It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

Damia HB User
Newbie: Bioidentical hormones - how to get?

Hello, I'm 52 and have been in menopause 3 years. When my periods stopped, so did my sex drive - I feel nothing at all inside. I might as well be neuter, although I still notice men. I love my husband, think he has a beautiful body, and feel sorry for him because he always loved being able to turn me on. I have had no other menopause symptoms so far.

Because I have had benign fibromas/lipomas/cysts in my breasts from time to time, all the Dr's I have seen, refuse to prescribe HRT. In fact the last gyno I saw - a woman in her late 30's - brusquely told me "half my patients have this problem [no libido]" and that HRT would do me no good. She really was quite dismissive.

She prescribed testosterone cream to rub on the clitoris, and estrogen tablets [note: VERY expensive, and insurance only covers a 90-day supply] to insert in the vagina - they eased vaginal dryness, but did nothing for the loss of all sexual feeling.

I keep reading that other women have had success by using pharmacist-compounded bioidentical hormones, but I have no idea how to get them. How does the pharmacist know how to compound them? It must take a doctor's prescription, right? Should I keep searching till I find a gyno who will talk to me about these hormones?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Newbie: Bioidentical hormones - how to get?

The doctors are probably concerned for an increased risk in cancer for you if they prescribe anything. The only thing that I know you can get is Progesterone without a RX. It's not bioidentical but you can get some at any healthfood store or over the web.
Have you had your hormone levels checked? Do you take any meds for any problems? Meds can reduce your libido. It's a sad situation. I'm dealing with some of this myself along with other health issues. Hopefully your husband is understanding and will support you. Try to stay positive. You could try other doctors. You never know if someone out there has a different point of view. How about a more natural doctor? Sometimes they have a different outlook on these things. It's a tough time of life. That's why they call it the "Change of Life". Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

Val7 HB User

You need to search around a find a doctor who uses bioidentical hormone treatment for menpausal women. They would be able to check your hormone levels a write a prescription for what you need. Some compounding pharmacies will do a saliva test to see what your hormone levels are and work with you. I found my doctor in the phone book advertisement and I have also found useful information on the internet. Start asking and checking around where you live. I had no idea what I would find until I started looking. I hope you find what you need.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-17-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
(female)

Val7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92261 View Post
The doctors are probably concerned for an increased risk in cancer for you if they prescribe anything. The only thing that I know you can get is Progesterone without a RX. It's not bioidentical but you can get some at any healthfood store or over the web.
Have you had your hormone levels checked? Do you take any meds for any problems? Meds can reduce your libido. It's a sad situation. I'm dealing with some of this myself along with other health issues. Hopefully your husband is understanding and will support you. Try to stay positive. You could try other doctors. You never know if someone out there has a different point of view. How about a more natural doctor? Sometimes they have a different outlook on these things. It's a tough time of life. That's why they call it the "Change of Life". Good luck.

You need to get with a doctor who uses natural bioidentical hormone treatment for menopausal women. They are safe to use. All the studies done on hormone treatment were done using synthetic hormones and when they say hormone treatment can cause some serious problems they don't distinguish between natural hormones and synthetic hormones. They just lump them altogether. Pharmaceutical companies don't want to see us change to bioidentical hormones because they can't put a pattent on them because they are taylor made to fit each woman on an individual basis. They want ALL the money! Anyway there are some good books out on the subject. Dr.Phil's wife has one, Robin McGraw. (I don't know the name but it shouldn't be hard to find) And I highly recomend a book I read on the subject called "Natural Hormone Balance for Women" by Uzzi Reiss. I hope you find the help you need.

Val7

Closed Thread