It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Question How do I get tested for hormone levels?

HI Ladies! How do you get tested for the FSH level? I have asked my regular doctor to do it, and she won't. Then I went to the gynocologist and told him about the biodentical hormone thing. And he laughed at me and refused to check my hormone levels. He said there was no need to because I still have a period on time every month. Even though it lasts for 3 days instead of 5. I am 44 and have ALL the perimenopausal symptoms. I am completely miserable. SO who can test me? How do I find a doctor to help me out?? I am so frustrated.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-15-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
(female)

Orchid131 HB User
Re: How do I get tested for hormone levels?

It's going to take a straight face with your OBGYN to tell him your symptoms and be firm about needing a blood test to check your FSH levels. He's very unprofessional for laughing about the matter (perhaps he has no knowledge about the subject of bioidenticals). Before you go back into his office, get informed by reading Dr. Northrup's "Wisdom of Menopause". Once your results come in, have your doctor explain all of your hormone levels, make sure you have written down the NORMAL range of levels a woman your age should be at, get a copy of your results and ask him for the bioidentical hormones. If he refuses, he's probably a doctor that does not practice them. Do a search on which doctors in your area practice bioidentical hormones.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-16-2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Tammy,

From what I understand from my Dr, who is female and understands the perils of peri, it is very difficult to get accurate readings when we are still cycling and having regular menses. Our levels flucuate wildly from one moment to the next and that is why we feel so bad.

I have only had my FSH tested once and it really didn't indicate anything significant. Of course, this was a few years ago too. Maybe things would be different now??

That said, I too am still having regular periods but my cycle is now 21-24 days and my period lasts 2-3 days. At least that is how my last one was.

I'm here if you would like to "talk". Just private message me and I'll get back to you.

Take care.

Chantal

Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Chantal, t his is very true. As long as you are having periods, it's hard to get a reading. I was in that situation. It's the fluctuations in peri that drive you nuts. Wish I had a solution but since it appears you don't want to do BCP, I don't have another suggestion other than find another doctor - a female, preferably. They just changed my BCP and everything was fine.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Ladies! Thank you so much for writing me. I am so frustrated with this doctor. He did say that since I still have a period that we pretty regular he thought it was pointless to test because the level would be different from day to day and very inconsistant. Grrrrh!

Well I do have one bit of good news! I got an appointment with an Endocrinologist for thursday for the very first time. I want to get tested for whatever they will test me for. Would they test my hormones? I am having my thyroid checked again, and Vitamin D as well as anything this doctor will check on me. I am so TIRED of suffering. It doesn't help that I picked up a nasty headcold and I am home sick as a dog right now. It just makes everything worse.

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-16-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
HI Ladies! How do you get tested for the FSH level? I have asked my regular doctor to do it, and she won't. Then I went to the gynocologist and told him about the biodentical hormone thing. And he laughed at me and refused to check my hormone levels. He said there was no need to because I still have a period on time every month.
TEdds83,

Not to sound disrespectful, but I think you got very good advice from your docs.

As I've said in the past, I doubt very much your chronic health problems are related to menopause.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-16-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well if it's not perimenopause perhaps seeing the Endocrinologist on Thursday and having that doctor run various tests may reveal something. I don't know. But I won't sit around and just suffer. I will get to the bottom of it.
And aren't you the one who thinks everyone has Lyme's disease? Maybe I will check for that since you say most people might have that.

Closed Thread