It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Hormones - When should I test?

I'm currently in perimenopause. I've been using a progesterone cream for a few months to help bring my level up, which was very low the last time I was tested. I'm going to get my levels checked again in a month or so and I was wondering at what time during my cycle should I get the blood work done? Right after ovulation? During my period or right after? I've tried researching this extensively and haven't found any answers. The only information that I've found is something that says not to take any hormones near the time when the blood is being drawn, which makes sense. For example, if you get the test done in the morning, take the hormones after the blood is drawn. Thanks for any and all replies.

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-31-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hormones - When should I test?

When I had mine done I was on bcp so I had it drawn the day before I started back on the active pills after the placebo ones. That's all I can offer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

When I had mine checked with the saliva test, it was supposed to be done between the days of 18-21 of your cycle.

I also had this done by a blood draw. It did not matter on the blood draw which day you went because they have different lab ranges for where you are in your cycle. They had ranges for luteal, follicular, midcycle, pregnant, postmenopausal, contraceptives.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. Herekittykitty, is the saliva testing more accurate? I heard it was.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

My doctor seems to think the saliva test is more accurate/reliable. I talked her into getting some levels done through blood work to help with the cost because my insurance will pay for blood work but not for saliva testing. She insisted on testing estrogen and progesterone through saliva though, as that is where she felt my issues were.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I just sent in my saliva tests through the mail today. I went to a wonderful Naturalpathic pharmacy where the test for peri and menopausal symptoms and have a lab to mix up the biodentical hormone creams. To me this was a huge blessing to find them. It cost me 275.00 for the kit (which I had to do 4 saliva samples, one when I first got up, one before lunch, one before supper, and one before bedtime) the lab fee, and for my consultation with the pharmacist when results come back in two weeks. For me it was worth it to find some help. My regular doctor and gynocolgist (who is a man haha!) didn't seem to take me seriously about my symptoms. It makes me so angry. There is no need to suffer like this for the next 10 to 15 years. I am 44 and have alot of symptoms.

I will keep you posted as I get going on all this. I wish you all well too. Please let me know what is helping all of you. I am willing to learn and try about anything. Hopefully natural things.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Herekittykitty -

Thanks for answering back so quick. I don't know if my doctor does the saliva testing or not. They do prescribe the bioidenticals, though, so maybe they do both kinds of testing. If they do the saliva, I hope my insurance pays for it. I can't afford to spend big bucks on it. I had a blood test done back in November. The results were that my estrogen was slightly low, but 'not a major concern' according to the doctor. However, my progesterone and testosterone were extremely low. I was on my cycle when I tested. I wonder how much of a different reading a saliva test would give as opposed to a blood test. Is your doctor a naturopath?

TEdds83 -

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I remember responding to your posts before. You're the one (if I'm not mistaken) who's doctor wouldn't test your hormones because you're still having regular periods. I think you also said he laughed at you when you mentioned the bioidenticals. What a dork.

My doctor prescribed me something called Prometrium, a supposed bioidentical progesterone pill. I never filled the script, though, because I'm very sensitive to side effects, and that medication is loaded with them. Many of the common ones listed are things that I'm actually trying to get rid of like depression, mood swings, and anxiety. So, I started using a bioidentical micronized progesterone cream called Oasis Serene that I ordered off the internet. I've been using it since January, so far so good. I've hit a few bumps in the road, though, mainly because I ran out a couple of times because I didn't order it on time. I'll keep using it until it stops working, though. At that time, I guess I'll go back to the doctor and have her prescribe me a compounding cream. I just hope my insurance covers it. They wouldn't cover the testosterone cream she was going to prescribe me. She told me it would cost $50/mo. I'm already paying $60/mo. for the Oasis.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-01-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

My doctor is an M.D. and also a D.O., dual degrees. She definately has a slant toward "natural" cures with vitamins, supplements, bioidenticals, diet, but she will write a prescription for meds. if necessary. She certainly holds more regard to the saliva testing.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
(female)

mistybluey HB User

My doctor and compounding pharmacy told me most insurances ( and all they knew of ) don't cover biodentical because it's a natural substance. That is why there was all that fuss where the pharmeceutical companies wanted to ban them.. they can't make a profit off of it. :-)

However, I am prescribed a pretty strong dosage of progesterone (biodentical) cream and it cost around 32 dollars per month currently out of pocket. Well worth it, and you can keep testing it by using it and telling your doctor if you feel you need a stronger strength. I think mine is 50 grams.. started out at 15 grams, took 50 g's to get rid of most of pms symptoms, and help with my period as well as my hair is growing back in .. Yayyy!

