It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

Chantal231 HB User
Am I the only one?

Hi everyone,

I'm 53. I will be 54 this summer AND I'm still getting regular periods!

Am I the only one my age? My Dr says that some women go through as late as 56 or 58. I don't think I can cope with it that long.

I started at 13 and feel like this is long enough. Most of my friends are finished and I feel like the oddball.

Can anyone else relate? I'm not showing any signs of stopping either as I do not skip months. I do have symptoms of peri such as digestive problems, anxiety, dizziness, sometimes a "spacey feeling", fatigue and depression.

Chantal

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Am I the only one?

Hi Chantal! It's your buddy Tammy dropping in. I am right here with ya. Although I am 44 I still have ALL of your same symptoms. I am going to the gynocologist tuesday and getting my blood drawn to test my hormone levels. I need some help. I am not going to sit and deal with this crap without some help. I know I have years of this ahead. I don't know why you are still dealing with it. But maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

chantel, there was a thread on here quite a while ago about how old was the oldest lady here who was still having periods, and the results were quite astounding to me. some ladies still get regular periods into their 60's. not much help to you probably, but just lets you know that you're not alone.
i myself was 53 and a half when i had my last period, and although they'd been somewhat hit and miss up to that point, they were fairly regular-ish and i'd never missed more than 2 in a row until they finally stopped.

sue

Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

I will be 50 in 2 months & am still going strong. although the past 2 months my periods have been 8 days late. i wish they would just stop already~~

Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Chantal,

I got regular periods until they stopped entirely...and then I had periods for 2 months and now nothing for over a year, whooopieeeeeee! I'll be 57 in a few months!! Oh, for what it's worth, and I'm repeating myself here, but my obgyn said regular periods are the sign of healthy ovaries.

I have had no peri or menopause symptoms whatsover...unless you take into consideration the feelings of jubilation, freedom, confidence, and energy that being period free has brought about, !

Your turn will come,

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-01-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

Diane9999 HB User

i just turned 53, have mnpsl symptoms, but basically still get my pd almost every month. I started at age 11. My sister at age 55 still gets hers too. We are of greek origin, and she thinks that some ethnicities just get it earlier and keep having it longer.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi ladies,

Thanks for all of your replies.

I remember, Beth, that you had your periods quite late. Such fun being female, huh?

Diane, I am of German/British origin so I don't know how our ancestry relates.

I do know my mom had her periods until 55 or 56 and then they just stopped.

One thing that bugs me is that since starting peri I never know when I'm going to get mine, so I guess you just have to be prepared at any time.

Thanks too for the link about the ladies who were the oldest still menstruating. It was very interesting.

Chantal

Last edited by Chantal231; 02-06-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

fridafan HB User

I just turned 55 in January and I'm still having regular periods. The cycles are shorter both in the time in between periods and in the length of the flow, only a couple of days. I thought I was about the oldest menstruating woman alive, going for the Guinness World Record, until I read on the Web that a woman aged 104 was still having periods! Yikes!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Frida,

Welcome to the boards!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm 53 and like you my periods are closer together but only last a couple of days. I'm hoping they just stop soon or even skipping a few months would be nice.

Chantal

Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane9999 View Post
she thinks that some ethnicities just get it earlier and keep having it longer.

Studies have been done regarding this topic and if I recall the closer you are to the equator, the earlier you start menses...so girls/women in central America start their periods earlier than girls/women in Alaska, for instance...there may be a connection to the amount of sunlight one gets. Genetics is another factor as is overall good health. Healthier girls/women start their periods earlier and have a later onset of peri and menopause. There is a difference between ethnic groups but it appears to be slight and may be related more to overall health and location, but I don't know.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-20-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Closed Thread