It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Acid reflux/Asthma type symptoms with Perimenopause??

Have anyone developed acid reflux or asthma type symptoms with their perimenopausal symptoms?? If so do you think it is happening from the fluctuating hormones??

I am just wondering why I have a acid reflux issue right now at age 44 in the midst of perimenopause when I have never had this problem before in my life. It is really scaring me. Lots of mucus, Tums and meds. I have had an endoscopy done and the doc found nothing wrong. I have read the changing hormones can cause digestive issues. What do you all think?? Anyone dealing with this when they hadn't until perimenopausal years??

Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Acid reflux/Asthma type symptoms with Perimenopause??

TEdds83,

I've been taking some form of hormone replacement therapy since my 40's (I'm now 60 and definitely post-menopausal), so I don't know at what stage of peri I was in, but I developed gluten intolerance in my late 40's which gave me symptoms of major acid indigestion. (Sorry for the long sentence!!!) Anyway, it took a while to narrow down the culprit, but it was definitely gluten (mainly wheat, but also barley and rye) that gave me major heartburn. Since I stopped eating gluten, the heartburn went away. On the rare occasion that I consume a small amount of wheat, I get some acid reaction.

This is a long-winded way of saying that reactions to foods or other substances can produce sensitivities or allergies at any stage of life. My personal opinion (for whatever that's worth!) is that we develop these allergies or sensitivities when we are under stress of some sort. And we certainly know how stressful peri-menopause can be!

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

GBug HB User

My seasonal pollen allergies have gotten worse over the last few years. In fact, this is my worse time of year because my symptoms are borderline asmtha.

I also get reflux quite frequently.

I am hoping that this will all get better after menopause. I don't have a clue??

I've heard that allergies get worse during perimenopause but I don't have a clue if this is permanent or just temporary.

I wish someone could answer our questions.

I think if perimenopause was a man's disease, there would be alot more answers and, therefore, better treatment.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Hi ladies: Do some investigation on Estrogen Dominance. Our bodies are overloaded with estrogen and all these symptoms on these posts go right along with what Dr. John Lee wrote in his books, "What your Dr. won't tell you about perimenopause" and "What your Dr. won't tell you about menopause. Try to get them at the library or just investigate estrogen dominance. Our society is toxic with all the chemicals we absorb whether through the air or food. When we're not producing enough progesterone our bodies are in trouble because the progesterone is the "calming" hormone. This is why a lot of us at this stage in our lives get HRT or have our ovaries removed. That's where I'm headed. Hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI again ladies. I am on the bio identical hormones to replace progesterone and testosterone that I barely have any left of. It is my first month being on them and I am already seeing so much improvement in my bad symptoms. I am thrilled that they seem to be working. I still may need to up my dosage because I have only been using half doses to ease into this. I believe I must have been estrogen dominant. (not good) I love Suzanne Somers book "Ageless". I highly recommend it!!! I am not sure if I am allowed to mention it, but you may want to check it out.

All that being said...I still have so many things going on with my body that I am trying to figure out. Currently I have had acid reflux going on for about a year now. It comes and goes as my stress levels go up and down. Along with that my allergies have gotten worse. I have lots of drainage and mucus (yuck) and I am trying to figure out what to treat, so I am treating it all. Going on acid reflux meds, allergy meds, reducing my stress levels and leveling out my hormones which seem to wreak havoc on all area's of my life. I am hoping that as my hormones level out some of the problems resolve.

I was just wondering if any of you have developed digestive disorders such as reflux, IBS etc...as well as allergy problems with your perimenopause years. And how you are managing these things.

I was prescribed some xanax too to help me with the anxiety. I hope that works.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

I too have digestive problems. Everything I eat causes D and acid reflux. I was checked for celiacs disease through blood test and didn't have it. I also had endoscopy that was normal. I wake up in the middle of the night with stomach craps and D. I am wonder if I have lactose intolerance now.

Linda

Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

sad4me HB User

I'm 47--just tuning in here.
Lots of really really good information--thank you for posting!
I'm a newby--and have been struggling with figuring out what the heck is going on with the feeling of something tight in my chest with occasional heartburn--I also am getting <I think!?> heart palpatations. I'm thinking peri-menopausal, but don't want to assume. My GP, wanting to start somewhere, is sending me tomorrow to an allergist for the first time in my life since I have had a life-long battle with post-nasal drip. Frankly, I don't think it's just my nasal drip--likely menopause is the culprit for at least some of what going on.
Sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees----
thanks again all! ...will keep posted

Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
(female)

frustratedkl HB User

I to have had 2 endoscopies and nothing was found. My symptoms have persisted for 10 years with the mucus drainage, headaches and every 30 days, a pain in my throat, chest area that lasts for a non stop 12 hours until the next 30 days and within the last 2.5 years MENOPAUSE. I am very frustrated with doctor after doctor not finding anything and telling me that it has nothing to do with a cycle. I am to the point that I feel like a NUMBER with ALL of the different typle of physicians I have seen. Kinda makes you feel like you want to just give up. I am just hoping that it has something to do with Menopause and when that ends, so will my so call acid episodes.

Anyone out there got any ideas?
I

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
(female)

odcdfm HB User

I am almost 43 and have had peri symptoms for about a year now. Last September, out of the blue, I developed acid reflux and had it every day. I went through about 12 weeks of nexium and that seems to have calmed it. What a weird thing to happen!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Question Re: Acid reflux/Asthma type symptoms with Perimenopause??

Hi!
I, too, started having acid reflux and asthma-like symptoms during this peri phase. I had blamed it on my other health issues. Now I'm not sure. I've never had these problems before in my life. Hard to say what the cause is.

Being I had heart surgery late July 2008, I blamed the fact that my rib cage was set too high and crushing my esophagus a bit. And I blamed the wheezing on the fact I had to move into an older, moldy place. Oh I've thought of a dozen reasons...

Wonder what the truth is? Could this be related to the change of life? How crazy is that? Interesting that others are experiencing that same thing!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Gals,

Add me to the list too!! I've had bad acid reflex for over a year now. Taking two Zantac a day for relief. Allergies are unbearable! Here's what I have found to help with both. I started taking 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar dissolved in 8 ounces of water about 30 minutes before a meal, it helps with the acid reflux. The vinegar starts getting your digestive enzymes working so you can eat a meal with less discomfort. For allergies, I was taking allergy meds but they made be more shaky than I already am. I bought a Neti Pot and started using it twice a day, What a difference!!! It really works. It's a sinus cleansing rinse that you use to flush out your sinuses and you can buy it at any drug store.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

This is an interesting post. I developed acid reflux at the age of fifty three (two years ago) just when I started to experience menopause symptoms (less regular periods, hot flashes, etc) I am now fifty five and still producing estrogen as I am still experiencing menses every three to four months (used to be very regular in my younger years). I never associated the onset of the reflux symptoms with perimenopause and shifting hormone levels in the body.

Closed Thread