It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Perimenopause and constant bleeding

History - 48 yrs old and peri meno past 2 years with up to 5 months no periods then get constant bleeding for months on end. Have twice had all the tests- month ago had hysteroscopy with biopsy, ultrasound, mri scan of abdomen and pelvis and bloods including CA125 and only finding was benign ovarian cyst size of orange.
I do not want to take synthetic hormones and only thing on offer was mirena coil or hysterectomy.
I have been bleeding since April except for 11day break two weeks ago but for past two weeks have been flooding and very heavy. UP to now I have not got aneamic at all which is amazing but sure that if this continues I will.
I am going back to Gp tomorrow to get blood tests to check my iron levels.
I have appt with private Dr on Wed to start natural progesterone cream.
I feel very alone with this constant bleeding and as we are moving house as well its all very stressful.
Is there anyone on here who has experienced this never ending bleeding or who has had success with natural progesterone - what side effects can I expect from natural progesterone cream etc et c
I will if I have to end up with a hysterecotmy but its a major op and i have other health problems that would make it harder for me.

The following user gives a hug of support to Gavi112:
motownmom (05-16-2011)
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Perimenopause and constant bleeding

I am so sorry you are bleeding so much. I am in peri too. I am 44 and been going through tons of symptoms for 4 years now. I however haven't had the heavy bleeding. Only on the first day of my period it was heavy and I was clotting. But I started on the natural Progesterone/testosterone bioidentical hormone cream a couple months ago. It has tamed down the bleeding when I do have a period each month. The pharmacist who makes this for me told me we should NOT bleed heavy and clot like that. That means you are low on Progesterone and testosterone. I barely had any left when I took the saliva test. Now I am getting it replaced with the natural creams. I hope and pray this will be the answer for you. Bleeding heavy like that is scary. They say I am low on Iron too. So I have had to try and get that into my diet. The iron pills make me SO SICK! I can't take them.

Hang in there. Always here to talk ok!! This is a hard time in our lives, but we will make it!

Last edited by TEdds83; 07-26-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
(female)

Gavi112 HB User

thanks Tedds for taking the trouble to reply I appreciate it.
I am praying that the nat prog works.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
(female)

jill60 HB User

I had the heavy bleeding for months straight. The progesterone cream didn't help me. I first tried the NovaSure. That didn't work either so I ended up having a hysterectomy.
Sometimes a D & C will help too.
Good Luck

Jill

Last edited by jill60; 07-26-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
(female)

McRegnal87 HB User

I had similar to you a few years back and tried the Mirena which made it worse, took various pills etc which had no effect , my gynaecologist offered a hysterectomy but I refused and asked if I could have microwave endometrial ablation which I had with great success, it reduced my bleeding to a normal period every 28 days for another two years and then my periods stopped entirely. I am now 52 and have recently had two post menopausal bleeds after 19 months of nothing and am having investigations. The only down side to the ablation procedure is that it makes it difficult for a Dr to do a biopsy in the outpatients clinic and so I will have to have hysteroscopy to find out if anything is wrong. I'm surprised you haven't been offered this as it is quite a common procedure now. Do some research on the subject and if you think its for you ask your Dr at the next appointment
Mc

Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Gavi,

Before considering an ablation, look into having a D & C procedure (dilation and curettage). This sometimes takes care of the problem. If this does not work, then you can consider the Novasure technique.

I assume that the bleeding is not coming from uterine fibroids, right ? Oftentimes fibroids are the cause of heavy bleeding and these can be taken care of either through surgical removal or through starving off their blood supply (a day procedure which does not require general anaesthesia).

You do have other choices besides a hysterectomy and your doctor should be discussing these with you before recommending such a radical procedure. Oh and by the way, the Mirena IUD, as far as I know, releases hormones, just like the birth control pill so you may not do so well on this either (you said that your body does not tolerate hormones well).

Hang in there and I am sure that you will find a solution to this problem soon.

All the best.

Estria

Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
(female)

Gavi112 HB User

Thanks everyone - the consultant mentioned the ablation but he said it would not stop the bleeding completely if its caused by hormone imbalance just reduce it and it does not work for everyone - I have some tiny fibroids but these are not causing the problem as i have had them since I was in my 20's and these could reduce effectiveness of ablation.

Saw my GP today and had blood test for iron levels - she said to try other things before getting hysterectomy like the coil or ablation and only have hysterectomy if all else fails.

Closed Thread