It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

vicki123 HB User
Unhappy menopause

Just wondered if there was anyone suffering with the menopause like me? I can't believe how intense the "hot flushes" are. They seem to be coming in waves and I find them very draining. I don't take HRT as I am on medication for high blood pressure but I do take Ymea, any recommendations?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: menopause

Hi Vicki! You are not suffering alone. Believe me! I have tons of symptoms. I am 44 and would be considered Perimenopausal, I guess. Because I do still have a period but its real short now. Just a couple of days. Weird. But I don't mind that part. But the night sweats, itching, panic and anxiety, acid reflux, insomnia, depression and tons of other things are getting to me. Somedays are almost normal during the month but there is a good portion of my month where I am in sheer misery. I am just a different person. I just can't handle this.

I just did the saliva test where it is sent to a lab to check my hormones and adrenal function. Then I am going to get some biodentical hormones made and see if I will feel better soon. The pharmacist said I would be shocked how much better I would feel in about 3 months. Have you considered that?
Here to chat anytime you want.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

vicki123 HB User

Thanks for the info - very interesting and will discuss it with my GP on my next visit, it's good to know that I can chat on line about this problem. Thanks again

Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm on blood pressure meds and take HRT. There is no warning on that for the meds I am on. Is this some particular warning for a particular drug or just something oyu want to avoid?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
(female)

vicki123 HB User

It was just something that was told to me some years ago that if I was taking medcation for high blood pressure then I couldn't go on HRT - not sure if there is any truth in it!!? I would really like to get through this without HRT but I'm finding it difficult at the moment.........

Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

There's some debate as to the benefits/risks associated with HRT and hypertension in women. Here's what our government has to say:

[url]http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/issues/hrt.htm[/url]

This version is obviously simplified...and I don't recommend relying on any one source for anthing...but it's a starting point.

Bethsheba

PS The only time I experienced anything close to a hot flash when I was taking medication for hypertension...Norvasc...flushing was a side effect...never had problems before and problems with flushing stopped almost immediately after stopping the drug.

Also, b supplements (which people take for hypertension and for other reasons) can cause similar problems. Due to the severity of your situation, it doubt these "causes" apply but thought I would mention them for the sake of others.

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-07-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hi vivki. i've checked out what the recommendation here in the uk is, and it says that hrt should not be denied as long as bp can be controlled. so i guess if you wanted it, you could have it.
these hot flushes/flashes come and go in length and severity, and if you're not particularly wanting to go on hrt then i would just stick with it and wait for them to slow down, both in intensity and duration.
i know it feels like h**l at times when you're trying to cope with them, but the reality is they don't last too long in the whole scheme of things. i didn't take any hrt either, but i do take a menopause supplement from boots the chemist (they're on 3 for 2 at the moment) and feel that helped.
i'm 3 years without a period now, so totally menopausal, and still get an odd hot feeling, not the truly awful flushes i used to at one time though. i intend to keep taking these menopause things for as long as i feel they still might be doing some good, and if that means for another 5-10 years, then so be it.
good luck.
sue

Closed Thread