It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Prometrium experience

I am wondering about other's experience with prometrium-
I was scripted 100mg prometrium 10 days a month. I am on the vivelle dot .1 and .05, it took using 2 patches together to get my estradiol up to in the 70's. My first experience with prometrium was when I was on the .1 patch only and I didn't bleed---my estradiol level was then around 45 or so. The next time, with my estradiol now in the 70's, when I took the prometrium, I bled in a way that I would call a period for about 5 days. The bleeding started toward the end of the 10 days of prometrium-I thought it was going to be like the first time with nothing happening. Then it seemed to start and I wondered if it would ever stop and it seemed pretty heavy. My dr. did not prepare me for this.
As to how it affected my my mood, I think it sort of sapped my energy during the day. The script said take at night, which I did. Maybe I slept a little better-nothing major. Maybe I felt a little sleepy after taking it-but nothing much and maybe it was just the suggestion from the dr. that this would happen??
My problem with the prometrium ea. mo. as the gyn would like me to do is that the bleeding last time was so heavy and I have low ferritin. I am hypothyroid and understand this is common with hypo. My ferritin was prev. at 35 and I got it to 58 with supplementing and I am continuing with the project. A monthly bleed would really set me back. I am trying to get to ferritin of 100. Now , I do not want endometrial cancer either! My general doc said ok go ahead with ea. 3 mo. and lets do a u/s at one yr. on hrt.
sophie's mom--let me know if you read this and have any ? or other info from your doc. Anyone else with their experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
(female)

Chantal231 HB User
Re: Prometrium experience

Hi Osteo,

You can take it continuously along with using the patch and your bleeds should stop completely.

As long as you take it regularly and continuously with your estrogen patch there is almost no risk of endometrial cancer. The progesterone will keep your endometrium thin to nothing.

You might want to talk to your gyn about it and do your own research on continuous combined hormone therapy. There are lots of books and resources available.

Prometrium did not agree with my gut. I had MAJOR GERD and nausea.

It's a good progestin. It's made from yams and it is identical to that which our bodies make.

Good luck.

Chantal

Last edited by Chantal231; 01-23-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: add a missed word

Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Chantal-since prometrium did not agree with you, what est/progesterone combination are you now on continuously? To my knowledge prometrium is the only fda approved bioidentical progesterone.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi again Osteo,

I'm not on anything right now as it was determined I am not in menopause but rather perimenopause.

I still get my regular period and it's not showing any signs of stopping.

I'd like to go back on the BCP as I worry about pregnancy AND would love to regulate my periods but the BCP has also bothered my stomach.

Chantal

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Thanks for the information! I think my thyroid problem must have put me into early menopause because my period just abruptly stopped in Oct. 2007. No tapering. Nothing. Just BAM! Gone.

I knew I was waaay young for it (I was 48 when this happened). All the women in my family don't go through menopause to actual cessation until they're 55+. At first I didn't care because I called it my monthly flood (a.k.a. the worst 5 days of my life monthly). Never thought anything of it, ignored the horrible hot flashes which caused bone-chilled cold afterwards. I was willing to put up with that to get rid of my monthly 5 day minimum hemorrhage that I'd had for 16 years after childbirth.

I had an ugly bout with thyroiditis that peaked in September. Who knows how long it had been going on but when my neck swelled, it landed me in the doctor's office. Then after seeing that shocking antibody level (447 TPO) I immediately called an endo.

I knew after horrible BCP experiences the standard HRT wasn't going to work for me. Right now I'm using the estradiol gel. I was on the mid-range dosage of .5 for two months. Funny but it only less than doubled my levels (started at 29.8 and only got to 45). The endo put me on the highest dosage of 1.0 for a month when I complained I still felt crappy (thyroid??). I only lasted a month at that dosage before I started to worry about cancer, etc. So I went back to the mid-dosage.

When asked to be put back on the mid-dosage he added the Prometrium to take for 10 days along with the estradiol gel. Glad to know that people do feel tired when they take Prometrium so I'll be sure to take that at bed. I saw the warning on the label about dizziness, drowsiness, with alcohol intensifying the effect. Does this also happen during the day so should I plan those 10 days a little closer to home (minimal driving etc.)? Does the effect last past the 10 days?

This should be interesting because I usually have a nice glass of red zinfandel at bed... Will I wake up the next morning???????

Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User
Wink Re: Prometrium experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal231 View Post
Hi Osteo,

You can take it continuously along with using the patch and your bleeds should stop completely.

As long as you take it regularly and continuously with your estrogen patch there is almost no risk of endometrial cancer. The progesterone will keep your endometrium thin to nothing.

You might want to talk to your gyn about it and do your own research on continuous combined hormone therapy. There are lots of books and resources available.

Prometrium did not agree with my gut. I had MAJOR GERD and nausea.

It's a good progestin. It's made from yams and it is identical to that which our bodies make.

Good luck.

Chantal
Does this mean that as long as I use the estradiol along with the prometrium I won't have a period??? What I'm confused on is the period issue. But then if I don't get the period then my cancer risk increases?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi sophiesmom,

If you use both the estrogen and progestin every day your bleeds should stop.

It's only when you use the progestin for just 10 days out of the month that you get a bleed.

As for cancer risk, as long as you use the progestin every day it should keep your uterine lining thin to nothing and greatly reduce the risk of endometrial cancer.

Hope this helps.

