It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

Mstic1 HB User
I'm confused...please help!

Hello,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

Does having a high FSH level (68.7) mean that you are in post-menopause?

I am 40 years old and haven't had my period in 3 months. I went off the pill last March of 2008 and then started having alot of weird symptoms (night sweats, hot flashes, anxiety, heart palpitations, stomach upset and GERD). I thought all of this were due to going off the pill but then someone mentioned peri-menopause to me. I honestly had never even heard of this. I made an appointment with my OB over the summer and he told me that I was too young for menopause so he told me it was probably anxiety. Well I had three periods since March and they were all pretty heavy. My last one was November 1st. I went back to my OB two weeks ago and told him something was definitely going on. He ordered some blood tests and a pelvic ultrasound. His nurse called me today and told me that my FSH was 68.7 and that he wants me to go on HRT (Vivelle Dot and Prometrium). Oh brother...I've never even heard of those drugs.

I don't have the night sweats or hot flashes anymore but I definitely have the heart palpitations, anxiety and just feeling kind of spacey.

Is there a chance that I will get my period again or does the high FSH level confirm that I am done? I really don't want to go on HRT if I don't need to...but I would like to feel better if I can.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: I'm confused...please help!

Mysticwingz,
It is possible you will still have another period. But it is possible you won't too. The time when your period comes and goes like that is perimenopause and after not having a period for 1 year is typically when you enter menopause, the way I understand it anyways. Your hormones are so up and down that I think having the FSH level is a good place to start, but I would try natural supplements before going on a HRT. Natural supplements do take 2 weeks-3 months to fully feel the difference though. I have taken Premarin on and off for a few years now and know that I don't want to be on it the rest of my life and hate the fact that I have to rely on it at all. My hot flashes and night sweats are the worse for me and the main reason I take the HRT. I hope that helps some. This board has been so helpful to me, you can go back and read some of the threads and find out some natural supplement idea's. Take care.
Julie

Closed Thread