It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
Question What can i do to stop frequent periods?

I am 50 years old. Periods used to be 28 days apart, then 24, now every 21 days then 14 days, then 21 days, etc. Just recently, after the 14 days, I got another one less than one week later! I've been anemic for the past few years so I'm taking iron every day.

What have you been taking to stop the frequency of periods? Do I just need to stick it out until they stop completely? I tried the pill for one month to regulate, which it did, but I have migraines and they worsened with the pill. To me, migraines are worse than a constant period...at least at this time!

Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: What can i do to stop frequent periods?

What has your doctor said. I am guessing you have had a pelvic exam? Are you needing like some surgical intervention such a D&C?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

caligirl59 HB User

I was convinced I was going to bleed to death early this year,but after just 2 weeks on natural progesterone cream it had stopped,and is still stopped...what utter joy.Its bad enough turning 50,I really dont want a hysterectomy.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-08-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
(female)

I've had numerous pelvic ultrasounds (transvaginally) due to ovarian cysts that were small and have since resolved. I have an appt. in two months with a nurse practitioner who dedicates her time and practice to menopausal issues. I wanted to see an OB/GYN but there weren't any in my plan who "specialize" in menopause so I opted for the nurse practitioner. This period in one week after the last is a new twist. My regular GP did enough blood work and tests when my period became more frequent and bothersome to believe this whole issue is related to menopause. I just want to figure out how to stop it. Maybe a D&C is the answer. I will wait to see the nurse practitioner and run ideas by her that I may receive from this board and then see what she suggests on her own. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
(female)

I've heard about this cream but don't know about it. I will read up on it. So, it's supposed to stop the frequent bleeding? It's safe for all?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
(female)

trychocolate HB User

If there is nothing medically wrong with you, yes, it eventually does stop. I am 50 and haven't had a period for 15 months but I can empathize with you and what you are going through. I tried the pill, too, for a few months and had to quit and back to square one. 10 years later and finally, here I am, appearing to be done, but it was definitely a huge problem (a horror story at times), for 15 years and I didn't qualify for a hysterectomy. I guess I am kind of glad as hysterectomies can bring on problems later in life too. But if it is necessary...now can be what counts sometimes.

Are you getting sufficient rest, proper diet like iron-rich foods and liquids and managing stress so that this doesn't turn into the 'never ending period' that can happen? I know you would like some help here and it would be ideal if somebody can post that definite answer for you.

Don't you feel that if you only knew how much longer this was going to go on....? Have your hormone levels been checked for possible menopause soon, or are you still in perimenopause?

Hoping for the best for you,
choc

Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

Hi, Choc: Thanks for the reply. My hormones have been checked. Still in peri. I've been iron-deficient, thanks to this never-ending period, so I'm taking iron every day. It's working. Just need to get a handle on this!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

flks HB User

I just read an IUD can help heavy periods. So maybe they can help frequent ones as well?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hi busymommy,

Oral contraceptives are contraindicated if you suffer from migraines. Your doctor should have been aware of this before prescribing them to you. I believe it even states this on the insert. Therefore, if you suffer from migranes, the pill is not an option.

There are other options for constant irregular bleeding but they are rather invasive. For example, a D & C will usually take care of the bleeding as will a procedure called endometrial ablation where the lining of the uterus is lasered out. Otherwise, you may seek out a more natural approach, such as adding more soy to your diet (soy protein acts like an estrogen supplement but I doubt it is as strong as the birth control pill). Taking iron supplements is, of course, very wise if you are anaemic. Just be careful with this as it can be hard on the stomach and bowels (can cause constipation).

All depends upon how disruptive the irregular bleeding is. If it is drastically changing the quality of your life, you might consider some of the procedures I mentioned above. Otherwise, natural supplements may soften the transition until your periods stop completely.

Take care and all the best.

Estria

Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
(female)

Hi, Flyingkites: I've had an IUD for about 10 years so I believe that's not it. I'm deciding what to do now with it because it's due to "expire." Thanks for the suggestion. I'm prepared to take items for discussion with me to the nurse practitioner visit in July.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
(female)

Hi, Estria: Great advice. Thank you so much. Yes, my MD knew about my migraines but she also figured since I last took the Pill, I was not on everyday migraine prevention meds like I am now, so she said to give it a try and I could always stop, so I gave it a go and even though it did help to regulate my period for a few months, disasterous migraines returned! Soy also didn't help the migraines, as a matter of fact, worsened them, so I stopped my favorite soy drinks. Lately, the bleeding has waned so, of course, I'm happy. At this point, I'm taking it day to day and have come to realize the future will be chalk full of "changes!" I will have a list of discussion items for the nurse practitioner visit in July.

Closed Thread