Chantal

Old 01-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Sophies-You are going to have to see what the prometrium does to you. I suppose everyone is a bit different. And my experience is sooo limited because it has only been 2 times I have taken it as I said. First time no bleed ,because estadiol not high enough. Second time the flood! I hope you will write your prometrium exp. I'll check back now and then for it.
Yes as Chantal said continuous combined may stop your bleeding altogether after awhile, I have read this too. But, if it makes you feel lousy taking prometrium then you prob. wouldn't want that all the time. You will need to see what it does for you.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:43 AM   #9
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

I will be starting it on 2/1 for 10 days. I may delay it until 2/2 because of the Super Bowl... I certainly wouldn't want to be at a party that night, take it and start experiencing the drowsiness. As I go along, I'll keep everyone updated.

My estradiol was only 45 when it was tested back in December after being on the .5 dose for 2 months. I did take the maximum of 1.0 in December for the month but dropped it back to .5 this month. So, if I read correctly you didn't experience much bleeding at the 45 level so I'm hopeful I won't!

I was starting to get the hot flashes again a few hours before I was due to take the estradiol this month but I think for now I'll just deal with it. Wait and see until after I take the Prometrium in February.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
(female)

mgobluefan HB User

I am on Vivelle dot, .025mg patch, 2 patches twice a week. I also take Prometrium 100mg for 10 days every 3 months. So far so good. Started out on a monthly symthetic progestrone and that had lousy symptoms, so I asked the doctor to switch to a bioidentical and it seems OK. I have been on Vivelle almost a year, monthly progestrone Mar-Jul, and switched to the quarterly progesterone in September. Period have been every 28-70 days.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Sophie-I had no bleed after taking prometrium when my estradiol was around and somewhat above 45. I wonder if you will even have a bleed at around that level. I will check back for your story.
What made you drop your vivelle from .1 to .05? Were you bothered by some symptoms?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Mgo-that is a pretty low dose on the vivelle .25. Do you know your estradiol level on that patch. If not, what was your estradiol when you started vivelle? Sounds like you have a bleed with using that dose, so I am thinking you must not have been too low on estradiol when you started??

Old 02-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Sophie-I had no bleed after taking prometrium when my estradiol was around and somewhat above 45. I wonder if you will even have a bleed at around that level. I will check back for your story.
What made you drop your vivelle from .1 to .05? Were you bothered by some symptoms?
I <gulp> let my cancer fears get the better of me. I'm probably going to have to go back up to the .1 because after about 10 days back on the lower .05 dose I started getting hot flashes about 10 hours after I used the gel.

My family has neither a history of breast cancer nor ovarian, endometrial.

The one thing I did notice at the .1 dose was my hair went dry, frizzy, tangled worse than it had been over the past 2 years. I noticed my hair changing for the worse about 3 years ago. There wasn't a conditioner on the market that would help that. Some of the shorter hairs (I have shoulder length, layered hair) at the top of my head looked like ziggy, zaggy lightening bolts, lol! I wish I could send you a picture of it so you could laugh at it like I was (gotta laugh, either that or I'd scream). My skin got so dry and itchy I couldn't use enough extremely dry body lotion. Sleep? I couldn't get enough. Through the month of December, the month I used the .1 dose, I dragged and slept-walked through the last two weeks. Since I started the .05 dose, I'm back to the 4 AM body wake-up call. Sometimes I'm able to force myself back to sleep though.

At the .05 dose for 2 months my T3 was only 1.9. Maybe the estradiol lowered it even further causing all those bizzare things?

Oh well. In any event, I'll be starting the Prometrium (mine's the yellow 200 mg) tonight. I'll let ya know how it's going daily.

Oh and if I take it at night (say 9 or 10 PM), would the worst of the drowsiness s/e be over with by say, tomorrow mid-morning? I have soo much to do tomorrow, lol! I slept most of the day away today as well as Friday so I'm really far behind.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Hi all who are reading this!

I took the medication on Sunday night around 10 PM. It definitely made me very drowsy. I slept through till my usual 4 AM but was able to go back to sleep quickly.

I'm not sure if it can be blamed on the medication or not, but I had a heck of a time getting up Monday morning. I've been having problems getting up in the morning for the past few months so I can't blame the medication entirely.

Took me a long time to get moving as well yesterday morning but i had a lot of errands close to home to run. I felt more tired than usual to start but got through the day pretty well. I did have a second or two during the day where I felt almost as though my brain "moved" in my head.

Took it last night, same time and experienced the drowsiness again but slept till 4 AM and was able to get back to sleep.

I'm still having the hot flashes but decided to hold off on going back on the increased dosage of estradiol until I get through these 10 days. Don't want to rock the boat in the middle of this.

I was real tired and I'm dragging through the day today. Feeling foggy, etc. but I've felt like this prior so I can't blame the Prometrium.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Hi all!
Well I also have just started taking Prometrium 200mg. It has been 2 nights for me as well... So too early yet to say if it is going to help or not. I also have thyroid disease and have major symptoms along with major stomach issues. So I can't tell what is caused from what anymore. Lol.. I just know yesterday I felt pretty good. Today not as good. Allot of cramping today though???? I am due to start my cycle around the 12th of the month. The dr I saw put me on this as she said she thinks I am not ovulating or something and she wanted to clean me out.. Those were her words. LOL

Anyways, I will take it and see if I notice any changes at all. I did have a little more nightsweats last night BUT I have been having those every month around my cycle time. Or like the week before my cycle I start getting them.

Closed Thread