I was losing hair by the handfuls everyday and getting a receding hairline. It's filling back in. I won't do without my progesterone cream , it calmed my moods, I don't have those terrible cramps and my hubby insists I use it. lol nuff said.

Good luck... glad to see more docs are prescribing something natural to our bodies rather than horse urine ;-) I think insurance companies should have to cover it just like anything else, but until we insist as a collective group it won't happen... but it could !

Edited to add it has reduced my hormonal migraines. Not eradicated them but definately cut down on severity and length of said migraines. The doctor told me it is like your bodies own natural calming hormone... similiar to what a low dose of valium would make you feel in terms of helping calm moods. I was a regular b*tc#! for like two weeks of the month before LOL

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-11-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Mistybluey I am so excited to read your post!! I just got my saliva results back. I was ok with Estrogen and Cortisol. My Progesterone and Testosterone were extremely low. Like way below the low mark. Eeh gads! Kind of scared me seeing the charts. My naturalpathic pharmacist is compounding my creams and I should get her call in the next day or two. I can't wait!!! She said I would be suprised at how much better I would feeling in a 2 to 4 weeks. Whoo hooo! Can't wait! I have heard such amazing things about the bioidentical hormones!! Thank God for them!

I have lived 4 horrible years like this. My hair is falling out, I have all the Peri symptoms. And for those who are ready to post me to check my thyroid. Been there done that. I am hypothyroid, I am on levothyroxine and it's under control. These symptoms are seperate from that. I am missing two very important hormones(Progesterone and testosterone). One being my sex drive and energy! LOL Us gals need testosterone too and mine barely made the chart.

I think the saliva tests are great and real accurate. It nailed my symptoms to the the tee during certain times of the day. Like for instance. Mine showed my lowest point being in the morning. She showed me the graph and asked me if I had a hard time getting up in the morning and felt bad then. I said yes!! Mornings are hard for me. I wake up real slow...I don't want to get up..I am still tired and I have alot of symptoms in the morning. The tests showed my hormones dipping the lowest in the morning. With the saliva tests you test 4 times in a 24 hours period. I am glad I did it.

Can't wait to start the cream!!

Last edited by TEdds83; 04-22-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

You sound like a carbon copy of me, TEdds83! I'm extremely low in progesterone and testosterone. However, I'm not even close to the low end of the range for either. Especially the testosterone, it's 23 and should be between 40-60! I really hope my doctor does the saliva testing. I still have to call and ask. If they do, I'm going to try and get in to get them checked again next week. Last time was November (blood test). Dr. Phil's wife did a excellent show on hormones recently. There was a lady on there that said she was only interested in sex twice a month and the rest of the month she was 'flatlined'. Boy, can I relate.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-22-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Me too! I can't wait to get the help I need. I am glad you are too. I am really grateful that Robin McGraw is bring all this to light for all us women.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, my doctor doesn't do the saliva testing. I may call around to see if I can find one that does. I'm not sure if my insurance will cover it, though. If not, I'll just have to get the blood work ran again because I can't afford the saliva tests if they're not covered. I can barely afford the hormones.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unfortunately I don't think the saliva tests are covered. I am going to try to push it through the insurance company just incase. It cost me 275.00. ugh! Now I am having a hangup getting my hormone creams made. The doctor is taking his time faxing the script to the pharmacy. I think he is being a big jerk!!! My pharmacist faxed him twice and I called his office this afternoon and they said he left for the day. Ha! Obviously he doesn't think helping a woman out who is going through this is any big deal. I have a word for him. I won't say it on here.

Anyhow....the things we go through huh? And then I will have to probably pay out of pocket for the creams....whatever! I will do what it takes. I am frustrated because I am about 10 days from my period and this is when my symptoms get REAL bad until the period starts. Then I have a few days of repeave before the cycle of symptoms start all over again. God help me!

Have a great weekend! Hang in there!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, I used to turn into a complete psycho whenever I ovulated (thankfully, I don't ovulate every month). And, God help my husband when the full moon coincided with my ovulating. Very ugly. It was like, 'Better call a priest, we need an exorcism!' Since I've been using the progesterone cream, though, things seem to be better. I just have to be very diligent about ordering it every month so that I don't run out, because if I miss even one dose, my symptoms return. I hope things get straightened out for you soon. What a pain doctors can be. I wonder if you would have a different experience if he were a woman? You have a great weekend, too. I'm going to ride bikes with the hubby and enjoy the beautiful weather we're having. Take care.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-24-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Closed Thread