same time and was extremely low and both that I had to take a prescription of 50,000iu for several weeks. Here we go again. I just can't remember to take some many pills and vitamins. I choke on those darn big ole Calcium plus D pills. And with acid reflux everything makes me tummy sensative. I just can't win. In heaven someday we just won't have to deal with all this will we??

So this is my battle plan for now. I hope you are all feeling well!

Last edited by TEdds83; 01-24-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
(female)

Mary Annie HB User

Hi TEdwards and everyone else,
Just wanted to mention that you can get the citrucal w/vit. D in small pill form. I just pick them up at any discount store. There is also a chewable cherry flavored tablet which you can get at the health store at your local mall. I'm 59 and have not taken any meds. or HRT's although I do take Vit. B12 and NAC600 which is great for memory in addition to the calcium. Again, you can get both of those at the mall. I just hate to take any medicine and so far so good. My problem now is that I get extrememly irritable in the late afternoon or early evening. I quit smoking over a year ago and I don't know if that's part of it or if my hormones are just going haywire. Are there any natural products that would help with this?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
(female)

GBug HB User

I experienced the depression symptoms early --- in my first year of perimenopause. That's what made me realize that something was going on because I'd never had that level of depression in my life. I had nothing to be depressed about yet I was sad alot of the time and had feelings of doom. Thankfully, these symptoms eventually went away.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
(female)

Debtone HB User

Yes I agree, I feel that the first year is the worst, I felt very depressed and suffered terrible anxiety.

I now get more physical symptoms such as Migraines and aches and pains.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
(female)

mgobluefan HB User

I had all of the typical perimenopause symptoms, along with anxiety - and panic attacks! HRT was the solution for me! It has been a year since I started HRT and I am feelin' great!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
(female)

Debtone HB User

I tried HRT but they caused me to have terrible migraines.

I found Omega 3 Pure Fish Oil has definately made me feel better.

Closed Thread