It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
Prempro or Yasmin

Ok...Here is a question..I've got two options to deal with my peri symptoms. Yasmin or Prempro...Why is Prempro getting so much negative attention and BC pills are not? They both have synthetic hormones..I need some estrogen. Not a lot. Wouldn't Yasmin give me that without all the risks of Prempro? I'm really confused. I don't know what to take. My mother was on HRT for 30 years..she is in her 80's now. However, she did have uterine cancer and one heart attack.

So..I just don't know what to do? I can't find anyone dealing with bioidenticals..I've tried P cream..herbal stuff..some other BC pills that were higher in estrogen. I've read that Yasmin is lower E and hair friendly. I have thinning issues due to hormonal flux. I need something..but I've never felt so confused as where to go. I'm tempted to just take the Prempro and risk it. My doc is saying it's still safe to take...but is it? Has anyone out there had any luck? I have to do something!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: Prempro or Yasmin

Both Prempro and birth control pills have synthetic estrogens and progestins. The pill has higher doses of estrogen and progestin so that it interferes with a woman's cycle to prevent pregnancy. Prempro has a lower dose to suppress symptoms of menopause, but not enough to prevent pregnancy. So, in theory, I suppose Prempro would be safer because of the lower doses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User

Then why is Prempro getting such a scare when it comes to cancer and heart risks? If the BC pill has more synthetic hormones? Why is that not getting women to stop using it? My doc told me that the Prempro would stop my periods indefinitely within a few months and she only wants me on it for a few years. So..Yasmin has more estrogen and progesterin than Prempro?

I did not know hormones would be so confusing.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

It is VERY confusing, for sure.

Yasmin has different hormones than Prempro, so it is hard to make a side by side comparison. Prempro has conjugated estrogens and medroxyprogesterone (at different strenths according to your needs/symptoms), while Yasmin has 3 mg. drosperinone and .030 ethinyl estradiol.

Do you still need birth control? That might help make up your mind about which one to try. If you still need birth control you could go with the Pill.

I think the reason Prempro got such a bad wrap is because that is the med. that doctors prescribed most often. I think the media was using HRT and Prempro interchangeably, kind of like we call all tissues, Kleenex. So I don't really think it is only Prempro that can cause problems, but all HRT.

You also have to think about it is mostly younger women using the Pill, versus older women using HRT. It stands to reason the older women are going to have more issues with taking synthetic hormones, whether it is in birth control pill form or HRT, than the younger women.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi Laye,

My personal choice would be a low dose birth control pill like Loestrin, Alesse or Mircette.

No way would I ever take Prempro.

Just my two cents.

Chantal

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
(female)

lvbuie HB User

I started taking Prempro at 42. I am now 61. I had my tubes tied at 28. After I quit taking birth control pills I had heavy periods for 10 days each every two weeks. I felt like I was in a constant period. I also had two operations for fibroids. I was also going to the doctor all the time for yeast infections and painful urination. I also had a lot of headaches.

Once I started on HRT (Prempro) my headaches stopped, I never have had any urinary track infections and the periods stopped completely.

The only problem I have had since starting HRT is some hair loss over 19 years of taking it.

I did try and stop about 5 years ago and immediately all the symptoms started coming back with the new symptom of hot flashes so I resumed it.

I feel that for all the negative aspects of HRT my life is good and I feel good.

I do have to say that I am lucky as I never get sick so maybe it just works for me. I would try something new, but I feel that for every new thing you try there is a downside to it.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

just out of sheer curiosity ivbui, you're 61 now and still taking it. do you intend to take it for ever, due to symptoms returning and new ones starting when you stopped taking it? it's something i've been wondering about, not ever having taken any form of hrt or cream or anything. is it ok to take for ever? do you think you'll get to a point when, if you stop taking it, no symptoms will appear? my understanding is that whenever you stop taking hormones you still have to go through the symptoms barrier to some degree - is that right?
i'm 56, 57 in a few months, and have come out the other side of all this still in one piece, having decided to tough it out, although perhaps i would have done it differently if i'd have had some of the symptoms you did.

sue

Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
(female)

lvbuie HB User

Sue,

I would love to be able to get off this, but when I try all the symptoms come back. The price also get higher every year too. I wonder when it will become generic? Does anyone know?

I haven't decided what is better, feeling good or dealing with all the affects of getting off it. I did read an article about a woman who was in her 80's and was worried about still taking it. The doctor said if she was 80 he didn't think that she had to worry about it. I talked to my doctor when the scare hit years ago and his idea was that you have as much a chance of getting hit by a truck as getting ill effects from it. I don't know if he is correct or not.

My mother took birth control pills until she was 60. Her doctor made her get off the birth control pills and didn't put her on anything. She made it through menopause, but within a year of stopping the pills her hands twisted up with arthritis really bad. I really didn't want that to happen to me so I started taking the HRT. I wonder if she would have done better by replacing the birth control pils with HRT? She is now 84 years old and doing well except for the arthritis.

Linda

Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

My mother in law had a hysterectomyat 45 and went on hormones until she was 81 or 82...She never had any problems taking them. When she got off of them she did have some hot flashes and she did not seem as sharp and with it as she did before.. She started to get forgetful and confused maybe that would have happened even if she had stayed on her hormones.

Closed Thread