It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

tania32 HB User
perimenopause..

I am scared, frightend and confused.
I am 49.
I have had my periods like clockwork every 28 days. My flow is about 4 to five days.
This current period started with a bit of spotting, stopped and than started with a heavy flow lasting for what has been almost 2 weeks!
Please help if you can. I have no insurance or money to see a doctor.
Is this normal?
Otherwise I feel fine, no cramping.
Thank you so much, Tania

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

debi52 HB User
Re: perimenopause..

Welcome to the world of changing hormones! Most likely, but not for sure obviously, is the fact that your progesterone levels are dropping. That is what I have gone through for the last 8 months. My period couldn't get started which is the progesterone that tells the body to "go". My doctor took ultrasounds and I had a polyp in my uterus and very low levels of progesterone. I am now taking progesterone for the first 10 days of the month and then my body has a period. My flooding periods have been rough and right now I have been having a 7 days period with 4 days heavy. This is my first really regulated month so we will see---I was told that during perimenopause the normal thing to happen to us is the drop in progesterone.
Hope this helps...I think you sound normal! However, if your period is not stopping you probably need to see a doctor!
By the way, I also had thyroid issues complicating my situation. I turned out to be hypothyroid and had to get on thyroid hormones as well.....blah!

Last edited by debi52; 03-04-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: needed one more thing said

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

tania32 HB User

Thank you Debi52,
Your response gave me some piece of mind knowing I am not alone in all this. I am really releived to have found this board.
Thanks again, Tania

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-04-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
(female)

GBug HB User

Hi again, Tania....

Try not to be scared. This is exactly what happened to me. My periods have also been like clockwork my entire life until a year ago. In fact, my periods were so regular I could predict them within an hour because they always started 33 days apart before lunch time. I'm serious.

Last year about this time, I went for about 42 days without a period. The next month was regular (33 days), the next month 48 days......they were all over the place. My flow normally lasted 3-4 days. In the last six months it has gotten longer. I started a week ago, last Monday, and I am still having a light flow....nine days later. I haven't even called my doctor about this because it is consistent with what I have read about perimenopause.

I've never really had the cramps....just really bad bloating and water weight gain beforehand. This is still the same.

Unless you have a lot of pain or pass alot of clots, it sounds like you are going through textbook perimenopause. I believe your will be convinced in no time that what you are going through is absolutely normal.

Don't worry or be scared! I'm not a doctor but I'm going through the exact same thing and I didn't call my doctor because irregular, shorter/longer periods are a classic symptom of perimenopause.

Please stay in touch. Us gals need each other more than ever!!!!

I

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-04-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
(female)

tania32 HB User

Hi GBug,
I am sitting here crying with relief after reading your letter. I actually convinced myself I was about to die of some terrible disease! I am now coming to the realization that this has to take place in my life. It is natural and it is time. (just hate getting older). Thank you so much for responding and your kindness. I have had another response as well to quell my nerves. I am so glad I found this board! looks like us women need to stick together. You have given me strength to go on today!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
(female)

GBug HB User

Tania---I'm so glad that I was able to lift your spirits. We all have to be there for each other because our significant others don't understand.

I hope you have a wonderful day!! Keep smiling!

WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!!

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-05-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
(female)

colleendol HB User

What is going on now? I'm scared too - I'm on day 13 of a very, very heavy period. I'm 45. I had a biopsy last week - now I'm waiting for the results. Before this long period I spotted for a few days.

Keep me posted on how you are.

Colleen

Old 03-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
(female)

72Malibu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tania32 View Post
Thank you Debi52,
Your response gave me some piece of mind knowing I am not alone in all this. I am really releived to have found this board.
Thanks again, Tania
So am I! This board makes me feel better about what I am going through.. This menopause stuff is no fun! Be blessed!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
(female)

debi52 HB User

Hi Everyone!

I want you all heavy bleeders to hear about what I am about to do: endometrial ablation. It is a procedure that permanently removes the lining of the uterus. It is done because of menorrhagia which is the name for heavy periods that go on for days and all the stuff we have all been going through. My actual procedure is Novasure <removed>. I have heard nothing but good things and end of all this discomfort and bleeding. My gyne recommended it to me and I am doing it!!! I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-31-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
(female)

wannarun HB User

I am 38 and think I am in peri. Of course, my primary and others say "too young" and won't test. I'm thinking of insisting on testing, but don't want to come across as a "psycho" woman.
I have been off celexa for about 2-3 months, and am finding pms symptoms much worse. My doc's office told me to either go on bc pills or back on antidepressant. After finally getting off it, I feel like it would be going backwards if I did that.
In fact, when I asked the nurse practitioner if taking an SSRI was just masking symptoms and not treating any cause, she responded by saying "sometimes wondering why is part of the problem, and we just have to stop asking why and just take the medicine".
Say what??!!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

You could very well have a hormone imbalance. I suggest finding another doctor that will take you seriously. Birth control pills suppress the body's ability to make its own natural hormones including estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone, so taking it definitely isn't going to help you. In fact, it could even make things worse. Celexa is an SSRI antidepressant. This class of antidepressants is known to lower testosterone. I think you are correct, too, about it masking the problem and not treating the cause. Taking the med just puts a band-aid on a huge boo boo, so to speak. I was on Prozac for eight years and the pill for 18 years. I now have been off both for 2-3 years and I'm finding myself with very low progesterone and testosterone. I firmly believe that if I hadn't taken both those meds all those years that I wouldn't be going through this at such a young age. I'm 38 as well. Again, find a new doctor, one that will test your hormones. Good luck

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-01-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

I second what kittywitty said. You can have a hormone imbalance at any age whether in peri or not.

Closed Thread