It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

BuzyBea HB User
Menopause and Fainting???

I have been having a lot of dizzy spells (not where the room spins, but very foggy and feels like pressure inside my head), heart palpitations and tightness in the chest which causes me to have trouble breathing. I have also had a lot of diarrhea for a little over 6 months now. My periods have also been very heavy.
I have gone for a lung Xray, numerous heart tests, stool tests, a colonoscopy, urine tests and blood tests. All have come back negative.
When this happens I get extremely worried and think something is seriously wrong with me and I think I'm dying. I have even gone to the point of going in to the administration department where I work to make sure my insurance policies and pension are in order in case I die.

A few days ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible legs cramps, so I got up to walk it off. I then got very clamy, dizzy and parched, As I tried to make my way to the kitchen to grab a glass of water, I fainted. I don't know how long I was out for, I woke up to my dog licking my face.
I called my doctor's office first thing that morning and told the receptionist what had happened and she told me to come in right away.

After looking back at my medical file and asking me about all my symptoms, the doctor believes I am going through menopause???
I went for more blood tests and I am waiting for my results.

Has anyone else here had similar symptoms???

The following user gives a hug of support to BuzyBea:
babydoll66 (06-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
(female)

MAVsmommy HB User
Re: Menopause and Fainting???

I have had similar symptoms but not so drastic. I have never fainted...but have felt like it. I had my blood drawn today to check about menopause .... maybe? When do you expect your labs back?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Buzy: You might want to consider seeing a neurologist. Get an MRI and EEG done and consider having your neurotransmitters tested. Four years ago I started having weird feelings in my head and then I blacked out and was diagnosed with epilepsy. There is a type of epilepsy called Catamenial Epilepsy that shows up either at puberty or menopause with the hormonal changes going on in the brain. Keep track of your cycles on a calendar and see if you might be having these feelings before, during and after your cycle. Sometimes meds help control these spells. I haven't been able to get anything to help me. Also, estrogen dominance plays a role here too. I'm considering having my ovaries shut down with Lupron or having them out altogether to reduce the estrogen in my body. Because the ovaries are shutting down as part of perimenopause I'm not producing enough progesterone to offset the estrogen and my brain is going haywire. I would also get checked out for diabetes which can occur later in life, especially if you're heavy. Be careful about driving if you're fainting. I had a seizure last year and crashed my car and now I'm off the road and lost my independence. Instead of having hot flashes I'm having seizures. I'm told that this could all end when menopause is over - but when - 10 years from now!!?? Check with family members to see if there is anything genetic with your issues. If your Dr. thinks you're in menopause then you must be late 40's early 50's. Strange things can happen with hormone upsets. Look up estrogen dominance and see if any of the things on the list coincide with any of your symptoms. Having diarrhea like you say you have can cause you to get dehydrated and that's not good. Do you have any allergies? Have you changed your diet lately? There could be many factors involved. Don't give up until you find some answers.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

BuzyBea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVsmommy View Post
I have had similar symptoms but not so drastic. I have never fainted...but have felt like it. I had my blood drawn today to check about menopause .... maybe? When do you expect your labs back?
I am going in Friday morning to get my results. I will post here when I get them. When I spoke to my doctor, he told me that fainting was quite common for menopausing women, along with all the other symptoms I have been experiencing. I have just never heard about it being so drastic. I've only ever heard about the hot flashes and being tired??

Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
(female)

BuzyBea HB User

Thanks 92261, I will definately ask about seeing a neurologist if these tests turn out negative. I have been checked for diabetes and that was negative also.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
(female)

mollywogz HB User

Have similar symptons. Doctor knows that I am perimenopausal.

* link to commercial website and related info removed by hb-mod, moderator *

Unfortunately I am not a candidate for HRT. I have to take other venues for releif from these crazy and sometimes even terrifying symptons.They seem to work alright in helping to manage the worst part.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-09-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or information regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
(female)

lovecanada HB User

It looks like symptoms of anemia...have you had your hemoglobin checked? I would say you need to get that checked out ASAP. I am certain that's what it is!

Last edited by lovecanada; 07-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
(female)

trashynovels HB User

I have been experencing regular symptoms for over 2 years now. They do seem to be getting worse, with light headedness now playing a part. I work with male supervisors who have no idea how dibillitating a hot flash can be . It somestimes stops me in my tracks because of the head swimming,and sweating episodes. My question is; Can I be terminated for not being as productive as a male who is not undergoing this physiological change that I have no control over? I no longer have medical so that I can go get a doctor's note.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
(female)

