It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User
Biodenticle vs Synthetic HRT

Good Morning Ladies!

I've been reading through the posts and I no longer feel I'm the only one suffering through this madness!

I've been doing some research on my own, when I have time, but I'm wondering if there is anyone who has possibly tried both the synthetic hrt, and the biodenticles?

I'm trying to decide which would be a better option for myself when I go into the doctor at the beginning of June. (the earliest appointment I could get). I guess I'm asking for the pro's and con's of each.

I know every one of us is different and will react to medications differently, but some idea of what could happen is better than getting hit with something with no warning.

Thanks millions! You ladies are the best!
Becky

Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
(female)

LisaH1960 HB User
Re: Biodenticle vs Synthetic HRT

Hi Becky,

I donít know what your symptoms are, but have you considered trying any OTC products? While itís true that they donít help everyone (what does?), many of us have found relief by using things like soy isoflavones, black cohosh, red clover evening primrose, etc, and as you have a couple of months before your appointment, it might be worth a shot.

I started having severe hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings and terrible anxiety/depression last summer. I was prescribed HRT (Premarin), and while I was happy to see that it really helped with the flashes and sweats, I still suffered from the emotional symptoms. Then I started having bad physical side-effects from the HRT and had to quit. Not surprisingly, the hot flashes and night sweats were soon back, and worse than ever.

I started taking an herbal product called Wisdom Menopause Formula in January, and for me, it has been a lifesaver. It worked on the flashes and sweats as well or better than the HRT had, and unlike the Premarin, my emotional issues have really balanced out as well. Another odd thing that Iíve noticed more recently is that my stomach is feeling better than it has in years. I have suffered horribly with acid reflux since I was a teenager, and over the years have taken many different prescription and OTC products to try to deal with this, including Aciphex, Pepcid, Prevacid Ė you name it Ė and always accompanied by liberal doses of Tums.

My latest regimen was to take double-doses of rantidine (generic Zantac) because it was cheap, and for me it worked as well as the expensive rx meds. About a month ago, I started forgetting to take my pills, which was weird, because the pain and discomfort was normally impossible to ignore, especially at night. Anyway, I decided to quit for a few days to see what would happen, and I havenít had to take a pill in over three weeks now, and I rarely even think about my stomach.

For me, this is miraculous. I canít say for certain that it is the Wisdom Menopause Formula that did the trick, but aside from starting and then quitting the HRT, I canít think of any other changes that could be responsible. I still take an occasional Tum, but nothing like I had been.

Anyway, to get back to the point, the OTC products do work well for some of us, and as youíve got some time before your appointment, you may find that itís worth your while consider that option.

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
(female)

Mstic1 HB User

Hi Becky,

I would highly encourage you to go with the bioidenticals! The synthetic hormones will take away your symtoms....but they are not an identical match to the hormomes that are in your body and they are harmful in the long run. If you can...please try to read Suzanne Somers books. They have really helped me understand all of this.

My regular OB wanted to prescribe me birth control pills....but I said no. I found a nurse practioner in my area who specializes in bioidenticals. I met with her for an hour and a half and she was great. I started on bioidenticals this past Saturday. I don't really "feel" anything yet...but my mind is more relaxed knowing that I went this route.

Good luck at your appointment,
Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-07-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User

Lisa,
The worst of the symptoms are the hot flashes, night sweats and the brain fog. I've started writing myself notes to make it easier to remember something I wanted to get done, and now I'm having difficulty making sense of the notes. (needs more detail in them I guess LOL) I think I'm handling the mood swings pretty well, but then I also don't think those are anywhere as near as bad for me as some of the ladies. I do have a tendency to be a bit "snippy", as my darling daughter has pointed out, but thats the worst of that so far. The depression concerns me a bit as I went through a bit of that about 8 years ago, and I'm starting to see some the same things and feelings coming back.
I'm going to look up some of the things you mentioned and see what might help me until I get to the doc.
Thanx tons!
Becky

Closed Thread