It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
What do Heart palpations feel like from low hormone levels

I've had this feeling like my face and neck and vibrating. I look in the mirror and I'm not shaking but feel like it inside. I'm about into the 3rd year of menopause. The only medications I take are protonix and allergy medications.

I'm making a doctor's appointment but I'm just wondering what this is because my blood pressure is in the good range and my pulse is also. Any input is appreciated.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
(female)

jill60 HB User
Re: What do Heart palpations feel like from low hormone levels

You can also have heart palpatations from thyroid problems.

Jill

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-06-2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill60 View Post
You can also have heart palpatations from thyroid problems.

Jill
And also from being anemic.

Are you having any other symptoms?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had blood work done a few weeks ago and my Thyroid is ok and I'm not anemic and the only thing was that I was alittle low on Potssium. I've been eating lots of foods with Potassium.

What does it feel like? Is this shaking feeling normal for palpations?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

ok then, a description of a heart palp:
tick....tick....tick.........CLUNK..THUM PETY..CLUNK.....tick....tick....tick

that's what mine were like, a bit. it's hard to write it down. it was like my heart would miss a beat or two, then beat extra hard for a couple of beats, then pause slightly and start again normally. and this would happen many, many times in a minute, sometimes almost every few beats. then it would happen maybe a few times a day, then stop altogether for a few weeks or months, then start again. it went on like this for about 4 years.
i never had any shaking with it and once i knew what it was i tried to ignore it.

sue

Old 05-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue - thank you for the description. I guess that's sort of what I feel although this feeling of vibrating is bothering me the most but there is no visible shaking. I'm glad to hear that eventually it went away. I was thinking that if it's due to low hormones/menopause maybe it will never go away. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow.

Herekittykitty, I don't think I'm having any other symptoms. Although I had a C spine MRI which has yet to be interpreted.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taape View Post
I had blood work done a few weeks ago and my Thyroid is ok and I'm not anemic and the only thing was that I was alittle low on Potssium. I've been eating lots of foods with Potassium.

What does it feel like? Is this shaking feeling normal for palpations?
If you're having other thyroid-related symptoms, you might want to get a second opinion. My thyroid is supposedly 'normal' according to the bloodwork, yet I seem to have an awful lot of low thyroid symptoms. Here's just a few that I have: forgetful, memory lapse, fatigue, cold body temperature, cold hands and feet, hair that is dry and falling out, dry skin, dry/brittle nails, aches/pains, low libido, trouble sleeping, low blood pressure, decreased muscle mass (yet I lift weights 5 days a week). I'm looking into getting saliva tests done as I've heard they're more accurate than the blood.

When I've had heart palpitations, at times my heart would beat so hard and fast that it felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. Other times, it would flutter lightly and rapidly. The only 'shaking' I remember was shaking my leg to try and get my mind off the way my heart felt. I don't really get them much anymore, thankfully. I was low in progesterone and I use a cream now. You could try valerian root for them until you can get to the doctor. It helped me a lot, it's very calming.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, is the Valeran root a cream or pill?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

They're capsules you can get at the health store. I buy the Solaray dried extract ones. They cost about $7.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
(female)

tired47 HB User

I have similar situation... perimenpausal, tachycardia, low thyroid. What helps me is magnesium citrate tablets for my heart. I take 600mg daily. Good luck, this menopause STINKS!! My next life I am definitely coming back as a man!!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Tired47, I agree. From what everyone has posted I'm sure I'm having heart palpatations. I guess the shaking must be the fluttering that is described. I notice that the more tired I am, the worse it is. Do some of you have these on certain days but not on other days?

I don't take magnesium unless it's in my multivitamin, but thanks for the recommendation. I've got alot of things to check out.I have a doctor's app't on Tuesday to check this out but I'm sort of afraid also in case it's something else.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
(female)

tired47 HB User

taape,
I developed PSVT... a benign heart condition which I think is from hormones/menopause. I find my heart palps are worse in hot weather, when I am extremely tired, or ingest a lot of sugar ( really), or am dehydrated. I am trying to eat whole foods, stay away from processed foods,especially sugary ones and keep drinking lots of water.
It is always a good idea to see a dr for cardiac workup, make sure it is nothing serious.It is quite frightening at times.... I am sorry you have to go thru it too.
Hope this helps you, best wishes.

Last edited by tired47; 05-09-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
(female)

Sooperb HB User

I keep getting this fluttering feeling in the left side of my chest when I lie down in bed at night. Sometimes I fall asleep ok, then wake with this definite fluttering and I am often very hot and sweaty. My pulse is much faster than normal for me and I find it hard to get off to sleep again. If I do, then it can wake me again. Once I get up in the morning it stops. I do get a trembling in my left jaw sometimes too during the day. I don't have any symptoms of heart disease, if I run I get out of breath which is normal for someone not very fit, but no chest pain of any sort.

My vibrations can't be felt externally either. I am well past the menopause by at least 5 years so I am undecided what to do about it. I started taking magnesium when I used to have panic attacks, take B. Complex and fish oil.

Could it just be stress related?

Last edited by Sooperb; 05-17-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am having heart palpatations again when I hadn't had them for months. I am wondering too if it might be the hot summer weather plus the fact that I have had a couple of cokes recently and come coffee drinks. Grrrh! I just hate this. Perimenopause just drives me nuts. All my vitamin levels are all over the place,,like low calcium, vitamin D and Iron and they cause all kinds of freaky symptoms. Then when I take the supplements to get the levels up I get an upset stomach. Can we ever win??

Closed Thread