It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
(female)

looking4advice HB User
Question provera (medroxyp ac 10 mg) question?

So.....After waiting and waiting and waiting to get into an ob/gyn office I finally got an appointment at a new gyn. This was in regards to bleeding everyday for a month then having about 2 weeks of no bleeding and now bleeding again for the past month. First I should say that the bleeding is actually intermittant throughout the day but when it does come sometimes it is heavy and sometimes not so much. Back to dr. appointment....I went the other day and she prescribed provera 10 mg. for 12 days then she said when I go off of it that I would probably bleed a lot because it will be shedding all the excess blood (or something like that). I am really bummed right now because I have taken 2 doses of the provera but am still bleeding - I guess I was expecting that to go away at least until after the last dose. A little background on myself - 51 years old, three years ago I had a lot of bleeding but it was different than now and I had a transvaginal ultrasound and endometrial biopsy - ultrasound showed enlarged uterus, two moderately large fibroids and questionable polyp in endometrial canal. As I said I did have a biopsy and was told that was fine. Had a normal pap about a year ago. Now I am a little concerned about bleeding every day (just hoping it is perimenopause!) I am scheduled for a transvaginal ultrasound in about two weeks or so. Any advice about any of this and also does anyone know anything about provera? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: provera (medroxyp ac 10 mg) question?

I've been on and off provera (10 mg) for a couple of years now (I'm 51 also). It started when my periods where only 2 weeks apart - my gyn had me taking it for 10 days a month -starting on day 5 of my period. This helped make the cycles a bit longer - I would stop bleeding and usually start again about 4 days after stopping the pills.
I only did this for about 4 months - after that I was somewhat back to normal for a while - then I had one month long period that was very heavy, so she put me back on it - the same schedule - but for th first 5 days she had me double the dose - that stopped the bleeding and I was on the provera for another 6 month.
While this was going on, I had two endometrial biopsy's - they came back normal. I went off the provera again and things weren't too bad. Last year I had another endo. biopsy and it came back slighly atypical, so I had a D&C and was put back on provera. I now take it from Day 1 to day 12 of each month, weather I have a period or not. I'm only having them about every 2- 3months now.
I'm acutally gong back to the GYN next week for my re-check, which will include another boipsy. I'm hoping to get off the provera, since I'm not haveing too many periods now, and when I do, they are much lighter.

Hope some of this info helps. My GYN attributes all of the to perimenopause - even the atypical biopsy results.

Mary

Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
(female)

looking4advice HB User
Re: provera (medroxyp ac 10 mg) question?

Thanks Mary. I appreciate your info. I am still a little confused what to expect and I am certainly not looking forward to transvaginal ultrasound! Gyn says that she may want to do D & C after getting results from ultrasound but I would rather do the endo biopsy first. (I really am afraid of anesthesia with d & c....I know that sounds silly but it frightens me.)

Closed Thread