It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

jasmarie HB User
Prometrium

Just got Rx for Prometrium. I did not know there was a pill (since 1998) on the market that is supposed to be "natural" progesterone. My question: If large drug companies aren't interested in "natural" products because if they cannot be altered synthetically, they make no money on them. How can Prometrium be "natural" if it is marketed by a large pharmaceutical company and they are selling this for $58 a month at Walmart to $75 a month at Walgreens. The ingredients claim to be made from wild yam which is natural so how can they claim it is natural and make a large profit on the sale of this product? I am debating whether to fill my new prescription or try to find another doctor who will give me a RX for compounded cream at compounding pharmacy. Would appreciate any comments.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Prometrium

If I were you, I would research that medication thoroughly before I put it in my body. A new doctor referred to me by my gyno recently wrote me a script for it. After doing extensive research on it, I said, 'No way in hell I'm taking this crap!' Judging by the list of side effects for this medication, both common and rare were a mile long, I seriously doubt if it's 'natural' at all. True, not everyone will experience side effects. However, I am someone who is a guinea pig and very sensitive to side effects. I told this quack doctor this and also that I have a history of depression (even suicide attempts), and she just blew me off and gave me the script anyway. To top it off, many of the common side effects of it (depression, mood swings, anxiety, etc.) are things that I'm already experiencing due to peri. So, I'm confused , how exactly was it supposed to help me? Right now I'm using a bioidentical progesterone cream called Oasis Serene that I buy off the net until I can find a different doctor. So far, so good. I'm low in progesterone and testosterone. Good luck.

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-11-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Prometrium is bioidentical to the progesterone that or bodies make.

That is why it is allowed to be labeled progesterone. Whereas synthetic products like provera, norethridone,etc are labeled progestins.

Chantal

Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

I think the difference here is in the delivery of the progesterone. With Prometrium, you are taking a pill by mouth. Therefore, it has to pass through your liver and that is where the problem comes in. That is why you can get the more severe side effects like blood clots and such.

The progesterone cream is delivered through the skin and doesn't pass through your liver, bypassing the filtering systems in your body and therefore not subjecting you to the more severe side effects. That is the shortened version of what my doctor told me.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
(female)

jasmarie HB User

I guess my question is this: If Promethium is supposed to be natural, how can a big drug company produce this product, the FDA approves it, and the company sells it for a huge profit (ranging from $59.00 to $75.00/month @ 3 different pharmacies that I called) - when supposedly a "natural" product cannot be sold for a profit since it is natural. It has to be "tweaked" somewhere along the line, even though I did look up the ingredients and it does say it comes from wild yam, they have to be changing something to make it patentable to sell it for a profit. It does have Red #40 and Yellow #10 coloring which is absurd - for what to make the pill appear pink?? I did read all the side effects as well. Why would a natural product have so many side effects? I do not undestand why my doctor gave this to me when she knew my feelings on everything being natural, unless she just does not "get it". When I tried to explain Dr. Lee's theories to her she basically said it was wrong for me to base everything on one person's theories!! Dr. Lee studied women's health issues for over 20 years. Thanks for everyone's input and for anyone who reads this please add your input as well.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmarie View Post
I did read all the side effects as well. Why would a natural product have so many side effects?
That's what I'd like to know! While it's true that most everything (even some of the foods we eat) has side effects, the side effects that come with the prometrium are all things that we as women going through peri and menopause are trying to avoid, not make worse. What herekittykitty's doc said makes alot of sense, though, about it passing through the liver first so you get more side effects. I'd go with the cream if I were you. As for the how the drug companies can make a profit, well that doctor that prescribed it to me said that prometrium isn't 100% natural by any means, but it's more natural compared to the synthetic hormones because it's made from wild yams. Hopefully that answers your question a little bit.

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-12-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
(female)

hailey321 HB User

The reason that they can make this product is that someone has to prepare it for consumption. Additionally, it's "natural" in that it's not a "progestin" which as been somewhat altered so the body can absorb it. Progesterone is just that, progesterone but it's be "derived" from "natural" plant sources.

Bioidentical is a misnomer in and of itself as ALL of these things are synthetic just some come from plants and others from other sources.

They have to report ANY and ALL side effects that occurred in the studies that were done on the product. This doesn't mean that you will react the same way.

When you're pregnant you have "natural" hormones going through your body right? Some people vomit and have morning sickness etc for months during pregnancy, I did. This is natural hormones that your body is reacting to. So you may react to anything. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's always safe or the right thing. This is a trial and error sort of thing. There is no one size fits all here. Some people do better on Provera vs the progesterone. Go figure.
Hope that helped.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

A lot of products are "natural" products that are patented, sold, and a profit made by someone. For instance, I am taking iron supplements for anemia. Iron is a "natural" substance, but Abbott Laboratories puts it in a pill form and sales it for a profit. Same with vitamins.

As far as natural products having side effects: Well, poison oak is natural, but it has side effects if it gets on your skin. The iron I am taking is natural but has side effects. It gives me an upset stomach. That's why I am using the progesterone cream that is absorbed through the skin so that I can hopefully lessen the side effects from it.

As far as your doctor saying you shouldn't base everything on one person's theories, well Dr. Lee is far from the only educated, well-respected, practitioner that believes bio-identicals are easier on your system than the hormones that pass through the liver in pill form or the synthetic products such a Premarin.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-12-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread