It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
Prempro: Is it safe?

My doc just perscribed this for my peri symptoms..is it safe? Anyone have any dealings with it? I'm kind of worried that the side effects may be worse..but I'm desperate for some relief!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: Prempro: Is it safe?

With any prescription HRT there are risks. That said, many women, myself included, have chosen to take a HRT knowing that there is some risk. I was at the point that I truly thought they were going to have to admit me somewhere, I felt like I had lost control of everything and was going crazy. I was prescribed Premarin and took it until I felt like a human again and have backed way off it, but have not completely given it up. I had tried most natural supplements with no results or very little. Do some research and you can decide if it is for you or not. Hope that helps,
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Laye & Julie too,

Prempro is the hormone therapy that was used in the now infamous Women's Health Initiative (WHI) study that frightened many women away from hormone therapy.

It is a combination of premarin (made from pregnant mares' urine) and medroxyprogesterone acetate.

Do some research, Laye, as Julie suggested. Knowledge is power.

If I have to use a hormone therapy my personal preference would be the Climara Pro transdermal patch. By using a transdermal system you are bypassing your stomach, liver and digestive system, though a tiny amount does go through the liver from the bloodstream. But I believe it is easier to use this way and possibly with fewer side effects. Also since it is a patch you only need to change it once a week.

The hormones in it are estradiol and levonorgestrel.

Hope this helps.

Chantal

Last edited by Chantal231; 03-19-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

Mstic1 HB User

Hi Laye,

I have been doing alot of reading lately on peri-menopause and menopause and from everything I have read...Prempro is probably not the best choice. It is a synthetic hormone combination that does not match your bodies hormones and can cause problems down the road.

I would talk to your doctor about using bio-identicals. I'm not sure what your symptoms are...but there are alot of other things you can use to get some relief.

I just started on bioidenticals two weeks ago and I am having some good luck. My hot flashes had died down, the night sweats are almost gone and I am actually starting to sleep thru the night.

You might want to also read John Lee's book on peri-menopause. It has alot of good information.

Hope that helps,
Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-07-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Closed Thread