It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User
Possible perimenopause and herbal help? Sorry if long...

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I last posted to the healthboards but it's always been in other areas. Anyway.....

I started going thru what I believe now to be perimenopause about 5 yrs ago, but at the time I thought I was pregnant. I was about 37 & am now 42. I have Bipolar, ADHD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Gen. Anxiety Disorder, and Post Traumatic Stress. I am not on meds and haven't been since 2000. As hard as my husband and I try, we just can't afford the meds or a doctor, so I try to get thru the best I can day by day, which isn't easy by any means. And the way I see it, if ya don't have the money, ya just don't have the money.

I'm having trouble with mood swings, which were already bad enough but are worse, irritability, memory lapses, brain fog, crying at the drop of a hat over things that usually never made me cry, inability to stay asleep all night long, incontinence, nausea, burning sensation in the mouth, dizziness, bloating, and my period has went from once a month to twice a month and the flow isn't nearly as heavy as it used to be......well, I think that's enuff for the moment. That's already more than I can deal with. My poor hubby has already been thru hell with me with just my disorders, and now he has to deal with this. I actually feel sorrier for him than I do myself, but this is scaring me. I had been looking forward to not having my period every month anymore, but never realised I'd have to go thru hell to get there. *sigh*

Anyway, is there ANYthing I can do or take herbal-wise to help with the mood swings, sleeplessness, nausea, etc? Please help me.....not sure how much more either of us can handle. Thanks in advance...

Sue

Last edited by BipolarGal42; 03-20-2009 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: Possible perimenopause and herbal help? Sorry if long...

Sue welcome to the boards, let me first say I am sorry to read you are dealing with so many issues, I know it must be very hard without med's for some if them. Though med's aren't always the answer. Your period will get to be less and less but for now will be unpredictable. I have found taking a fish, flax and borage softgel has helped me with my moodiness, panic attacks, and some with sleeping better. You can probably just take the fish supplement without the flax and borage and get the same results. Most of all, know that you are not alone and we are hear to listen and help you. When I came onto this board I thought I was going crazy I had so many issues, but things have calmed down and being here helped in that. Sorry I am not more help. Take care and check back soon,
Julie

Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User

Julie, thank you for replying so quickly and for the warm welcome. You have been a tremendous help and all in one post. LOL I'm just glad to know I'm not alone in this. I have enough to deal with with the disorders I mentioned in my first post, but this takes my level of non-tolerance to a whole new & scarier level. I was actually wishing I could run away to the mountains away from people, admit myself into a mental hospital or be tossed off a bridge. And that was all just this past weekend when I kept snapping at people and blowing up like a crazy person.

I heard/read about Omega 3 Blend. I'm thinking of trying that along with One-A-Day multi-vitamins. Maybe even some calcium chews, which I've taken before. I can only hope they don't cost very much.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Sue, You mentioned Calcium, do you take magnesium? Magnesium is also a very good thing to help you relax and sleep better. I know some days I have too felt like I should be admitted somewhere, hang in there is does improve. Maybe as you see yourself starting to blow up at someone try and step back and count to ten or something, just enough to let yourself calm down for a second. Just a thought. Take care, Julie

Old 03-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User

Magnesium helps with migraines, right? I should add that to my list of herbals to look for. Ok, how's this list so far....

Omega 3 Blend
One-A-Day multi-vitamins
Calcium Chews
Magnesium
Suma

Anything else I may need?

From what I read of all these, they should cover my worst symptoms......I hope. Hubby won't like how much all these cost but if he wants a happier & healthier wife then he'll find a way to manage. As for counting to 10 when I feel a blow-up starting, been there, done that. I've counted to 100 and STILL couldn't stop the explosion. Don't forget, I'm dealing with Peri-menopause ON TOP of Bipolar, ADHD and all that.......that's like PMS x 100 LOL Really not a laughing matter, but I have to find some humor somewhere in this hell or I really would go insane and I'd be dragging hubby right along with me. Not a good scenario in my opinion.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I take something called Estrotone that helps me. It has black cohosh, chaste berry, and a few other herbs in it. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-20-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Sue, I would say that would be enough to start with, if you add to many things at the same time you will never know what is truly helping. <removed> hope you find some relief soon, Julie

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-20-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User

Thanks, kittywitty. One question tho.....What does it help with? Mood swings, sleeplessness, everything?

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-20-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User

I see your point, Julie. I'll try not to overdo it. Thanks.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-20-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Although supplements have helped some, they do come with some risk. If you consider taking a supplement, it may be helpful to research some of the issues associated with that supplement before popping one in your mouth or using it on your skin.

The Federal Drug Administration has a wonderful site for researching supplements but this is another good federal site that deals specifically with supplements used during peri/menopause.

[url]http://nccam.nih.gov/health/menopause/[/url]

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-20-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolarGal42 View Post
Thanks, kittywitty. One question tho.....What does it help with? Mood swings, sleeplessness, everything?
It mostly helped me with mood issues. Prior to taking it, I was suicidal during my period and I was depressed (just blah) for the other three weeks out of the month. Like the other poster mentioned, though, you should research all of the herbs in it before you take it, especially if you already take other things as there might be an interaction.

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-20-2009 at 01:17 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User

Thanks for the warning. I'll research more before I buy anything.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User

Ok, I did my best to research what was best for me and I also talked to the pharmacist at the store. Here's what I ended up getting.....

One-A-Day Women's Active Mind & Body
Equate Estroblend
Viactiv Calcium chews

The pharmacist recommended the Estroblend when I told him what I needed help with and needed sth cheap. I felt this was the best course for me. Here's hoping I'm right. LOL

Thanks, everybody, for your advice and input. I really appreciate the help.

Sue

Old 03-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolarGal42 View Post
Ok, I did my best to research what was best for me and I also talked to the pharmacist at the store. ....Sue
Great!! Talking to the pharmacist about these things is an excellent way to go!

Now that you have your supplements in hand, I would suggest you keep a daily diary of your mental, physical, and emotional experiences. This may help you evaluate your health and the impact your supplements have on your health...it is too easy to forget what's what when you don't write things down. And don't worry about not recording daily...sometimes a blank page says more than one filled with print.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-21-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #15
(female)

BipolarGal42 HB User

Bethsheba, thanks for the suggestion. Luckily, a notebook or composition book isn't that costly. I'm so looking forward to having more energy and memory and not so many bad moods or crying spells. LOL Now maybe I can get out more and walk. Alot. I can't believe how run down I let myself get, but that's easy to do when you can't afford the right kinds of food or can't make yourself get out and exercise. Thanks again

Closed Thread