It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
(female)

MAVsmommy HB User
Bleeding through a super plus tampon in an hour and SUPER cramps

OK...I am going crazy. I hardly slept last night, I was either changing tampons and dealing with a "mess" or cramping so bad I could barley breath. I am 44 and just starting on this roller coaster. Is anyone else dealing with bad pain? What have you found that helps....my hubbie just ran to the store for me..I certainly cant leave the house right now ????

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Bleeding through a super plus tampon in an hour and SUPER cramps

Bleeding like that is not normal. You should see your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Bless your heart. I am 44 too and going through the change but I only have one heavy day then 2 light days. I am not sure but I have had friends bleed real heavy like that. I would just get to your regular doctor or someone in the clinic in the morning. If you think it is an emergency I would go to the ER. There are things than can give you to stop the heavy bleeding. I do know that hormone changes cause these big swings. Please find out and let us know how you are. Hugs!!

Last edited by TEdds83; 08-02-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
(female)

MAVsmommy HB User

Hi ladies, I was at the doctor about 3 weeks ago because of the same symptoms. All my blood work and my biopsy came out OK and my dr told me to call whim when I had another period. My last period was 3 weeks ago and it lasted for 3 weeks...I have had this super heavy bleen 4 or 5 times now, it lasts about 24 hours give or take. Tedds.....we are the same age. When did your symptpoms start?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

My perimenopause symptoms started at age 40. It's been a steady acceleration of symptoms. I seem to have them all. I feel like life is so unfair to hand me all the symptoms. I am afraid that I will start that heavy bleeding too and that will REALLY scare me. My periods changed about a year ago. I was always having them for 5 days, now they last 3. Real heavy on the first day and CLOTS. yuck! then light for 2 days and gone. This past month that happened and it stopped for 4 days then I spotted again for 1 day and it stopped again. Grrrrrh! This is weird. I have friends who have had the heavy bleeding like you. They even thought they were hemmoraging. They just had heavy periods in menopause. Some have fibroids and had hystorectomies...I guess that stops those heavy periods. I don't know, it's all new to me. I hope you can get yours figured out. Try not to be afraid ok.

I have all the other weird things...like anxiety, weird body symptoms..like muscle twitches (because all my vitamin levels are low like vitamin D calcium and Iron) all caused by changing hormones, I am using the biodentical hormone creams to try and raise my hormone levels. I have gained 30 pounds in the last few years. Mostly in my stomach. I was always trim. I am 5'8 and was about 135 to 140 my whole life and now I weigh about 170ish...lol and it's in my gut. My hair has thinned out. My skin is dry. I only have to wash my hair about every 4 or 5 days. I use to wash it every day or two. So many things are changing on me. I am afraid that I am going crazy. My life is consumed with worried thoughts. I used to sing and play the piano all the time and just have a good time. Now this whole peri thing is consuming my life. I am running to the doctor all the time having them take my blood and run tests to see what's wrong with me. This is not how God intends us to live life. I don't know if anyone can relate to me. It's just how I feel. I take it a day at a time.

I do pray your bleeding eases up. I almost guarentee this is hormonal and your body is changing alot right now. See if you can get a hormone saliva test. You can get some bioidentical creams and they can get your progesterone and testosterone levels up and you won't bleed like that. That's what causes that heavy bleeding when you are estrogen dominant. The pharmacist told me that. She helped me with the test.

Have a great evening. I am here for you anytime. You aren't alone ok!
Blessings!!

Last edited by TEdds83; 08-02-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

MAVSmommy,

I would suggest that you stop using tampons for a while and see exactly what your menstural flow is. If you soak up a super absorbent pad in just a half hour then I would seek help. Remember that it is quite normal to bleed alot during peri-menopause, but using a tampon doesn't tell you alot about what is really going on. Like the other post said, fibroids may have something to do with it. That doesn't mean you have to have them removed, it just means that they may need to do an ultrasound to see what they are doing.

Clots are completely normal during peri-menopause. The only time you should worry about them if they are bigger than a chicken egg.

I would suggest if you are not taking a vitamin supplement, you should, especially one with iron. Increasing your iron intake will really help if you are really bleeding that much. A glass of red wine is loaded in iron and also helps with your nerves and anxiety. If you prefer, Welch's Grape Juice does the same thing, also beets!!!

I bleed out all of the time on super tampons, it doesn't mean we are bleeding too much, just switch to a pad for awhile so you know exactly what your dealing with. Remember clots are normal with peri-menopuase. My last period I bled out things that looked like rope!! What's with that? Things change so don't get panicked, we all our going through this together.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Forgot to add, to all of you who are one progesterone cream, whether it is over the counter or bioidentical or prescribed, it may cause bleeding between periods or even after your periods have stopped.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
(female)

MAVsmommy HB User

OK how sad is this...I am bleeding so bad I am on my laptop in the loo! I dont even want to try a tampon right now as it's so bad I dont think it would have time to absorb so I'll just sit here and hope it lets up. I am so tired and want to go to bed....it figures it seems to be the worse at night. I dont think I could stand using just a pad missy, I would need something like they gave me after I had my son, like a diaper! so if I ever get off the pot...2 tampons and a pad and I will hope to sleep at least a few hours tonight. So glad I found this board for support....I couldnt imajine having to go this alone. I have my amazing husband, but a woman who's going through the same thing is the best support.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

missy222 gives good advice, and even if you dislike wearing pads, they really are a good idea right now. there are any number of different ones out there, these days it's about absorbancy not size so there are some super-thin ones which are more absorbant than the huge, bulky ones of the past.
also remember that a little blood goes a long, long way. blood loss during a normal period is 35-40 millilitres - about 3-4 teaspoons - although anything between 10-100 mls is still considered normal. you are obviously experiencing abnormal blood loss at present, but then most of us do at various times during peri, i did myself, and we learn to deal with it in the best way we can.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Missy222,
You are the first person who has mentioned returning periods from using progesterone cream! I hadn't had a period in almost 2 years, started on the progesterone pills and right now am having a period. I haven't had an ultrasound yet, but my doctor wants me to have one when I get home from our trip.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User

I have this as well. Not every month but most. Very heavy very clotty very painful. I have a pretty big fibriod so i am use to pain. However, lately, the cramping and pain will start days before my period. It travels down my inner thighs almost to my knees. Thank god after the first day and a half of my period it subsides and my flow gets lighter. It seems insane. Yet I am believing it to be normal for me and not rushing off to the Dr about it. I do not want a hysto either. My fibriod is located in an area that typically does not cause the bleeding some women have off and on during the month. Mine is just heavy at period time. I am going to wait it out and hope it gets better when peri meno is over. good Luck and hang in there! I think your only real concern is making sure you are not anemic.

Last edited by lauralu2000; 10-22-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitt44 View Post
Missy222,
You are the first person who has mentioned returning periods from using progesterone cream! I hadn't had a period in almost 2 years, started on the progesterone pills and right now am having a period. I haven't had an ultrasound yet, but my doctor wants me to have one when I get home from our trip.
Howitt44,

Just curious, how did your ultrasound go? Was it something else or the progesterone pills? My friend just started progesterone pills last month and has spotting.
Missy

Closed Thread