It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
here is my question

I'm 49 years old will be 50 in july. I've been on the birth control pill since i was 30. I was put on the pill for hormonal issues.. My family doctor and my gyn doctor said to stay on pill until i start going through menopause. I feel good on the pill but have concerns that i am getting too old for the pill.Plus i have been on the pill for almost 20 years. I was wondering what would you women do. Now i worry about having a stroke or getting breast cancer from being on the pill for so long. But then i could just feel terrible if i get off the pill so i just can't decide what to do...

Old 04-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: here is my question

I stayed on it till I switched to HRT. That was 6 years ago. There are no family risk factors for breast or ovarian cancer in my family so I feel I'm OK on this. Also, I do get my check ups every year - mammo, pap, etc so have that covered. I just can't go back to what it was like off of this med. The no sleep from the night sweats was the worst!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
(female)

ednamae HB User

I am 52, was perimenopausal until I turned 50. I had been taking birth control pills for the last 14 years and my doctor took me off them 4 months ago. I don't have breast or ovarian cancer history and go in for my exams every 12 months. I've been taking low dose aspirin for a couple of years and really do not worry about that. I exersize daily, try to eat healthy but, and there's always a but.....I am experiencing irritability and mild hair thinning.....no night sweats or hot flashes. My doctor told me that excersize is the most important thing .....I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, I jog regularly and go to a trainer 2 days a week. Didn't help me any. Or maybe it did and I just was so bad off I 'd hate to see what it would be like without it!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

Did either of you have menopausal symptoms while on the pill..Does the pill mask the symptoms. I also take a low dose aspirin and i exercise 3 to 4 times a week. Once in awhile i will get hot flashes during the night and i can be bothered with anxiety.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, I did. All they did was change my bcp. We had to do that a couple of times as symptoms progressed. And since I was on the pill, it was forcing me to have a period. Eventually, by the age of 56-57, I realized that my body was fighting it and that I had skipped a couple of periods even though I was on the pill. That's when we went straight to HRT. My gyno said I might continue to have some bleeding monthly for 2-3 months even though I was on the HRT daily and not to worry about that. It owuld just be my body adjusting. I never had another period and that was 6 yeras ago! YEA! It has been wonderful...all symptoms are still gone. I sleep thru the night. I am normal and I would not give it up unless absolutely necessary.

BTW, I started my periods when I was 10. 46 years of it was more than enough. It was time to stop.

Last edited by Titchou; 04-08-2009 at 06:11 AM.

Closed Thread