It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
(female)

nina7281968 HB User
what is an enlarged and thickening of a uterus

what is an enlarged and thinkening of a uterus I just came back from my doctors who did pap and said my uterus is enlarged and the walls thick or hard so she set me up to have a pelvis sono is this the signs of uterus cancer? I am alittle scared!!

Last edited by nina7281968; 03-04-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

lovecanada HB User
Re: what is an enlargedand thinkening of a uterus

I have a thickening too and have to go in for a D&C, I am trying bioidentical progesterone, hoping it'll shrink as I hate anything invasive. I had my blood work done and my estrogen is high and progesterone non-existent...the doctor feels that's the reason for the thickening. How thick is your lining, mine is 14mm. I still get regular periods.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-04-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

nina7281968 HB User

I don't know how thick my uteru is my Doctor scared me to death she mentioned cancer really she didn't give me much info just that she didn't like what she saw my uterus was enlarged and inflamed and my walls thickened so she set me up for a pelvic sono Wed. I cried all the way home! looked up everything I could about enlarged uterus and all it talked about was getting a hysterectomy. I worry alot anyway and this is the scarest thing yet.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
(female)

GBug HB User
Re: what is an enlarged and thickening of a uterus

Nina--- "hold your horses"....don't get too worried. I have an enlarged uterus. My doctor diagnosed it 5-10 years ago during my annual exam. Mine is enlarged because I have fibroids. A sonogram was used to confirm that my enlarged uterus was caused by fibroids. I believe that is the main reason (other than pregnancy) for an enlarged uterus.

My fibroids were diagnosed 20 years ago. I had two the size of English peas. As of last year, one had grown to 6cm...roughly the size of a large orange. I haven't had any problems from the fibroids but they did grow much faster in the last 5 years. Doctor says this is normal as I get closer to menopause.

Hopefully, they haven't grown any since last year and won't cause any problems so I can get through meno without a hysterectomy. Fibroids shrink after menopause in most cases.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

nina7281968 HB User

what is a fibroid? a cyst? I guess that's what they will look for on the sono. I wish my doctor would of explained it better she left me scared and clueless on what is happening to my body. Thanks for the info it helps when someone can give you info that can take alittle of the worry off. Nina

Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Nina-

Fibroids are just beneign growths. Lot's of women have them, including me, and they often grow, causing the uterus to be misshapen or enlarged.

From what i've read a thickened uterus does not necessarily mean a serious problem. - It just needs to be checked out, to make sure. Again, I have what they call "mild thickening" at 7mm. I have yrly transvaginal ultrasounds to monitor the thickening and fibroids.

Try not to worry! I think both conditions are pretty common.
Leea

Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

I'm going to jump in here too. I have an enlarged uterus and a thickened endometrium lining (not sure how thick). I do know the doctor said my uterus is the size of a 14 week pregnancy. Doctor offered hysterectomy because I have fibroids, polyps, thickened lining, heavy periods, am anemic, etc.

I am trying the natural progesterone cream. After three days of being on the cream, I had an attack of vertigo, so I stopped using it. The doctor says it's unrelated to the progesterone usage, so I started using it again yesterday. I don't want a hysterectomy, so I hope I can use this and hope it helps!

Also, Nina, I don't know your age, but I know my doctor says they are not too concerned about cancer being the cause unless you are beyond sixty. Most endometrial lining thickening in women below sixty is caused by too much estrogen, not enough progesterone (the ratio between the two), or it can be adenomyosis where you have endometriosis growing in the lining of your uterus and it thickens.

Are you having symptoms? Heavy periods?

Last edited by herekittykitty; 03-06-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
(female)

nina7281968 HB User

I am 40 years old and my periods are heavy for the first two days and they are really bad but lighter for about 3 days. Which I thought everyone did that. It helps me to hear other people have the same things, the thing that bothers me the most is I was giving very little info from my doctor and what I found on the internet talked about cancer too like my doctor. I do know I am going to find a different Doctor one that will sit down and explain what they know about my problems. Thank you so much it helps to talk to others it makes me feel not so alone with this.... Thanks Nina

Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
(female)

lovecanada HB User

I am now on homeopathic treatment for perimenopause and still using the bioidentical progesterone. The homeopathic doctor says because of the high estrogen the lining is thick and the moment I don't have a period for 6 months the lining should start shrivelling up. He said to monitor the lining with regular US's but not rush into a D&C. I am on a holiday and I am going to stop thinking about it till I get back home, it's been so stressful since I came to know about the thick lining and reading all the stuff on the internet. I'm glad to have found you all to share this with....thank you!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
(female)

gr8mama HB User

I too was told that I hade a large thick uterus, and that the cause was adenomyosis. So my dr. said she would like to try doing the uteral ablation even though she didint think it would be a big help, she just wanted to start on the less exstream side before jumping into a hyst. So I went in and hade d&c and the ablation as well as laproscopy. and now it is a little over 3 months and my periods are coming back and all of my pants are to small and to tighte on my stomach, and the pain is almost worse than before. I am about to go back to my dr. and ask to just take out the ute. and be done with it. I read all the storys of the woman who had done the ablation before and said that it didnt work and now wish I had listened to them.

Closed Thread