It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

valkrie HB User
Question Diagnosed today

I'm 41, two periods late, FSH level - 109. My gyno says I am "through menopause" based on the high FSH level. I have only had two months worth of symptoms- mainly hotflashes with nausea, and anxiety. Should I get a different opinion, or am I actually post menopausal. The whole thing is terribly confusing and depressing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Diagnosed today

valkrie,

Welcome to the boards!

Yes, I imagine it would be very confusing and depressing but I've got a few thoughts...

My mantra?? is never get confused and depressed unless you have good reason to do so and one doc's opinion is not good reason to do so.

Get a second opinion, and get a third (I saw three docs for an opinion and I've been happily living with doc number 3's opinion for over 15 years, grin!)....but before you do so, do some serious reading on how to get a second opinion and on menopause.

There's alot of "hype" out there, and for that matter on these boards. "Menopause" sells books, supplements, "you name its" big time but that doesn't mean these "resources" are credible.

And just one more thing...a number of us went without periods for a year or longer only to have them return again, groan...and that's normal.

I don't know what your "normal" will be, but I doubt your doc is the one to make that decision.

Now take care, cheer up, and do some reading!!! And take care of yourself because you are worth it!

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
(female)

valkrie HB User

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. I was blown away by the high FSH reading. I have a three year old and while we weren't planning to have any more children, the news that part of my life is over is still somehow devastating.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

JPino9179 HB User

Yes -- ugh -- I went for a solid year without a period and last month it started again! I was alarmed at first and had an endometrial biopsy to make sure it wasn't anything else, but the test results showed no abnormal cells. Now today the bleeding has begun again. I will be 50 next week and really hoped this was all over. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
(female)

Orchid131 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkrie View Post
Thank you for your reply and encouragement. I was blown away by the high FSH reading. I have a three year old and while we weren't planning to have any more children, the news that part of my life is over is still somehow devastating.
Life is NOT over! We as women don't have to give up on life just because we're on menopause. I was diagnosed with premenopause a week ago (I just turned 41 years old). I refuse to think that life is over because there are so many solutions out there to help us feel better. I would suggest you begin researching bioidentical hormone replacement before you accept any synthetic hormones from your doctor. Bioidentical hormones are made to match your body naturally therefore balancing your hormones (estrogen and progesteron) to make you feel better, younger, vibrant, energized and increased libido again. 41 is definitely NOT the time to give up! I am taking control of my life now before I begin the worse menopausal symptoms. I suggest you work closely with your doctor and take control of your life by requesting the best and most natural therapy, bioidenticals, to make you feel better. When you begin doing your research, check into Suzanne Somers' books "Ageless" where she explains in depth the various ways doctors can prescribe bioidenticals and "Breakthrough" has actual doctor interviews of their studies on bioidenticals. Good luck to you.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
(female)

Mstic1 HB User

Hi Valkrie,

I am in the EXACT same boat you are! I am 40 years old and haven't had my period in 3 months. I went to my OB and he ordered some hormonal blood tests. I got the results on Friday and he said that my FSH was 68! He said it was menopause and he wants to start me on Hormone Replacement Therapy right away.

First of all...I was not prepared to hear the word menopause, let alone think about HRT. But...since watching Oprah and Suzanne Somers a few weeks ago.. I know that I have some research to do before I just blindly take what we wants to prescribe to me (Vivelle Dot for Progesterone and Prometrium for Estrogen). I've never even heard of those drugs!!!

This is all very frustering but I think with the internet and chat groups....we can figure out what is going to the best options for us. I'm definitely going to get the Suzanne Somers book.

Take care,
Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticWingz View Post
.... But...since watching Oprah and Suzanne Somers a few weeks ago.. I know that I have some research to do before I just blindly take what we wants to prescribe to me....
Yes, I would be very wary. I haven't kept up with the Suzanne Summers thing but she initially shunned traditional treatment for breast cancer...at the time I was following her story, I found her approaches, questionable to say the least.

Research, research, research.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
(female)

valkrie HB User

I know. It was such a shock. I sat there feeling like I had done something wrong somehow, I felt almost embarrassed. I always thought I would have another child, and the realization that I can't was hard to handle.
I thought the symptoms I was experiencing - hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, fogginess, anxiety, were somehow associated with having a phyically demanding job, a toddler, and an abcessed tooth I had repaired in December. How ignorant!

I have been on femhrt, a low dose HRT for five days now and I swear I can tell a diffence in my "brain fog". Just trying to wrap my mind around this now. Please stay in touch, we can learn together.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

When I was 45 I went through false menopause. This was due to acute kidney failure and a sudden drop in red blood cell production, among other things. I was severely anemic and needed blood transfusions, iron transfusions, hormone transfusions, and a course of steroids. I got well after all this treatment, and my periods came back for a while. Now I'm 49 and going through real menopause - hot flashes, fatigue, Vitamin D deficiency, etc. Let me tell you, after kidney failure and near-dialysis and almost dying, menopause seems like a nice, natural, harmless thing to go through!!

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic or preachy or make you feel worse, but I hope it gives you a little perspective. There is so much you can do to treat the symptoms these days. And you have a family - I never had the chance. I would feel so lucky to have a child. God bless you, and I hope you get through this crisis soon!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

OMG! Your life is beginning - not over! You have no idea how libertating it is to be menopausal. And, BTW, 1 year of no periods is menopausal. And as long as you have ovaries, you could still have a period so just because you haven't had one in a while doesn't mean you can't. WHen my doctor told me that I was shocked too! I thought I was done with them. I started my periods when I was 10 and didn't quit (thanks to HRT ) until I was 56. That's a da*n long time, girlfriend! You know much all those tampons cost over the years????? It boggles the mind. And I was on FEmhrt int he beginning till my insurance changed. I really liked it.

Closed Thread