It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Extreme anxiety or normal menopause?

Hi gals,

I am knew to this site and I need help. I am 50 years old and I think I am going through perimenopause. I have the night sweats so bad that I am throwing away my third bed pillow from sweating. I can't sleep, I find sticking my head in the freezer is the best part of my life. Recently, I have become extremely anxious!! I can't stand it!! I went to my doctor and asked for a hormone test and she said no, not until my periods completely stop and suggested that I should go on an anxiety medicine. Why should we go on meds just to surpass our situation instead of dealing with what may be causing them instead. I don't know alot about menopause, my mom died before I could ask her about it. I do know that I feel so awful that I can't stand it. I feel like I am about to jump out of my skin. My nerves are shot. I use to be able to handle stress well, but anymore, I am almost like I am scared about anything and everything for no reason at all. Is this the beginning of menopause????

My periods stopped for a while, but they started again and are very heavy. I am grouchy with my husband and daughter (who is going on 16 and has hormones or her own!!!!) Sometimes I can't believe some of the bad things that I say come out of my own mouth !! I can't believe that is me!!!!

Is this extreme anxiety part of the perimenopause process? Or am I really freaking out and need some help from a therapist?

Please help!

Thanks,

Missy

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-08-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Extreme anxiety or normal menopause?

Sounds like peri or menopause to me. Don't bother with the anxiety med. That's not going to fix the problem. You need to find another doctor right away that will check your hormones. I'm only 38, still have my periods, and experienced many of the sames things you are now, minus the night sweats. I was low in progesterone and testosterone. I've been using a bioidentical progesterone cream that's alleviated many of my symptoms. I still need the testosterone, though.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-09-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Missy! Welcome to the boards! You have come to the right place to talk about with heath things like the rest of us. You are not alone! Once you start reading alot of these posts you will see that. Your symptoms are just like mine. And your doctor is responding like mine did. He is no longer my gynocologist. I got the same response. I fired him.They refuse to test if you are still have a period. That is ridiculous. Our hormones change daily and I entered perimenopause at around 42. I am 44 and have almost every symptom in the book. I have nightsweats and a few hot flashes. I know that will increase as I start to loose more estrogen. I have MAJOR anxiety and panic worse than I have ever had. I feel like I am having a break down. I was ready to go on antidepressants and anxiety meds. (still have that as an option) But thank God my regular doctor agreed to fill my prescription after I found a great pharmacy to run the hormone saliva tests for me.

This is all so new to me and for many of us women. But I am so glad I did it. It cost me $275.00 to sent them to the lab and have it done but I wasn't suprised when the tests came back saying I barely have any progesterone or testosterone. No wonder I feel so crappy. When you are low on those things the symptoms are a mile long including major anixety. We need progesterone to level those things out. And the testosterone is for our energy level and sex drive. Both of those things are lacking in me and is all makes sense! Wow!
I am finally unlocking the key to this whole thing.

Many doctors don't believe any of this because they say there is no scientific evidence of all of this. They like to say you get from point A to point B all in one shot. Then when you are in full blown Menopause they will treat us??? What about all of the years inbetween when we are losing all of our Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone? When we have hair loss, itching, hot flashes, night sweats, acid reflux, IBS, anxiety, thyroid issues, dry skin, on and on we could go. These are major things that effect our lives. That is why I am glad Dr Phil's wife Robin McGraw has shed some light on the bioidentical hormone creams. This is life changing for so many woman including me.

My regular doctor who is female, did prescribe the creams for me after she saw my report. Thank God! I am finally getting some help. I have only been on 2 days of the cream now but I am really hopeful that I will feel better soon. I will keep you all posted. I am praying it works.

All this to say to you... search until you find a doctor or nurse practioner who will help you. There are some out there. Don't settle until you do. The pharmacies will test you no matter what. So you can get the results you need to know. But from there a regular doctor has to write the prescription.

Hang in there! And please keep us posted. Here to talk anytime! I know how you feel.

Last edited by TEdds83; 05-09-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

susanah HB User

Hi missy ime 51 i feel just like you anxious about everything i never thought menopause could take over your life like it does theirs hrt i suppose that could help but ime even worried about taking that one day at a time thats all we can do

Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

tired47 HB User

Missy,
I am 49 and perimenopausal... and I agree with other posts. FIRE that doctor immediately ( I hope she goes thru this one day too).:mad
I had hormonal tests and like others low progesterone, high estrogen, high testerone. I am now on low doses of bioidentical progesterone and it has helped . I would only recomend hormone replacement after some testing. My first Dr. put me on premarin ( synthetic) with out testing and I felt like I was going to lose my mind!!! Then she put me on Zoloft.... said goodbye to her!! After being tested by my dr. now said it was the extra estrogen that made me feel this way ( I am estrogen dominant... way to much).
Also read Christine Northrups book on hormones and Suzanne Sommers book Ageless.
Please know you are not alone. I was a very "normal" person all my life... and then this hit me VERY hard. I am searching every day for new info and REFUSE to accept this as "normal". There are so many options... don't give up the fight. Look for an antiaging doctor... they deal in hormone replacement and one that is open to ideas and other options.
Good luck!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi to all of you gals that responded to my post,

I can't thank you enough for all of your information. I cannot believe that these doctors are so eager to push a pill for depression when what we need is just a balance of hormones. After receiving your responses, I sought out a compounding pharmacy in my town. I was shocked that there was actually one! I am from a small town and it turns out the first original pharmacy in my town is a compound pharmacy. I didn't know (thank you for informing me) that these pharmacies had test kits for hormonal inbalances. I called my pharmacy and was able to pick up the kit for free, but of course, you have to pay for the lab results. I think they are pretty reasonable test. They charge $30 for each hormone or $150 for a complete hormone package. I picked up the kit today and will use it immediately. Thanks for this information. I never knew it existed. My question is though, the pharmacist asked me if I wanted a saliva or blood test kit, wasn't quite sure. Saliva right?? Are these tests pretty reliable? Will my doctor adhere to it and write out a prescription for it when she is presented with the labs? I am sorry but there is not much to choose from on my insurance plan for doctors.
Are there any hormonal products available at health food stores or GNC?

I am just so glad that I am not losing my mind. My hair, oh my gosh! it is falling out so bad that it falls down my back and wraps around my ankle in the shower! As far as my dry skin goes, by the time I leave the shower I have slapped on so much baby oil and then throw on extreme body lotion and I can barely get my blue jeans over my knees to pull them up!!!!!

Thanks to all of you who have responded, you have helped my soooo much, I don't feel so alone anymore.

Missy

Closed Thread