Isaa HB User

Hi there,
I am soooo sorry you have been experiencing these horrendous symptoms, but I am so relieved to hear that I am not alone. I too have been going insane for the last three months or so trying to figure out with little help from physician as to what is going on with me. It started three months ago out of noowhere with a severe body rush and feeling like I was going to faint, and of course I panicked as I had never felt anything like this before. I thought I was dying. After about 15 horrific minutes the symptoms went away for a month or so and reappeared later in the same fashion except accompanied by more dreadful symptoms; heart palpitations, constant headaches and lately the dizziness, palpitations, wobbeling feeling, , and terrible pain in my legs and when I try to lay down I too feel my body trembeing from side to side and I can't sleep. For days now I have felt so bad to the point of not being able to go to work. Today I got my period and the symptoms are less severe but still there. I had blood work done twice and two ecg's since the onset and everything has come back totally normal. This is the scariest feeling, and I know exactly how you feel. I pray that this will leave us both, NOW!! Love and prayers to you.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
(female)

Isaa HB User

Hi I was replying to another members comments as they were the same as mine. I am not anemic, I have been tested twice. I believe she was on the menopausal symptoms thread.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
(female)

Isaa HB User

Hi LoveCanada,
Yes I have been tested for anemia twice since this began, and both times the results came back totally normal. So as far as I know, I am not anemic.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
(female)

Isaa HB User

Hi BuzzyBee,
I am soooo sorry you have been experiencing these horrendous symptoms, but I am so relieved to hear that I am not alone. I too have been going insane for the last three months or so trying to figure out with little help from physician as to what is going on with me. It started three months ago out of noowhere with a severe body rush and feeling like I was going to faint, and of course I panicked as I had never felt anything like this before. I thought I was dying. After about 15 horrific minutes the symptoms went away for a month or so and reappeared later in the same fashion except accompanied by more dreadful symptoms; heart palpitations, constant headaches and lately the dizziness, palpitations, wobbeling feeling, , and terrible pain in my legs and when I try to lay down I too feel my body trembeing from side to side and I can't sleep. For days now I have felt so bad to the point of not being able to go to work. Today I got my period and the symptoms are less severe but still there. I had blood work done twice and two ecg's since the onset and everything has come back totally normal. This is the scariest feeling, and I know exactly how you feel. I pray that this will leave us both, NOW!! Love and prayers to you.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
(female)

GoneInsane HB User

Wow! I am new to this board and have been reading all the posts on peri and menopause. I am soon going to turn 47 and have been going through the same symptoms. Headaches, lightheaded (almost everyday), chest tightness, neck achy, fatigue and no-concentration what-so-ever. The funny this is that, I have searched the internet to no end about peri and almost every site concentrates on hot flashes. Does anyone know of a site that tells all? I have been to the emergency more times than I can count. They can't find a thing wrong with me. At first I thought I was having a heart attack (been checked out by 2 cardiologist) and everything has come back fine. I've had to 2 endoscopies, MRI and have been seen by 2 different ENT docs for vertigo - only to find out that there is nothing wrong with me. I've also had scans and ultrasounds done - everything and I mean everything done twice and come back normal.
I am married with 2 boys (ages 16 and 14) - great hardworking husband and very supportive kids. They have missed so much school only to stay home with me and my symptoms - could someone please tell me if all this is peri (I did not get my period last mo. first time missed).
Going insane can anyone shed some light for me?
Would be very much appreciated!!

The following user gives a hug of support to GoneInsane:
Jarlena (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
(female)

Jarlena HB UserJarlena HB User

Dear GoneInsane...

I could have written your post and yes these are horrible debilitating symptoms that are not the usual kind you find online or in menopause books, but they are REAL and many women are experiencing them. With regards to fainting, as I have come closer and closer to actually ending my periods--at 42! I have started experiencing that same sensation which almost brought me to the ER now on several occasssions.

I can tell you never in all my life have I ever known what the sensation of fainting felt like until I hit the later stages of peri and its the scariest feeling in the world. I have never blacked out actually, but all of a sudden I feel very dizzy and off balance like the floor is tipping, then I get EXTREME weakness in my arms legs and even my neck, like it cant hold up my head, and then you get this woozy feeling like your about to lose consciousness. I havent so far, but I have come close and of course I am thinking there is some fatal horrific illenss happening to me. I am scheduled to see 3 new doctors in the next 3 weeks, between them all they have to find something....hopefully menopause/late stage peri is all it will be.

....God bless, Jarlena

Last edited by moderator2; 05-09-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Ladies, please look into getting your hormones tested by an endocrinologist. We live in a toxic world and a lot of our problems are due to exposure to chemicals that upset our hormones. Check out Estrogen Dominance and see if you've got any of the symptoms/side effects that that brings. Get your blood sugars tested too to make sure you're not having sugar issues. If you eat soy, check out the issues associated with it. It's a phytoestrogen and messes with your estrogen levels. It's being put in too many foods now and can cause problems without you even realizing it. Get your vitamin levels checked to make sure you're not low in Vitamin D and the B vitamins.

Closed Thread