It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

kandm79 HB User
Is it a Hotflash?

Hi Everyone

I am new to this and writing on behalf of my mom. Even though I am relaying the information to her, I hope that people donít feel that its not important. I am her only child and worried about her. She just started having these episodes. She is 51, and not diagnosed as peri or menoÖ irregular periods, lengthily periods and now 1 missed period. She had a hot sensation starting below her neck to her feet. The 2nd time it was the same, she didnít lose any feeling, no numbness, and no chest pain. She did however, want the TV off, she couldnít stand the sound of it. It didnít last long. She almost feels a chill first, before the hot flash, then she feels cool after it too. She also had a funny feeling inside of her, like ants walking all over her, Iíve read some people say internal shakes.
Another time the feeling started from the feet up. She isnít sweating, just a little flushed. Her heart rate is in the upper 90ís. I feel itís a hot flash, and asked an on call GYN Dr tooÖand they think it is as well. But of course I am the worried daughter. I hope this all made sense.

Kelly

Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Is it a Hotflash?

Kandm79,

You are a sweetheart, concerned about your mother. Your question makes perfect sense.

It sounds very much like hot flashes, and that would make sense, with your mother's age, and other symptoms (the irregular periods, etc.).

I have recently gone through the same type things. I have only had a few hotflashes, and my period stopped almost three month's ago. Once they stop for 12 months straight, menopause is over! I can't wait, and I am determined to enjoy the process!

There are a lot of women with completely differant experiences, and I hope to see them post here. Feel free to ask the boards any other questions...you will get many opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

kandm79 HB User

Thanks Writeleft,

I was so nervous and worried. I didnít know what to do. I was worried she was either having a heart attack or a stroke. Then it hit me, hot flash. Its just that when you go on *****, it states that hot flashes usually occur in the neck and face. So I wanted and want to get more opinions.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Good for you...your mother is lucky to have such a loving daughter! Right ladies?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
(female)

kandm79 HB User

Thank you that is very kind of you. I forgot to mention one other thing. Confusion!! She feels confused, like de ja vu.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hello kelly. my experience of hot flashes (or flushes as we call them in the uk) started much like your mums have, and they changed all the time. certainly in the beginning they were very unpredictable and difficult to deal with. sometimes they were a total feeling of needing to rip my clothes off and almost unable to breath, when they're like that it's difficult to concentrate on anything else and i can empathise with your mum's difficulty with noise or fuss. then they would fluctuate and i'd have maybe 15 in an hour, just small, all-over blush-type of feelings. then none for a few weeks, then back with a vengeance. i found they do settle down though, after maybe 6-12 months, to about 8 a day.
i'm now 3 years without a period, and 56 years old. my flashs stopped completely for a while, but in the last year they have returned slightly - but only on my face, neck and chest front, i rarely get one that envelopes my whole body.
i found the key to dealing with them is stillness and calmness. as one sweeps over my body, i sit or stand completely still, hold my arms away from my body slightly, try and breath deeply and just wait for it to pass. i found that flapping or fanning myself made it worse, just increased the panicky feeling.
they're something you mum will get used to and learn to live with. it's only this winter i've been able to start wearing winter sweaters again, they've been hanging in my wardrobe for the last 3-4 years. i found layers of lighter clothes far better, they could be peeled off. and tops with a v or scoop neck are wonderful, the very thought of a polo neck makes me hot even now!
sue

Closed Thread