It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

dreamer09 HB User
No Sleep For A Year

I am new to this board and have a lot of reading to do. I am hopeful to find answers. I haven't had a good night's sleep in a year. I wake up because my body is so hot from night sweats and then I can't go back to sleep. I only sleep 1 - 2 hours at a time. My DO gave me ambien after checking my thyroid among lots of other tests. (No hormonal - he doesn't do) I take one a week because they are very addictive and if you take regularly you won't be able to sleep without. One morning a week I feel great. My gynocologist has me on an herbal menopause remedy (worked at first but stopped after 2 months) and then 3 different natural supplements to replenish my adrendal depletion. Those worked great for about 2 months. Only want to do HRT as a last resort.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: No Sleep For A Year

Have you done the saliva test to check your hormones and adrenals? I just had mine done and sent in on wed. I should hear back in 2 weeks and then I am going to try the biodentical hormones. I have many nights with little or no sleep. Nights sweats and itching are big things for me. And of course panic and anxiety and my allergies are worse. Hang in there! Right there with ya!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

dreamer09 HB User

I've only had the siliva adrendal test done. I need to have my hormones tested next. Good luck to you. Hopefully we'll both have pleasant dreams some time soon

Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

Catherine19 HB User

Hi

I'm went through the same. I was on dixarit (Clondine) which helped a good bit and also took evening primrose which helps balance out the hormones. This worked for me for about 6 months but I'm 've now started on combi hrt. | also take a large glass of water to bed and sleep only with cotton nities and bed linen. Don't know how you have coped so far without your sleep, I couldn't ,so fair play to you.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

LisaH1960 HB User

Hi Dreamer,

I used Ambien for a short time several years ago, and it had strange effects on me. It worked all right- Iíd take the pill, and with in 45 minutes or so I was zonked out. The problem I had is sleep walking, which was going on for some time before I actually discovered it. I started finding things out of place in the house: Strange objects in the refrigerator (like my keys and sunglasses!), dirty clothes mixed with clean clothes in the laundry room, etc.

Then one night my hubby (who sleeps like a log) stayed up late watching TV, and he saw me come wandering out of the bedroom, and when he talked to me, I didnít respond. I wandered around for a bit and then went back to bed. The next morning I had absolutely no recollection of anything Iíd done, and it really spooked me. My doctor said that this is fairly common with Ambien, and changed my rx to Temazepam, which helped me to sleep without the scary sleepwalking episodes. I did have a bit of a hard time weaning myself from the Temazepam, but I took melatonin and Valerian (both natural) and they really helped.

As far as your night sweats are concerned, an herbal product called Wisdom Menopause Formula has done wonders for me. I had been on HRT for four months but couldnít handle the side effects, and when I quit, the hot flashes and night sweats were murderous. I started taking it in early January, and it has worked way better than I could have expected. I sleep through the night, and wake up feeling energized. It has also really helped with the terrible anxiety and mood swings I was suffering, which is something that the HRT didnít do.

Iíd really suggest that you give the melatonin and/or the Valerian a try, but if the night sweats are the culprit, Wisdom Menopause Formula may just do the trick.

Take care!

Lisa

Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

I agree with the melatonin. I'm reading Suzanne Somers book "Breakthrough" and she said she takes it and it has helped her to sleep. She also takes BIH"s and has had great success with it. Men can also benefit from them too. Good luck

Old 04-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I would be very careful with the melatonin...although it is a common "natural" supplement, it may have side effects, and it has not been thoroughly tested (according to the FDA). I have written a little of my findings on the high/ low bp and sleep disorders boards but will include a synopsis here...

adverse reactions include the following: fatigue, dizziness, headache, irritability, and sleepiness, disorientation, confusion, sleepwalking, vivid dreams and nightmares, headache, difficulties with walking and balance, mood changes, psychotic symptoms, elevated blood sugar levels, elevated cholesterol levels, hormonal effects, increased breast size in men, decreased sperm count, decreased sperm mobility, nasau, vomiting, cramping,etc.

If you are interested in supplements and herbals, I would highly recommend that you check out the pros and cons on the government's website BEFORE you take them. If you choose to take them, you will at least be aware of the things that may cause problems!

For your convenience, you can find a wealth of info at Medline Plus, the government's website on prescription drug, and nutritional supplements...:

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html[/url]

Many of us who have been sucessfully treated for sleep disorders believe that melatonin is overrated for sleep and for the many other things it is purported to treat.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-12-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread